HELP - white smoke at cold start

Rob D

Reaction score
Guys,

I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks now so I can pass my truck along to the next owner 100% free of problems. I have spent a ton of money trying to get it taken care of and am at my wits end. The truck started pouring out white smoke cold starts in the winter. Excessive smoke, I am the original owner and it is not just the typical diesel haze. Smoke smells of raw diesel and completely goes away after a few minutes of driving. While it is warming up it is straight up embarrassing driving the truck. White smoke will cover the road. Truck runs great and strong other wise - no power loss. Truck smokes when programmed back to stock and with tune in. Here is what has been done to attempt to fix:

1 - Brand new 58V ficm from Vivian at quick tricks
2 - Brand new motorcraft batteries from ford
3 - Brought to shop and did power balance - 2 injectors showed up with minor issue - replaced all 8 with ford remans. Injector cups looked like 2 might be bad so I said the hell with it and had my shop lift the cab, put new decked heads, and also had them replace the entire rocker box on both sides as one of my rocker arms was not aligned properly over #1 injector - issue with the valve. Pretty much whole new top end now on the truck. Re-assembly went great according to mechanic.

Tried swapping ECM out with another trucks just for the heck of it - did not help.

We do not know what to do. It is not a coolant issue - I have had GOGOs egr deleted manifold on for years, not losing coolant, did not have blown head gaskets - re did them for the new heads and new injector cups.

Only possible thing I am thinking it could be would be glow plugs or GPM. I would think I would have a code thrown. I have no codes.

At a complete loss and am over 4k into trying to get this damned problem solved. Will not hand over this truck to the new owner without it running properly. Please help.

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
And no fuel in the oil? Do you know the paper towel test?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Was the FICM replaced after this began? How does it run while its acting up?

Rob D

Reaction score
Smoking started. About two weeks later my FICM **** the bed so I figured that was the problem all along. Replaced the FICM myself but the smoke problem didnt go away and thats when I brought to shop. Was worried I had a hung injector. One thing lead to another...

Rob D

Reaction score
only time it runs off at all is if I try to take off right after I start it. It actually stalled once when I did not let her sit for a minute or two. does not like to move if you try to start and go. Literally only needs a minute or two to warm up and then she is fine. As she gets warmed up it gets better and better. Actually is more peppy when cold first couple minutes.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Really seems like an injector issue, or IPR/ ICP problem.

Might check actual vs desired ICP next cold start to see how its acting.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.