What does the Army think....

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Have nothig to add but didnt doug write something about silicates on that other place?
Not the frog place.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I'm not sold yet.

Unless I totally missed the point, I believe what Doug was driving at in the thread Smut is talking about was that silicate level in the Motocraft Gold was fairly insignificant. Much less that people have been lead to believe.

Anyone feel like digging up that thread?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
the motorcraft gold is fine as long as you dont forget to change it. it says that its 100,000 mile coolant. WRONG. this stuff should be dumped around 50-60 thousand.

Atsah

Reaction score
the motorcraft gold is fine as long as you dont forget to change it. it says that its 100,000 mile coolant. WRONG. this stuff should be dumped around 50-60 thousand.

I dump it every 50K.. If there was ELC in it I would do the same because my EGR system is still intact and the only way to keep the oil cooler from clogging is to keep clean coolant in the system at all times.. I also trash the thermostat at the same time for good measure.. It's worked for me in two 6.0's..

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
As stated above. The best thing you can do is a regular change interval of 50k, and call it good. Just be sure to follow a regular change Interval. That's the biggest key. Have several trucks Runnin around with several types of coolant. Anything from elc, regular green, amsoil, and what ever they wanted to run that they brought me. As long as you stick to a schedule, and MAINTAIN it it will treat you good. Especially if you run a coolant filter too. This is one of the two life bloods of these motors. Gotta keep it fresh people.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I know doug knows his stuff but something is clogging the sys up

SOBw/thePSD

Reaction score
The biggest advantage of CAT ELC is the fact that it is silicate free. Everything else being said, as long as you keep your coolant system clean, it does really matter what brand you run.

worldwide73

Reaction score
I agree, doesn't matter what u use, you still have to change it. Even ELC, if you think I'm going to leave it my truck for 500,000 miles your crazy. I'll probably change it once every couple years. Same think happens with Dexcool, supposed to last 100,000+ miles so when the car gets to that when its 10 years old the coolant is crap and sludged up. You really need to changed based on time.

Remember the old green stuff.. supposed to change that about every year.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I also believe that with a coolant filter and proper maintenance it really doesn't matter what you run. Change it all at 50,000 mile intervals no matter what you use and you'll always have good coolant.

Mdub707

Reaction score
None of the ELC users seem to care that it's not an approved coolant by Ford for some reason? Nitrite levels... (or was it Nitrate)... don't meet spec.

Latest posts

Members online