Weird PCM Issue

Majorpecs

Reaction score
Okay I bought a hydra and was going to install it but ran into a wall. I unscrewed the adapter bolt in the middle, disconnected the harness. I then took out the upper and lower 10mm bolts and removed the gasket.

Then when I went to slide out the PCM it would not slide out at all. I moved around in the holder but wouldn't slide for anything, almost as if something was holding it in place.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you end up getting it out? I'm scared I'm going to break something by yanking on it and pulling as hard as I am. All the videos I've seen show it slide right out.

mcnance865

Reaction score
When grabbing the back of the PCM/case, did you push straight over to the right towards center of the cab before pulling back? You have to cock it at an angle so you can get it to pull out.

Majorpecs

Reaction score
I didn't specifically do that, but I yanked and tugged and tried just about everything. I'll take it back apart and try that specifically and see what happens.

So you're saying to pull the front of it up to cock it then try to slide it?

golfer

Reaction score
I didn't specifically do that, but I yanked and tugged and tried just about everything. I'll take it back apart and try that specifically and see what happens.

So you're saying to pull the front of it up to cock it then try to slide it?

the rearmost part of the PCM needs to get cocked toward the centerline of the vehicle.

mcnance865

Reaction score
Are you guys trying to pull the pcm out from the engine or through the firewall inside the cab?

Haha it shouldn't be that hard I know! However, when I did mine it was tougher than I thought it should've been, but once I got the correct angle it just popped out.

OP, you do not pull it back towards you parallel with the truck, it is angle toward the center of the cab.

This is assuming you are pulling from the driver's footwell towards the rear of the truck correct?

EDIT: Are you trying to remove just the silver pcm by itself from the plastic "holder"? It should come out with silver pcm and black plastic case as one unit...

Last edited:

Majorpecs

Reaction score
I'm trying to pull it out from the engine. All the videos I found show removing it from inside the engine bay versus taking apart the e-brake assembly.

So I'm pulling towards the front of the truck from the firewall.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yea. That’s never gonna work in a million years. And you don’t have to take apart the e-brake pedal.

Majorpecs

Reaction score
Let me clarify, this is an OBS 97 F350. If there's a different way please elaborate, it's driving me crazy.

mcnance865

Reaction score
Ah, I did not take that into consideration... Whoops! I have no experience with OBS other than riding around with my granddad 20 years ago.

Arisley

Reaction score
Ah, I did not take that into consideration... Whoops! I have no experience with OBS other than riding around with my granddad 20 years ago.

You are in the Superduty section, not the OBS section, that is the reason for the confusion.

I will move it to the correct section.

JCart

Reaction score
Hmm how far out of the holder is it coming.... mine have always just slid out. You have undone the inner fender liner and pulled it down towards the wheel right? On my trucks the PCM will run into the fender liner so I typically undo a few of the fender liner small bolts under and along fender say up to the top of the wheel arch. Then there is one with a larger fender washer on it at the rear of the tire inside wheel well. Once all these are undone I hook a bungee to hold the fender liner pulled down towards the wheel and PCM slides right out.

j

old man dave

Reaction score
On mine, fenderliner screws are in forever. I use a stick (broomstick, dowel, axe handle, something sturdy).

Cut the stick so it fits between the bottom of the hood hinge and a point just below the PCM on the fenderliner. Gently lower the hood until the fenderliner dents enough for the PCM to just slide out after removing the bolts on the PCM gasket/clamp.

Latest posts

Members online