SCT EGT Probe Install Questions

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Going to sounds real dumb, but where should the probe be installed?

I had a local diesel tuning shop do it & I think they put it on the wrong place... they tapped in where the 90 deg bend is next the the transmission.... I would have thought it was supposed to go as close to the turbo as possible?

I did some searching on here & on Google... I couldn't find a picture for the 6.7L Powerstroke. Earlier models were tapped in right at the manifold (6.0L).

With the accelerator to the floor for 8 seconds & my EGT temperature barley broke 700 deg..... after I had been driving for a while too.

Shame on me for not doing a little research on the subject before having the work done. Should have just done it myself.... I tend to be way over the top particular on stuff like this. I don't even like it facing down because I'd be worried a branch or something could get caught & rip it out. I drive off road a lot.

I attached the picture. Sorry for bad lighting. The flanges bolted together on the top of the picture are to where the *** system would start.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• 30707933_10155217149290919_9112660304088530944_n.jpg
    30707933_10155217149290919_9112660304088530944_n.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 104

redneck1

Reaction score
Definitely a not a recommended placement for performance. Install a egr block plate with the egt bung welded in. It's in the valley up by your intake on the passengers side of the motor. That will do little to no good where it's at. Makes me question how legit your diesel shop is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

farm boy

Reaction score
Going to sounds real dumb, but where should the probe be installed?

I had a local diesel tuning shop do it & I think they put it on the wrong place... they tapped in where the 90 deg bend is next the the transmission.... I would have thought it was supposed to go as close to the turbo as possible?

I did some searching on here & on Google... I couldn't find a picture for the 6.7L Powerstroke. Earlier models were tapped in right at the manifold (6.0L).

With the accelerator to the floor for 8 seconds & my EGT temperature barley broke 700 deg..... after I had been driving for a while too.

Shame on me for not doing a little research on the subject before having the work done. Should have just done it myself.... I tend to be way over the top particular on stuff like this. I don't even like it facing down because I'd be worried a branch or something could get caught & rip it out. I drive off road a lot.

I attached the picture. Sorry for bad lighting. The flanges bolted together on the top of the picture are to where the *** system would start.

Thanks for any input.

Yea that's a terrible spot for the sensor. As said above, deelete the E.G.R and install the probe in the blockoff plates as I did.

Attachments

• egt1.jpg
    egt1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 141
  • egt2.jpg
    egt2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 139

95cobby

Reaction score
Mines in the same spot as posted above.. plate in the manifold.. works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Thank you for all the input everyone.

I'm not happy with the shop at all. They had issues when doing my EGR ******, *** ******, & SCT Livewire TS install as well but gave me some reasonable reasons as to why it happened.

I'm going to see what they say when I tell them they did it wrong.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Yea that's a terrible spot for the sensor. As said above, deelete the E.G.R and install the probe in the blockoff plates as I did.

Did you just drill & tap the block off plate hole bigger for the SCT probe, or did you get a plate that came like that? Mine has an OEM probe in it right now.

Sorry for not asking in my original quote but I don't know how to edit a post.

farm boy

Reaction score
Did you just drill & tap the block off plate hole bigger for the SCT probe, or did you get a plate that came like that? Mine has an OEM probe in it right now.

Sorry for not asking in my original quote but I don't know how to edit a post.

The probe kit came with an adapter if I recall correctly. Or it was sent with the No limit e.g.r kit.

Either way I didn't have to source it on my own.

sootie

Reaction score
I was thinking the accumulated heat would be higher if you measured at a place where both sides were combined going into the turbo.

No need to overthink it. Also, the LH bank feeds the bottom of the turbine housing and the RH bank feeds the top so the exhaust is never "together" except when its flowing around the turbine.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up...

I ended up putting the EGT probe in the proper place with a proper block off plate from No Limit. I think I found out why they didn't do it in the first place.

The block off plate originally used didn't quite line up right. Appears as if they forced it on making the bolts cross thread into the manifold messing up the threads on both. Didn't realize this until I took it off.

I made the holes slightly bigger on the No Limit plate for the SCT EGT probe so that I could let the cross threaded bolts go in at the slight angle they cross threaded themselves too. After a lot of nice words, it's all together nice & neat.

I used a 1/8 NPT plug & welded it in place of the hole in the down pipe left by the improper install. Funny, these threads were messed up too. I think a hole was drilled & the 1/8in SCT adapter for the probe was used to make the threads.

Temperatures are reading as they should now... ~ 700deg normal highway driving. High 1,000's at WOT.

Thank you all for the help & input.

Latest posts

Members online