Need a little info on injectors tip sizes

superpsd

Reaction score
Lots of options these days.

Option 1.
Hydra chip allows you to be emailed tuned to try and download without even removing chip. If you data log and are capable of communicating to a tuner to get revisions if needed it should not take that many tries for a decent tune.

Option 2.
Find some one to live tune the truck. Less of an option for some depending on location

Option 3.
Buy Minotaur and definition files and learn how to tune. You can make 1 million revisions without paying for tuning again. You also have the option of buying the quarterhorse emulator chip so you can live tune yourself.

superpsd

Reaction score
Also I want to add in my opinion if you want a good setup make sure all mechanical asspects are in good condition. May also consider a new motorcraft ICP, IPR, CPS to help the pcm to make the correct adjustments. I think this is where one truck runs different from the next the most is the condition of these like the ICP. A inaccurate ICP feedback is going to exacerbate large injectors and nozzles. The PCM given inaccurate information is going to fight making it all run right.

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Lots of options these days.

Option 1.
Hydra chip allows you to be emailed tuned to try and download without even removing chip. If you data log and are capable of communicating to a tuner to get revisions if needed it should not take that many tries for a decent tune.

Option 2.
Find some one to live tune the truck. Less of an option for some depending on location

Option 3.
Buy Minotaur and definition files and learn how to tune. You can make 1 million revisions without paying for tuning again. You also have the option of buying the quarterhorse emulator chip so you can live tune yourself.

Every option you posted has something to do with fine tuning. The tunes will need some type of revision; whether it'll be you or the tuner. What's the difference between having a live session vs emailing back and forth with a tuner different revisions?

I have (4) TS 6 position chips, (1) 4 position chip and DP Tuner chip. I also have AE for datalogging and access to IDS. What do I do with the chips if I decided to go to a Hydra? Also, have read that to get a Hydra to fit in an OBS is a PITA.

Billy T.
[email protected]

superpsd

Reaction score
Live tuning is quicker as changes can be made with the truck running. For example trying to change the idle you will be able to make changes and see the changes immediately. Also a dyno is a good tool to make sure changes are showing improvement. Otherwise you have to make changes. Upload the file and start the truck and without a dyno all tune teating has to be in the real worls on a test track. I can make revisions to a tune and have the tune loaded in a matter of minutes without the live tuning equipment. Best bang for the buck is the Minotaur with Hydra package deal saves you a few hundred.

Last edited:

Peroni

Reaction score
Also, have read that to get a Hydra to fit in an OBS is a PITA.

Absolutely not true, Hydra fits an OBS pcm with no issue. I have one on my truck and have installed 3 in other trucks. No more difficult than any other chip. Hardest part was deciding on where to mount the switch.

superpsd

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Hydra years ago and my PCM has never been removed from the truck. The only issue was getting the chip to slide in with the extension cable. I just had to file some of the excess meat off the back of the cable connector and no problem. Took seconds to fix that issue. Once installed with the extension cable you will never need to pull chip unless there was a failure.

79jasper

Reaction score
Same as Peroni said. Obs is much easier.
I have the extension cable and didn't have to do any of that extra stuff.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DZL JIM

Reaction score
...you guys are aware the factory sends all these trucks out with a canned tune, cant be that different

I didn't know the factory sent out trucks with modified turbos, modified injectors, modified high pressure pumps, modified fuel systems, huge tires that throws gearing and shifting out of whack, etc.

Canned tunes in a stock truck isn't what we are discussing. ;)

m j

Reaction score
I didn't know the factory sent out trucks with modified turbos, modified injectors, modified high pressure pumps, modified fuel systems, huge tires that throws gearing and shifting out of whack, etc.

Canned tunes in a stock truck isn't what we are discussing. ;)

the factory has brutal production tolerances on all those parts just as the aftermarket does.
tuners have the 200% nozzle figured out, sure a live tuning session could make it better depending on the skill of the guy punching the keyboard, but it is not a requirement like a few are contending.

I say the factory turbo is modified, the damn thing spins the wrong way

Swaan

Reaction score
I had multiple tuners try and none could get my 175/80s right. I'm sure a live tune session would of got them dialed but sold truck before I could get it done.

I'm with the anything over 30% nozzle needs a live tune to be right crowd. Meh, maybe I'm just to picky.

Latest posts

Members online