6.0 to 7.3 swap? Or axle swap?

BrewTown

Reaction score
I have a scenario I could use some help with. I want a hybrid like many others. I want a 7.3 CCSB with '05+ axles and brakes. I own an 01 ZF6 with a bad cylinder (oil ring found on magnetic drain plug) and an 05 6.0 that I daily and occasionally tow.

Am I better off starting with a 7.3 truck, and axle swapping? ABS is a must, not sure if the swap causes issues. No need to 05 swap for the grill and headlights. Not sure if I'd want auto or ZF6 again.

Other option is to 7.3 swap either my 05, or find another in an XLT because I don't like my leather. Not sure about engine mounts, trans cross member, hydro-boost, A/C, exhaust mounts, driveshaft's, and the big one is the electrical. BCM controlled functions, cluster (swap 7.3?), assuming the whole harness. I think finding one of these, possibly with mechanical issues, may be less than a good 7.3 truck. If I do ZF, I have my 01 as a donor. I also have '94 and '97 long blocks in the garage.

I searched, didn't find any threads to follow on 6.0 to 7.3 swap. Let me know if you know any.

My 01 does have some goodies. PIS (yes I know) 230/100s, first gen KC38R, Hydra with PowerHungry custom tunes, south bend street dual disc, CNC 4 line feed, that's the main ones anyways.

Let me know anything I forgot, or what insight you have. I do live in an emissions area, but they only test '08+ currently. Thanks to anyone who read this book...

BrewTown

Reaction score
Hi Mark! Been reading your posts for a few years!
My 01 is the ZF. My 05 has a built 5R. Can't seem to get the shifting how I like, and if id does what I want, I can wait 100 miles and it "learns" to do what I don't want. Between that, and the lack of low RPM torque this 6.0 has vs. the 7.3, I want the 7.3 back. Just not sure I want the ZF. May do a built 4R.

BrewTown

Reaction score
Just for clarity, if I use a 7.3 truck, I need to go buy a Crew Cab. If I use a 6.0 truck, I could use mine and get a temporary vehicle while I swap, or, find another one. My current 7.3 has a bad cylinder, and is a rusty extended cab. I have 3 daughters and 2 dogs to get to the camping grounds!

Petro

Reaction score
Why not sell the 6 liter and go buy a crew short 7.3? They are literally everywhere and you'll probably be money ahead.

BrewTown

Reaction score
After recent events, I am definitely looking for a ZF6 truck. I already have the clutch, and I am sick of transmission tuning that isn't what I want. Especially the 5R110 adaptive learning crap.

Finding a clean 99-03 ZF6 CCSB XLT 7.3 bench seat manual hub/transfer case 4WABS isn't proving easy. Couple I found were well over $20k. I'm fully expecting a search to take 6 months. Finding a V10 or 6.0 05+ looks attractive price wise. I know that's pretty much a full rebuild/harness swap though. Not to mention VIN issues as we have emission's here. 96+ gas, or 07+ diesel. Pretty sure it's illegal to vin swap the chassis to my 01 ECSB one.

Maybe I'll need to get an auto 7.3 truck and swap my ZF6 into it. Then I can 05+ axle swap later. Just may come to that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.