SXE education request

The Brad

Reaction score
Whatcha guys thinking for my setup. Sick and tired of feeling under the turbo. The 3.73 and 35s make the 38r lug. It’s great empty but unless the rpms are screaming it sucks towing. I’ve read so much about the 364.5 that I’m leaning towards that. Just don’t want to be miserable with my eyes glued to the get gauge anymore

You have 38cc more fuel than me, otherwise our setups are identical. After installing the 364, I have no use for the pyro anymore!

mikeeg02

Reaction score
With as much fuel as you have it would be a wash either way. The 364.5 and a 1.0 housing is probably a little better for 35s on 3.73s. The Brad has that setup with 200-80s, and he experienced exactly what you are with the 38r. Now he doesnt need an egt gauge. Neither do I really, unless I am on my all out tune, and even then I dont, because it only gets a little warm and at the end of a run.

LakeBum

Reaction score
I have 35s and 3.73s with STOCK injectos and tow in the 40 and 65HP tow tunes and have no need for the pyro anymore since installing the 364.5/74/.91

uncool

Reaction score
A 366sxe/.91 is not enough air flow for a set of 250/100's on the top end live tunned.

Towing in a mild setting, it is hard to break 1000 egt and very responsive.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t want to be over fueled. I rarely run the pedal to the floor lol. She’s my daily, cant have it broken

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
So priority is DD. But want it to preform better than the 38r. Which would you all go with? The 364 or 366? What size housing ? I see people listing diff turbine sizes for the 364.5, hows the effect the performance?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
A 366sxe/.91 is not enough air flow for a set of 250/100's on the top end live tunned.

Towing in a mild setting, it is hard to break 1000 egt and very responsive.

You'll have to elaborate. You're not much different in fuel than I am. Though I'm running a 1.0 housing. What's your pulse width / icp on your tune that "over fuels" a 366sxe? Who's injectors ?

The Brad

Reaction score
Who has the best kit? CSD one nice?

Both the CSD and Irate kits are quality! I went with the CSD kit because I liked that it uses the stock oil feed and return as opposed to pulling the fuel pump freeze plug in the valley for the return. The 364 will flow more air on top than your 38r and the 366 will flow a lot more air. Both the 64 and 66 will spool quicker than any 38r. Whichever turbo you choose, go with the 74mm turbine and 1.0 housing. If for some reason you decide you want a smaller housing, send me your 1.0 and I’ll semd you my .91.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
That’s the thing, don’t want to go too big and have it be a laggy turd like this. I’m not too concerned about going small with the 364 due to hardly ever putting the coals to it. How big of a difference does the different housings make

The Brad

Reaction score
That’s the thing, don’t want to go too big and have it be a laggy turd like this. I’m not too concerned about going small with the 364 due to hardly ever putting the coals to it. How big of a difference does the different housings make

The only one who can answer that is someone who’s ran both sizes on the same truck. I’ve read people praising how well their 369 tows with 175/80s without being laggy. I’ve talked to mikeeg02 with 238/100s and a 66/74/1.0, Lakebum with stock ADs and a 64/74/.91 and our setups seem to run the same as far as being cool and clean while lugging a heavy load. With 80% nozzles and 35” tires, yours should run identical to mine right up until you exceed 200cc of fuel.

Here’s mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6V4NGfi98&app=desktop

mikeeg02 grossing 26k: https://youtu.be/SZNacIg_cPY

Last edited:

uncool

Reaction score
1023diesel tunes, live tuned by Dusty. Not sure on the PW, but fairly low. I can ask Dusty what he is calling for, but I have a screwy Cali PCM that is not as easy to tune as all the others. Scanner shows ~3400 icp as long as i stay in the throttle. Full Force 250/100's built off of my old 350/200's.

Will make 47 PSI with out trying empty. It is not a haze in tune 4 it is a significant amount of smoke, and just more smoke in tune 5.

It drives amazing in all the tunes, just does not have the airflow on top. Changing to a 1.0 would not buy me anything, nor do I feel a 369/1.0 would help.

I will say these SXE turbos are leaps and bounds above what we had available 10 years ago when it took a 76MM turbo to make the power we do now, tuning also plays a big role.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Have you measured your back pressure at all? When I did mine, Carson really talked me into the 1.0 and I'm glad he did. I wish someone with a .9 would measure boost:back pressure. Mine stays 1:1 to 40ish psi, then goes up to about 44-45 with ~65 psi of back pressure. Which is on the edge of comfortable from the turbo people I've talked with. I just wonder how that one if you're would work with more room in the exhaust. May not be an appreciable amount though.

uncool

Reaction score
I will do it as soon as i get a chance, it will be at least a week from now, but I will report back.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
The only one who can answer that is someone who’s ran both sizes on the same truck. I’ve read people praising how well their 369 tows with 175/80s without being laggy. I’ve talked to mikeeg02 with 238/100s and a 66/74/1.0, Lakebum with stock ADs and a 64/74/.91 and our setups seem to run the same as far as being cool and clean while lugging a heavy load. With 80% nozzles and 35” tires, yours should run identical to mine right up until you exceed 200cc of fuel.

Here’s mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6V4NGfi98&app=desktop

mikeeg02 grossing 26k: https://youtu.be/SZNacIg_cPY

That’s insane. If I tried to do that with my current setup the pistons would be dripping out the exhaust from the EGTS. I guess I could go with a 366 1.0 and if it’s too laggy down low swap a .9 housing on that sum btch

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with someone at CSD. Recommended a 369. They run that on their shop truck with 160/stock injectors. Looking like I’ll prob go with a 366

LakeBum

Reaction score
FWIW, I've yet to read of any combination of an SXE turbo on a 7.3 NOT work well. :rockon:

mikeeg02

Reaction score
With 35s, and wanting to tow and be most DD friendly, I would just get the 364.5/74 with a 1.0 housing. The differences in performance between them are so minimal from the reports out there, but just to be safe with 35s and potential in town traffic, that is what I would do. I can just about promise you that no matter which you do, youre going to love it vs your current setup. Its quite literally a night and day difference.

If you remember, it will feel like the difference between before and after you added your T500 as far as in the seat feeling. Its that significant.

Latest posts

Members online