7.3 oil in fuel runs rough

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well I just got it out of the shop to what was the idm relay and some bent pcm pins. Then I had to get the upipes sealed off behind the turbo and found the map sensor to be bad. Since I got it running Friday night wth turbo making boost it felt like it was struggling to get fuel. Still the turbo was hitting 20lbs on the meter but spoiling slower than I thought it would have since it’s a new kc stage 1 ball bearing turbo. So last night me and a friend had been doing a little fishing on our way home it stalled out. Was close to another friends house so we got fuel in a jug and pored it in. The gauge was reading real close to empty but I felt like it still had fuel. Fired it up and ran rough for min then cleared up and was running like it had been. Then she started losing power and stalling out. Finally limped her on home. Just drained the water separator and there it is”black gold,Texas tea! Yup oil in the fuel,and a lot of it. Looks like orings. Any other guesses to what it could be?

DieselDC

Reaction score
Nope just injector o-rings guaranteed!

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”

Dirtclod

Reaction score
350k around about miles ain’t too bad. I suppose I’ll go ahead and do new injectors,cups,glo plugs,hpop the whole shooting match. I’d like to shoot for 450hp with 238/80’s. Question is should do any rebuild to the engine? Head gaskets,seals,bearings,head job? What’s you guys opinions?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Cups are one of those things if there are no signs of failure I would leave it alone.

Simple build for the power you want. Injectors, hpop, tuning, done. The KC turbo should support 450hp easy enough. Reseal your intake manifolds and any other oil leaks while there. IMO there's no sense to overthink that setup.

DieselDC

Reaction score
350k around about miles ain’t too bad. I suppose I’ll go ahead and do new injectors,cups,glo plugs,hpop the whole shooting match. I’d like to shoot for 450hp with 238/80’s. Question is should do any rebuild to the engine? Head gaskets,seals,bearings,head job? What’s you guys opinions?

fix yo’ur leaky injectors / get new ones. You don’t need a rebuild for 450/500hp. Question being when will your block take a chit. If you want a solid reliable 450, do below.

This is for 500hp (I mean wth stop at 450 hehe)

500hp daily driver / full build
340cc hybrids (lots of room to grow - cracked block b4 you max out the output of these sticks)
modded H2E 71/19cm
gen3 HPOP
aeromotive big honkin pump
sump in tank--3/4 line to filters--5/8 to itp reg return
DI headers
3.5 downpipe,
4" exhaust out the back
.030 over bottom end studded and girdled,& balanced
crowers rods
cosmetics head gasket
Swamps tuning
BTS backin it up.
ARP head studs 250-4201

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Cups are one of those things if there are no signs of failure I would leave it alone.

Simple build for the power you want. Injectors, hpop, tuning, done. The KC turbo should support 450hp easy enough. Reseal your intake manifolds and any other oil leaks while there. IMO there's no sense to overthink that setup.

Sounds like my plan. My truck does have other issues. Suspension is wore out, and interior needs work. Need body work done to bed and a paint job. He’ll most people would say scrap it I guess. It might take me a year to go through it but I think it’s worth it.

Petro

Reaction score
Or instead of spending 20 grand he could just go with a set of 238's, an upgraded hpop (a few to choose from), upgraded fuel pump and fuel system, a KC charger, and some custom tuning. Should crack 450 or 500 all day and won't break the bank doing it and will be very reliable. Valve springs would also be a good addition but probably not needed.

Last edited:

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Or instead of spending 20 grand he could just go with a set of 238's, an upgraded hpop (a few to choose from), upgraded fuel pump and fuel system, a KC charger, and some custom tuning. Should crack 450 or 500 all day and won't break the bank doing it and will be very reliable. Valve springs would also be a good addition but probably not needed.

Yea what he said. Now it’s finding the right tuner and injector combo. I’m thinking shop for the tuner and what he recommends for my application. I’ve sent out some emails just waiting on on some replies.

Petro

Reaction score
Yea what he said. Now it’s finding the right tuner and injector combo. I’m thinking shop for the tuner and what he recommends for my application. I’ve sent out some emails just waiting on on some replies.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sizing with a 450hp goal. Hell a 175/30 will make that power or come damn close. I personally would go with a small hybrid with an 80 or 100% nozzle and call it a day. If you go with hybrids, your factory hpop may keep up fairly well if it's healthy. Would help you cut a little expense.

Last edited:

Dirtclod

Reaction score
There’s lots of tuners and vendors here to go with. I’m sure the top names build really good injectors and the tuners mentioned on this site I’m sure you could just about reach in a hat. I’ve noticed some hybrids are 238cc and some are 200cc. And what I’ve read some tuners like one over the other. I’ve actually only talked to a couple guys who have done these kind of builds. One guy had 250/200’s and towed his fifth wheel camper and daily driver with no issues and manageable egts. What I want to avoid is not being able to manage egts and tearing up transmissions. I really like my built tranny except the tc. It’s definately coming out and a billet going in. My stall is just way too high. After it gets going it shifts firm and and while pulling loads it seems to be right where it needs to be.
Problem is there’s so many different write ups on setups and different tuners and injector builders saying you can’t tow heavy with this and then others say they can tune them to do whatever they want. I’ll just call or try and get in touch with some tuners and get some opinions on what to do. There’s too much info sometimes and that can get confusing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.