SXE472

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
The turbo was too good of a deal to pass up plus I have some help with making it work better on the 7.3. Back pressure is not a concern since it won’t see more than 40 psi boost, plus I have a 1.01 housing also. Hopefully it all works according to plan.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Hey guys. I did clean out the air filter today and it was dirty. Also, since I had the turbo out, I went ahead and installed a new set of Riffraff plenums w/ T-bolt clamps that I had in my parts bin. I should have it all buttoned up by tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully this takes care of any issues I was seeing.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Well I figured since I had the turbo and Y pipe out, I might as well go ahead and install the Riffraff billet plenums I had in my parts bin. In doing so, I had to remove part of the Reg/Return hose and 45* fitting thats located on the passenger side head in order to install the R-Raff plenums. So once the plenums were installed, I tried to re-install the 45* fitting back in place as well. Well, it didn't work because of the thickness of the RRaff plenums. The plenums are so thick, that the 45* fitting won't clear the Plenums in order to be able re-attach the Reg/Return hose as well. So at this point, I needed an 1/8" X 1/8" NPT bushing to re-install the 45* fitting. And trying to find the needed 1/8"x1/8"NPT bushing just took me 2 days to find!! Living out in the sticks in W. Texas is great, but it does have it's draw backs. Anyhow, I did find the 1/8" X 1/8" bushing/fitting I needed and the Reg/Return system is now re-installed. I'll check back in tomorrow to let y'all know how it worked out.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
True on that particular issue. I beveled that area out with a die grinder to make it work.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I got it done today. Here's how the engine bay looks all buttoned up.. I'll get a chance to drive it some tomorrow to see how the turbo works. As I said when I disassembled the turbo, I found nothing that stood out at me to indicate an issue with the turbo. So, after the drive I'll come back and post up my findings. Thank you boys.

Attachments

• IMG_0118 (1).jpg
    IMG_0118 (1).jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 113

Countrycar

Reaction score
Well, it all can say now is that the truck is running clean again. I got on it hard today while was out driving, and no blue smoke came out the exhaust. So at this point I'd have to say that is was nothing more than just a dirty air filter. Thank you Zeb.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Just in case anyone else comes across this issue where the turbo won't line up with the CAC piping as mine did. I noticed that the Riffraff plenums are a slightly shorter than the oem plenums. So I figured this should help with the alignment issue, and since I had my turbo removed I took the time to shave off rest of the area on the turbo cover that was hitting on the Y Pipe. So the combination of the 2 worked out nicely and the CAC pipe to Turbo are now almost straight on.
On Edit; This is before the Riffraff plenums, and before I had also completed the removal of the raised nub on the turbo cover. You can see how misaligned the 2 were in this photo..

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
You can see in the photos the difference in height between the OEM plenums and the Riffraff plenums, this allowed for the Y pipe to sit lower as well. In the picture of the turbo cover you can see where I started to remove the raised area on the cover. I did this months ago back when I installed the turbo. This time since I had the turbo out, I went ahead and completely removed the raised area. This is turn helped to allow for further turbo cover rotation. I need to readjust the clamp, but the alignment is much better.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
Hey Guys just an update on how the trucks been running. I'm really liking this SXE472. It can be slightly laggy, but honestly it's not much more than the 38r that I had on there before. Anyhow, I'm just enjoying being able to take it out and just go for a drive with out any issues. I know some of you here have also done some pretty extensive builds, and that I'm not the first one to do it. So when I say that I kept the build with I felt was not past the point of where I would loose all reliability. But at this HP and TQ level I'm not with out the understanding that I'm still susceptible to things going boom.
My next changes in the near future, will be to install and High out put IDM, and I will also be send out the SXE 472 to have it converted to a BB center cartridge, well when I get the time anyhow. I'm anxious to see how much of a difference this will make to the Turbo. From the information and conversations I've had with folks that have done the BB conversion to the sxe472, I'm being told that the Turbo spools 150-200 rpm's sooner. Anyhow, this will be done this summer. For now, I'm just gonna drive it and enjoy it for now. Thank you fellas for all the help and support.

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
My GT4294R(70mm inducer) with .90 turbine housing spools decent but is still slightly slower than the 38R with light pedal effort. If you give it some decent pedal it comes on good but light pedal is for sure laggy.

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
My GT4294R(70mm inducer) with .90 turbine housing spools decent but is still slightly slower than the 38R with light pedal effort. If you give it some decent pedal it comes on good but light pedal is for sure laggy.

Yes sir, I'd have to say the 472 seems to be about the same as you describe your GT4294r. I'm still amazed how much quieter this turbo is than the 38r, every time I drive my truck it puts a smile on my face. It's got a real nice whistle at the tail pipe too. Nothing to obnoxious, just a nice whistle that I don't even hear from inside the cab.

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Yes sir, I'd have to say the 472 seems to be about the same as you describe your GT4294r. I'm still amazed how much quieter this turbo is than the 38r, every time I drive my truck it puts a smile on my face. It's got a real nice whistle at the tail pipe too. Nothing to obnoxious, just a nice whistle that I don't even hear from inside the cab.
The GT42R has a decent whistle also, not the 38R noise but not quiet over 2000 rpm. It sounds like a stock turbo whistle but slightly louder. I'm sure it spools quicker than your 472 but I don't see the BB giving you the gain you want out of the 472.

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
The GT42R has a decent whistle also, not the 38R noise but not quiet over 2000 rpm. It sounds like a stock turbo whistle but slightly louder. I'm sure it spools quicker than your 472 but I don't see the BB giving you the gain you want out of the 472.
Well, to be honest, I'm really liking the Turbo, I have no complaints. It drives great. The truck is used primarily as just a Hot street tuck, some cruising and so on. I don't know if the BB conversion will help down low or not, I've never done a BB cartridge on one of these. I can only relay what I was told by a friend who had this done, as well as what Chris himself has said about these conversions. I have a friend that just did triple's on his 2019. He used an sxe 369 and 2 sxe 472's that he had converted to BB. So this is where I got kinda curious about the BB conversion. I'm by no means unhappy with it now, but I'm anxious to see just how big a difference it'll make. I'll try to do some before and after comparisons, but it won't be until the summer before I can get to it.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Did you ever get around to the bb conversion?

No sir I never did the BB conversion on sxe472. It's been one problem after another trying to get the truck to the point where I can just drive it with out issue. And again, the truck is actually down rightnow. About 2 months ago I discovered that I have a very small amount of coolant in my Oil so it's been parked ever since. I just picked up another block for the next rebuild that will take place in the next few months when I get time to pull it.

Latest posts

Members online