2008 6.4 starts and dies

Stanlystutz

Reaction score
So a few days ago I posted asking about an idling problem. Well get in the truck today and the truck starts and runs about two sec and does. Has p2291 code. Checked the fuel psi at fuel cooler. Seeing and 4psi with just the lift pump running and about 5 when the truck runs for the two sec. I hooked the my scanner to the truck and was looking at % pcv and %vcv and rail psi truck starts up and rail psi is right around 5100psi and vcv sits around 20-22% and the pcv is it around 15% until the truck starts to die at that point it jumps around and gets to 40% when it dies. Sat for about 30 min and started it Again and truck runs as normal. As I rev the truck in neutral(6-speed) to about 3800ish the fuel rail gets to about 15000psi and vcv doesn’t change and the Pcv goes to a max of 24%. This time the pcv% isn’t spiking at all. The fuel filters have 2500 miles on them 6 months ago (3000 miles) the truck had a bed plate leak fixed and i ended up taking it back for it leaking at the back of the HPFP cover. There replaced the gasket so seems af if those wires wouldn’t have chafed but who knows. Any info on this would help!
75000 miles

Roccafellas

Reaction score
So a few days ago I posted asking about an idling problem. Well get in the truck today and the truck starts and runs about two sec and does. Has p2291 code. Checked the fuel psi at fuel cooler. Seeing and 4psi with just the lift pump running and about 5 when the truck runs for the two sec. I hooked the my scanner to the truck and was looking at % pcv and %vcv and rail psi truck starts up and rail psi is right around 5100psi and vcv sits around 20-22% and the pcv is it around 15% until the truck starts to die at that point it jumps around and gets to 40% when it dies. Sat for about 30 min and started it Again and truck runs as normal. As I rev the truck in neutral(6-speed) to about 3800ish the fuel rail gets to about 15000psi and vcv doesn’t change and the Pcv goes to a max of 24%. This time the pcv% isn’t spiking at all. The fuel filters have 2500 miles on them 6 months ago (3000 miles) the truck had a bed plate leak fixed and i ended up taking it back for it leaking at the back of the HPFP cover. There replaced the gasket so seems af if those wires wouldn’t have chafed but who knows. Any info on this would help!
75000 miles

Did they put the blue zip tie on the connect for the VCV? Heard about one not starting with good fuel psi. Ended up being the connector not plugged in all the way, From Factory! Maybe it just shimmied its way out finally. Id check there, but lp psi should be around 6-8psi.. 4psi is a little low. Before you condemn a Hpfp or Frp sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alantcurrie

Reaction score
I'd start with.....

Change fuel filters
Bleed all air from system
Pressure test system.

4 PSI on the lift pump isn't ideal but shouldn't kill the truck. Once you've proven that no air is getting in or fuel leaking out start checking sensors.

Fuel bowl temp sensor
Fuel rail pressure sensor

Stanlystutz

Reaction score
When running the fuel pressure is about 5 to 5.5. And I checked for air on low pressure side when checking fuel pressure. The fuel wasn’t air aerated any way. The pcv is what was doing some very weird things while watching it on scanner.

Stanlystutz

Reaction score
I would have to look I doNot remember Right off hand but when I did a koeo test I believe it passed when it has you press the accelerator