What happened when your transmission failed?

doo dah

Reaction score
I have over 200K on my transmission now and it is starting to get real funky. TC lock is really weird in 4th, 3-2 downshift is real harsh, flare from 3-4, and now 5-6 is not really a flare but more like a lunge into gear. When in gear it is strong but I can notice little less power because of slip (maybe?) in the bands or weakness in the pump maybe. Question is what happens when they fail? My E4OD started flashing the O/D light and wouldn't go above 3rd gear, my TH350 would flat out blow up and fail on the spot or slip so bad you couldn't move. My transmission rarely gets over 190 degrees even in the 100 degree heat pulling 15k pounds and no burnt fluid. Other than the shifting between gears it is very drivable so hard for me to pull the trigger for a new one over what could be considered nuisances. Just wondering what the line to be crossed has been for those that have replaced the transmission.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
First question would be is have you changed out your valve body. If not changing a valve body is a 50% fix/patch for some people, the other 50% it doesn't do anything and the trans is to far gone. Do you have a delay going into reverse sometimes. If it's every so often it's a sign your trans is becoming unhealthy. If it happens more frequently that is a sign that it's hurt and should start looking for other options. 11-14 trans are tough even being hurt they can still trudge on for a while even when the clutchs are fried. They will start to do weird things the usual sign is a squeal on the 3-4 shift or a big flare. The 15-17s act like a normal trans when they fail and they will start dropping gears till they don't move.

Jomax

Reaction score
First question would be is have you changed out your valve body. If not changing a valve body is a 50% fix/patch for some people, the other 50% it doesn't do anything and the trans is to far gone. Do you have a delay going into reverse sometimes. If it's every so often it's a sign your trans is becoming unhealthy. If it happens more frequently that is a sign that it's hurt and should start looking for other options. 11-14 trans are tough even being hurt they can still trudge on for a while even when the clutchs are fried. They will start to do weird things the usual sign is a squeal on the 3-4 shift or a big flare. The 15-17s act like a normal trans when they fail and they will start dropping gears till they don't move.

Other then having less clutches. How can the trans die different in a 15+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Codydiesel

Reaction score
I'm just going off what I have seen personally. I had a few people talking to me while there 15+ trans were failing and the rate at which they went from a noticed issue to losing most forward gears was within days to a few weeks at most. On a 11-14 with personal experience on a few trucks that they will show a issue and that issue will get worse but they don't seem to drop gears. They will flair and neutral out but if you let the rpm come down they will still engage that gear and keep driving. I don't know why 15+ go down hill so quickly once they show a issue even though they are only missing a few clutches.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
My guess is the adaptive learning. Might be a bit different computer function on the early trucks. I know that when I beat on mine for a while, little things show up. After a few miles, back to normal.

doo dah

Reaction score
I haven't touched the transmission other than fluid changes, every shop here want to replace the transmission and not work on it. If I can find a shop that will just change the valve body I'll try that and new servos maybe. I have no problems with reverse, just 3-4 flare and not engaging at higher rpm. I do have the squeal 3-4 when heavy on the throttle but not too bad.

04cr450

Reaction score
Mine has 5900 miles on it and I'm getting all kinds of noises coming from the bell housing area. Truck has never seen full throttle and is babied around....
It's kind of a hissing/gear faint noise. Ford tech i took it to says it's normal I dunno.... there were no noises prior so maybe it's breaking in finally... if there is an issue though- smfh

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Mine has 5900 miles on it and I'm getting all kinds of noises coming from the bell housing area. Truck has never seen full throttle and is babied around....
It's kind of a hissing/gear faint noise. Ford tech i took it to says it's normal I dunno.... there were no noises prior so maybe it's breaking in finally... if there is an issue though- smfh

You've never floored the thing?!?

04cr450

Reaction score
Nope lol I am now though wanted to break it in fully... my last oil sample from jim stated my rings still needed to be seated lol this truck is gutless need more power coming from my 6.0 what is the sense of flooring it when it doesn't go anywhere haha we will see though what happens with this transmission, no way these are normal noises coming from it. I hear a 17 calling me

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Nope lol I am now though wanted to break it in fully... my last oil sample from jim stated my rings still needed to be seated lol this truck is gutless need more power coming from my 6.0 what is the sense of flooring it when it doesn't go anywhere haha we will see though what happens with this transmission, no way these are normal noises coming from it. I hear a 17 calling me

Damn dude, drive it like you stole it! Best way to break it In. When I had 1000 miles on my truck and since I was at work for 2 weeks, I would hook onto a heavy ass triple axle dump trailer and beat the hell outta my truck after work to seat everything and get the engine nice and hot...

Jomax

Reaction score
Damn dude, drive it like you stole it! Best way to break it In. When I had 1000 miles on my truck and since I was at work for 2 weeks, I would hook onto a heavy ass triple axle dump trailer and beat the hell outta my truck after work to seat everything and get the engine nice and hot...

I towed 18k up a hill foot to the floor with 800 miles on it. I must've done something right lol.

Jomax

Reaction score

That sucks about the trans. I blame driving it too easy.

04cr450

Reaction score
I call bullchit on that^^ I keep my trucks for a minimum of 10 years- do my break is this way all the time and had zeros issues and that includes the 6 blow motor.
Tech says it's a normal noise- I drove it yesterday and the noise just part of the engine/trans noise. Like I said I think it's just broken in now. I dunno tough to describe with words on how it sounds(or sounded)
I understand and know a hand full of people that drive the pee pee out of their new trucks to break it in- I do things differently- majority of truck owners on here do not keep trucks all long as I do either so they wouldn't know how long the vehicle they broke in lasts for. Just a guess not a fact

On a great note I got my tuning straight now! Thanks to Mike, the noise probably I was thinking was from the different revised tunes I was trying out as well to work out the lag issue i had. All is good now with that.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
break in is different everywhere ya go.. recommended way on the 6.7s is to not set the cruise and run varried speeds on the freeway and stop and go often.. can run it hard...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
Yes I never did the cruise control method until recently when making the trip to ucc... but the truck had 5k on it then. I always worked the truck up to 1/2 throttle say.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I towed 18k up a hill foot to the floor with 800 miles on it. I must've done something right lol.

With the fleets of trucks we've had over the years, it's the ones that got pushed harder from day 1 that lasted longer. The guys that drive them like farmers have issues with stuff plugging off, sooting up etc.They love being worked.

04cr450

Reaction score
I ******d mine at 439 miles so no issues with that- I work the truck I just don't hot rod it every time I drive it. I know I know going to 1/2 throttle is not working it is it?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Btw I really messed this thread up. Major derailed - but at least u guys got to bash me for grannie driving the super duty lmao

Ahahaha, my apologies to the op too. But yes, it's more of a matter of heat cycling the engine to break it in hence hooking up to a trailer if available...

Latest posts

Members online