Grounding issues?

ToddP

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 17 with 10k miles on it and it’s completely stock. At the ranch we have a cake feeder mounted to a little trailer, I made hook ups to go to your battery to use it. I use it on my 16, our 08 tundra and my brothers 08 6.4 with out a problem. My buddy went to hook it up and his truck nearly burnt to the ground. It somehow shorted and I have no idea how and fried a **** ton of wires. Was able to get it out with a fire extinguisher before it got too far. You can see a main wire behind the glove box is fried and the wiring harness is toast. We loaded it on the trailer and I immediately hooked the feeder to our Toyota and fed the cows.

Has anyone heard of grounding issues? Ford refuses to fix it, but admits a fuse didn’t catch it and this shouldn’t have be able to happened. But they will not fix it under warranty due to hooking cables on it. Running that feeder is no different than jumping off a pickup or someone having a winch on their truck.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Wow man, I hope you get it sorted out. Insurance covering it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of grounding issues? Ford refuses to fix it, but admits a fuse didn’t catch it and this shouldn’t have be able to happened. But they will not fix it under warranty due to hooking cables on it. Running that feeder is no different than jumping off a pickup or someone having a winch on their truck.

If there was no problems with the truck before hooking it up, there's no reason it should be covered under warranty.

I'm willing to guess your buddy made a mistake when he hooked it up (backwards, clamp touching something it shouldn't, etc) and either doesn't want to admit it, or it wasn't caught in the fury to unhook and put the fire out.

sootie

Reaction score
If there was no problems with the truck before hooking it up, there's no reason it should be covered under warranty.

I'm willing to guess your buddy made a mistake when he hooked it up (backwards, clamp touching something it shouldn't, etc) and either doesn't want to admit it, or it wasn't caught in the fury to unhook and put the fire out.

My thoughts exactly-hence my question...

ToddP

Reaction score

We took it to two ford dealerships and they would not honor the warranty. Insurance is going to pay for it.

I was not there when he hooked it up but I had used it two days prior. He claims no human error.

Dusten

Reaction score
We took it to two ford dealerships and they would not honor the warranty. Insurance is going to pay for it.

I was not there when he hooked it up but I had used it two days prior. He claims no human error.
Ford shouldn't warranty it. Aftermarket parts hooked up caused an issue. Pretty cut and dry.

Latest posts

Members online