Secondary cooling system puking from overflow hose

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I want to know how the tyrant sotf tunes are. I have a tyrant tow tune and its got more balls then my GH tow tune for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
With all this talk you guys really need to find what pulse width tune you are running as it makes a big difference with this subject.

I wonder if the intake air temp is so high and coolant temp is low because the pressure on the system is holding the coolant from flowing correctly? Mine puked all the time with two good coolers. I pressure tested both of them and nothing came out of the cooling sustem. Even then it should eat tons of coolant on low boost cruises if the cooler fails

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Just towed my 12K toy hauler for 2.5 hours in 90 degree temps. Pulled a lot of hills and faced a head wind the whole time. Ran perfect on my tow tune and my intake temps were sub 100 degrees. I can't monitor my post CAC temps since the Midwest piping eliminates that sensor but I would imagine they're up there too. I now run EZ Lynk with my dual fueler setup and have a true tow tune from a local tuner up here. Like mentioned above, running a proper tune must make a big difference in how hot everything gets for sure. I towed the trailer around on my race tune and coolant got up to 215-220 and oil was at 245-250. Then I switched to my tow tune as an experiment and the coolant was 195-200 and oil temps were 215-220 on the exact same day. Crazy the difference it makes!
8369f2e84bf6ba065fa0d1e873bb0fc3.jpg

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Just towed my 12K toy hauler for 2.5 hours in 90 degree temps. Pulled a lot of hills and faced a head wind the whole time. Ran perfect on my tow tune and my intake temps were sub 100 degrees. I can't monitor my post CAC temps since the Midwest piping eliminates that sensor but I would imagine they're up there too. I now run EZ Lynk with my dual fueler setup and have a true tow tune from a local tuner up here. Like mentioned above, running a proper tune must make a big difference in how hot everything gets for sure. I towed the trailer around on my race tune and coolant got up to 215-220 and oil was at 245-250. Then I switched to my tow tune as an experiment and the coolant was 195-200 and oil temps were 215-220 on the exact same day. Crazy the difference it makes!
8369f2e84bf6ba065fa0d1e873bb0fc3.jpg

More horsepowers high temps. I still leave it in my race tune lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Tow tunes are no fun either lol. Barely even get it to even have a little puff of smoke out the tailpipe when you Punch it haha.

Yeah. I ran the tow tune and street tune 300miles each. Never went back.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I was going to say.. for those saying their cact temps never fluctuate make sure you don't have aftermarket piping that eliminated the sensor.

They will fluctuate all the time, temperature has a huge effect as well as situational driving.

On a hot day my truck will creep up around the 130's and I can push it as high as I want, but it returns to that 120-130 pretty quickly.

I would think the NL intercooler puts a much larger strain on the secondary system due to efficiency, but I have never measured coolant temps, nor have I ever had an issue with puking.

Jomax, I would have to imagine you are just killing intercoolers and this should be just the ticket. The NL intercooler is a tough sob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Dustin also has a good point. To see cact in the high 100's but much lower coolant temps makes no sense unless there's a huge pocket of air in the system. Or a failed water pump.

Jomax

Reaction score
I was going to say.. for those saying their cact temps never fluctuate make sure you don't have aftermarket piping that eliminated the sensor.

They will fluctuate all the time, temperature has a huge effect as well as situational driving.

On a hot day my truck will creep up around the 130's and I can push it as high as I want, but it returns to that 120-130 pretty quickly.

I would think the NL intercooler puts a much larger strain on the secondary system due to efficiency, but I have never measured coolant temps, nor have I ever had an issue with puking.

Jomax, I would have to imagine you are just killing intercoolers and this should be just the ticket. The NL intercooler is a tough sob.

So I must've hurt something else this time around. CACT is around 150ish while cruising and at a WOT run getting on the freeway, I've hit 250.

The coolant temp for the secondary is 140. IIRC it should be at 120.

I'm wondering if I hurt something with the system being empty. I was 400 miles away when it let go and drove it home.

Can the thermostats get damaged with no coolant flow? Water pump? I do know the return line on the overflow tank has a steady flow of coolant, so the water pump has to be working.

The Puking did STOP, so at least that's fixed.

Wrecker

Reaction score
So I must've hurt something else this time around. CACT is around 150ish while cruising and at a WOT run getting on the freeway, I've hit 250.

The coolant temp for the secondary is 140. IIRC it should be at 120.

I'm wondering if I hurt something with the system being empty. I was 400 miles away when it let go and drove it home.

Can the thermostats get damaged with no coolant flow? Water pump? I do know the return line on the overflow tank has a steady flow of coolant, so the water pump has to be working.

The Puking did STOP, so at least that's fixed.

You ever figure out anything else wrong with your truck? Sounds like the same problem I'm having with the same setup.

Jomax

Reaction score
No put the truck back to stock and it was perfect before trading it in. Is your EGR fully removed?

Wrecker

Reaction score
No put the truck back to stock and it was perfect before trading it in. Is your EGR fully removed?

Ok, I've got more info on my setup in the thread I just posted

Latest posts

Members online