P0607 - Control Module Performance code

Smokyred

Reaction score
Hey guys, I went out to fire up my 6.4 the other day to take it to work. It had been sitting for a few weeks and the batteries were low. It cranked over a little slow but fired up fine. When I was on my way home from work I noticed the check engine light come on.

I hooked up AE on my laptop and the only code that is coming up is P0607-Control Module Performance. I can't really find anything on this code at all. If I clear it, it will usually reset on the second or third drive cycle.

I'm wondering if I can just return it to stock then load up a tune again, or if I permanently corrupted the TCM, I'm thinking that is what the code is for.

Other than the code being active, the truck runs and shifts just fine the same as before.

Thanks,
Dave

Smokyred

Reaction score
I guess not many people have run into seeing this code on it's own yet.

I went ahead and returned the truck to stock, and then retuned it. Since then the code has not returned after ~10 drive cycles and seven warm-up cycles.

My thought is low battery voltage while cranking corrupted the file, it seems possible to me.

Dave

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
From WSM:

REPROGRAM or UPDATE the calibration. CHECK for other DTCs and DIAGNOSE those first. MAKE SURE to check for aftermarket performance products before installing a new TCM . CLEAR the DTCs, REPEAT the self-test. If the DTC returns, INSTALL a new TCM .

That code is only listed for the TCM. They are pretty fragile when it comes to low voltage. I'm thinking you got off lucky without having to replace the TCM. Test those batteries, and if you are going to let it sit for long periods of time get a battery tender or unhook the batteries.

Just my .02

Smokyred

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

The batteries are the originals, so they're probably getting tired. I'll clean terminals and load test them this week. Winter is when you find weak batteries, I've been replacing them in droves in our trucks at work!

Dave

BigNiner19

Reaction score
I'm getting this code practically every single start up. I can turn the key to on, clear the code and the start the truck to keep the code from turning on. But if I just go and start the truck without clearing the code first, the P0607 Code will instantly throw check engine light.

brand new batteries. very clean connections. Truck starts right up and drives great.

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Bump even 2 years later...Still doing it. Truck typically drives perfectly. Every once and a while for whatever reason it will get stuck in 3rd,4th, or even 5th even when coming to a complete stop. But after moving the shifter into park and back to drive (after stopping ofcourse) it will be normal again. Could this be related?

Reaction score
Bump even 2 years later...Still doing it. Truck typically drives perfectly. Every once and a while for whatever reason it will get stuck in 3rd,4th, or even 5th even when coming to a complete stop. But after moving the shifter into park and back to drive (after stopping ofcourse) it will be normal again. Could this be related?

Did you figure it out? Mine is doing the samething. I'm thinking the TCM is going bad.

Grn99gt

Reaction score
Did either of you guys figure out your problem?

I have the same code (P0607) on my 2010 with an H&S tuner. Tried returning to stock and then retuning. No dice. Batteries are right at 12.5 volts resting, but I haven't load tested them.

I'm running out of ideas other than replacing the TCM.

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Did either of you guys figure out your problem?

I have the same code (P0607) on my 2010 with an H&S tuner. Tried returning to stock and then retuning. No dice. Batteries are right at 12.5 volts resting, but I haven't load tested them.

I'm running out of ideas other than replacing the TCM.

Still in the exact same boat.

Grn99gt

Reaction score
I got nothing. Was thinking about going out and troubleshooting more today. Will let you know if I find anything.

Grn99gt

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the code to clear, but it required a new TCM from Ford. I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear.

I had checked both batteries, and even swapped them out. Checked the connection on the TCM and PCM, and all grounds I could find. Cleaned battery cables, and still nothing. Finally gave up and bought a new TCM for the VIN of my truck.

Only bright side is that it didn't require any flashing from Ford. I returned the truck to stock, installed the new TCM, and then installed my tune. Finally no CEL!

Lasor1

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. I have a 2010 6.4 with a sct. 4 tuner on it. The truck run great and had no problem for along time the. Over winter the truck sets a lot an the batteries died. I replaced them and I got the p0607 pcm code. I can clear it out and at first truck ran fine but the. It started throwing code while driving it or starting every time now days. The truck still ru s good but every once in a while it shifts a little funny and acts like you let off the throttle for a second and then it just comes on with it. But doesn’t do that every time. I have tried relax I got back to stock and back to custom tune and have had no luck checked all cables connectors relays fuse everything seems to be in good working condition. Could my problem be a tcm not a pcm as well thanks for your time

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the code to clear, but it required a new TCM from Ford. I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear.

I had checked both batteries, and even swapped them out. Checked the connection on the TCM and PCM, and all grounds I could find. Cleaned battery cables, and still nothing. Finally gave up and bought a new TCM for the VIN of my truck.

Only bright side is that it didn't require any flashing from Ford. I returned the truck to stock, installed the new TCM, and then installed my tune. Finally no CEL!

thank you for the update. I will probably need to replace mine. Just havent done it, since the truck still runs fine. That check engine light sucks though.

How hard was the TCM install?

Reaction score
I used to get this code. Reflashed back to stock and drove around for a while eventually showed up again. Flashed the tune back and it was gone for a while but then would keep coming back. Ended up Replaced the TCM on the frame rail and it went away.

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Still have the problem. Only unfortunately, it seems to have now gotten worse. After years of just the check engine light coming on and no other issue arising. I now have a situation when I put the truck in reverse or drive, the indicator lights click/flicker and the truck stumbles and sometimes come back on, and some times just shuts off all together.

I still only get the same code. If I leave the truck in park or nuetral, it will idle fine all day. I've got to assume TCM has completely fried. Waiting until Tuesday to hook up to IDS.

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Problem SOLVED! I was able to confirm the TCM had failed. Not a single dealership in the country had a TCM in stock. I found a module company called "Module Experts" and they were very familiar with the issue and sent me a reman module. Plug and play, everything works great again.

Goober

Reaction score
New here, have this code show up on my 08, did searching forever.. connections, batteries etc. actually pulled drivers inner front fender, no chaffing of wires but disconnected harness, cleaned, reconnected harness, trouble code went away on its own..? So I thought, jumped in this morning same damn thing.. truck has less than 70k miles, I’m original owner, not driven hard etc. if needs a reflash? Can a reflash be done with a consumer tuner, such as a SCT? I’m out off ideas! Any help is greatly appreciated