Crank, No Start

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I went to start my truck this morning and it would't start. This week it started getting a little blue smoke at start up. Idled a little rough then smoothed out once warm. This morning it won't fire. Cranks fine, get white smoke out of the tail pipe, smells like fuel. Injectors? Truck ran just fine otherwise yesterday. No powers loss, nothing.

Zeb

Reaction score
Sounds like glow plugs/ glow plug relay. Take a test light and make sure you have power on the big stud that is closer to the center of the motor on the glow plug relay. Make sure you check it within 15-20 seconds of switching the key on. The other big stud should be constant hot.
White smoke when cranking and no start typically signifies fuel but not enough heat to start.
If the glow plug relay is dead and you really need to start it and it has a block heater, plug the block heater in for 30-45 minutes. That usually gets enough heat in the motor that it’ll start.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I'm at work right now so can't check anything, but I wouldn't think that a bad glow plug relay or glow plugs would cause such an issue in the summer time. It was almost 70 degrees this morning. And I've had it fire up in the winter before with a bad glow plug relay. When it cranks, it's like it almost wants to fire but won't. Cranks fast. Didn't pay attention if the tach moved or not. Can't find the cable for the laptop to check with AE. I thought maybe my IDM, but if I'm getting the white smoke, it's obviously commanding fuel. Wonder if my Adrenaline pump is having issues? Like I said it did have some blue smoke on start up that went away, which I never had before in the summer time. Didn't blow any smoke on the way home either, ran great. I was getting ready to install an Irate fuel system this weekend, looks like that's getting put on the back burner now, till I figure this out.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Just got home and decided what the hell, damn thing fired up instantly on first crank. However, now there is a slight blue haze at idle that won't go away. Tried switching to different tuners on my Hydra, and still the same haze. I installed a new IPR and all new orings on the PIS injectors when I did my heads, that hasn't even been 2 years yet.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Will do, I know I've never replaced them lol. Just tested it again and fired right up. Idles smooth and test drove it. Runs great, no power issues, just gotta figure out the slight haze and why it didn't start this morning. I am lower on fuel than I normally would run since I was gonna install the fuel system. Question is, should I go ahead with the install, and while I'm doing it, remove the valve covers as well and check injectors? If I find the AE laptop cable I'll try to get some info as well. Can you check things like icp and other things on Forscan on the 7.3s? If I can't find my cable I might download that then and use a bluetooth OBD2 connector I have.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Will do, I know I've never replaced them lol. Just tested it again and fired right up. Idles smooth and test drove it. Runs great, no power issues, just gotta figure out the slight haze and why it didn't start this morning. I am lower on fuel than I normally would run since I was gonna install the fuel system. Question is, should I go ahead with the install, and while I'm doing it, remove the valve covers as well and check injectors? If I find the AE laptop cable I'll try to get some info as well. Can you check things like icp and other things on Forscan on the 7.3s? If I can't find my cable I might download that then and use a bluetooth OBD2 connector I have.

Might have a plugged pickup tube if you let it go way low or it has lost prime. Get the mods done you want to do and get some good fuel in it and see if the problem persists... Blue haze usually would make me lean towards an oil issue but i have seen wierder things. The older trucks are more finicky with what bluetooth adapter you use. Id find the ae cable and monitor it asap. But yes, forscan does all that.

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I checked the oil this morning, oil is good. Last changed it just under 2000 miles ago and don't need to add any. And the weird thing is, that this all just happened real suddenly. If turbo seals were going bad would it be white or blue smoke? I would really hope that's not an issue, turbo isn't that old lol.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well havn't found out a whole lot yet. Installing the fuel system right now. Even if the engine is toast at least it'll all be done lol. Although I really wish I would've done the regulated return when I did the heads. Probably gonna have to pop the driver's side uppie off to get the fitting on. Also checked the down pipe and exhaust side of turbo, looks like no oil there. The back of my Adrenaline however does look like it's leaking.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well havn't found out a whole lot yet. Installing the fuel system right now. Even if the engine is toast at least it'll all be done lol. Although I really wish I would've done the regulated return when I did the heads. Probably gonna have to pop the driver's side uppie off to get the fitting on. Also checked the down pipe and exhaust side of turbo, looks like no oil there. The back of my Adrenaline however does look like it's leaking.
Spray off the back of the hpop with brake cleaner really good and see where it is leaking.

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
Spray off the back of the hpop with brake cleaner really good and see where it is leaking.

live life full throttle

Yep, already have it all cleaned up. Will definitely be easier to see it without the fuel bowl being in the way. I checked the tin nut on the IPR as well to make sure that was still on there securely.

Latest posts