What kind of code reader to buy...

JUNIOR

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2006 F-350. When I put the truck under a load (like going up a hill or stomping the throttle) it is throwing a code but I don't know what it is. I am looking at getting a code reader and have done alot of reading on different ones but I am not sure what to get. I have looked at AE and Actron Plus (advanced auto) but I am not sure what to get. I am completely stock and looking to do exhaust, oil cooler, and egr delete in the future. Also, I was looking at getting an edge insight cts to monitor everything. Should I just get the edge insight ( or something similar) or should I get a code reader? Also, who has the best prices for something like the Insight? I would need a complete setup including pyro, adapter, monitor, and dash mount. Thanks guys !

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
IMO, if you're having CEL issues now, go with an AE. AE is the most robust, generally available (read: affordable) tool out there that I am aware of. It is a very usefull diagnostic tool. As I'm sure you've read, there are all sort of things the AE can do. Contribution tests, buzz tests, you name it. You can even go into the ABS computer and adjust for bigger tires if need be.

The Insight is a nice all in one monitor. If you're simply looking to pull codes, the CS or CTS would be the way to go. I'm not familiar with all of the parameters the CS or CTS can monitor, so I can't say how useful it would be as a diagnostic tool aside from the normal EOT vs. ECT delta.

Sniper32

Reaction score
:whs: or a second idea would be a edge cts (for monitoring purposes only!!!) it can read your diagnostic as well as monitor temps and pressures that you want to watch(such as oil and coolant temp, trans temp, boost, etc.)
All in all though its about the same price for AE i believe and youll get more out of it

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Get the AE. The Edge will not be a reliable source to read codes.

Explain this pls. How does AE read the codes or whatever? Does it offer more insight than just showing po 901 or can you moniter the truck like a live scanner??

Goose

Reaction score
You can data log with AE. Really data log. It is going to read every code that is stored in the computer while the Edge will not do this. You can adjust your speedometer for lager/smaller tire sizes.

I have 12 codes on my truck right now that a Edge or Scan gauge did not pick up.

Sniper32

Reaction score
Ae is in my mind one of the best tools for a someone that works on or plain old takes care of his truck...if i had 400 right now i would buy it with out hesitation

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My AE has paid for itself a 100 times over.

Ive used it to track down bad injectors, pull codes, etc on my F250.

Ive also used it to find bad coil packs on my excursion, diagnosed I dont know how many friends vehicles with it too.

Well worth the money. Ive even got friends looking into buying the other enhanced vehicle packs for mine so I can test stuff on their dodges and chevies.

Latest posts

Members online