new truck

2006nytro

Reaction score
Well i bought a 1984 ford f250 6.9 idi shes kinda rough but runs good its a 4 speed stick.. i love to drive it it has a 3 inch exhaust strait piped. its a good old truck..

its haveing a hard start problem probly glowplugs right? the gloplug light just comes on for about 2 seconds then goes out whats wrong with it???

other than that thats its only mechanical problem. all for a smokin deal

MAC

Reaction score
Unhook the glow plug controller and wire in a push button, the 6.9 style controllers are a worthless piece of crap and can stick open keeping your glow plugs on all the time and burning them out.

I'd guess you're probably getting air in the fuel too, throw on a new return line kit, fix the glow plugs, and you should be good to go.

2006nytro

Reaction score
sweet cant wait to get back from fl to mess with it.. how safe would it be to turn the pump up without a pyro? and whats a good place to buy parts for the beast?? ebay?

Last edited:

2006nytro

Reaction score
another question.. i have an old glowplug relay off of my superduty i know its fine .. if i take and use that if i put the constant hot from the battery on and then the other post tie the glows to it and then where the ground would normally come from the pcm just wire a switch in so it would ground it when i activate the switch and i should have 12 volts to the gloplugs then right?? can i do it this way?

MAC

Reaction score
sweet cant wait to get back from fl to mess with it.. how safe would it be to turn the pump up without a pyro? and whats a good place to buy parts for the beast?? ebay?

A lot of people go crazy when you turn the pump up without a pyro, but if you're not doing any heavy towing and you don't turn it up that much you should be fine.

One or 2 flats at the most.

And where to buy parts just depends on what you need.

MAC

Reaction score
another question.. i have an old glowplug relay off of my superduty i know its fine .. if i take and use that if i put the constant hot from the battery on and then the other post tie the glows to it and then where the ground would normally come from the pcm just wire a switch in so it would ground it when i activate the switch and i should have 12 volts to the gloplugs then right?? can i do it this way?

Read these.

http://www.oilburners.net/brian/idi/FordGPretrocombo.htm

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/906603-glow-plugs-83-thru-86-old-style.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/906604-glow-plugs-87-thru-94-new-style-system.html

Last edited:

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Someday.....i shall build another..... Parts were pretty easy to find for me

Misspelled by my fat fingers on an ipod using tapatalk

2006nytro

Reaction score
Ok well I'm currently stuck in ft loterdale air port in florda. So my wheels got to turning
Bout this truck. Can I Put a tach In this truck it didn't come with one if so how do I wire it or how does that work?? What's the rev limiter evin set at on one of thees? And should what's the chances of all the glow plugs comeing out of this thing with out. Breaking? And what plugs should I use.. Ford?,bosh?? I found some bosh dual coil plugs say they get 200 degrees hotter?? Should I treat this think just like my 7.3 use all ford parts or doesnt it mater just buy whatever?? Any help will be nice thanks...

MAC

Reaction score
You can wire in a tach, but good luck finding a stock one to fit the 80-86 dash, they are not easy to come by, I know there are some after market tachs you can hookup, one you hook to the alternator.

Rev limit I think is 3500 but I'm not for sure, some people say keep the RPM's low, others say make it scream.

Chances of the glow plugs coming out without breaking is 50/50, while you're taking them out if the feel tight don't try tugging and pulling, get a little bottle of diesel, or PB blaster, and spray some in the hole, then just keep twisting, and wiggling till they come out, also make sure you set the piston in the cylinder you're working on to TDC, so if a tip does break off it doesn't fall into the cylinder, and you can suck it out with a shop vac.

And only use Motorcraft glow plugs, some say Bosh is fine, others say they're sh*t, but whatever you do, DO NOT BUY AUTOLITES! I have a broken off Autolite stuck in my engine right now.

MAC

Reaction score
Here it is.

Tachometer-Wiring-Guide-for-Diesel-Motors-Alternator.png

trackspeeder

Reaction score
You can wire in a tach, but good luck finding a stock one to fit the 80-86 dash, they are not easy to come by, I know there are some after market tachs you can hookup, one you hook to the alternator.

Rev limit I think is 3500 but I'm not for sure, some people say keep the RPM's low, others say make it scream.

Chances of the glow plugs coming out without breaking is 50/50, while you're taking them out if the feel tight don't try tugging and pulling, get a little bottle of diesel, or PB blaster, and spray some in the hole, then just keep twisting, and wiggling till they come out, also make sure you set the piston in the cylinder you're working on to TDC, so if a tip does break off it doesn't fall into the cylinder, and you can suck it out with a shop vac.

And only use Motorcraft glow plugs, some say Bosh is fine, others say they're sh*t, but whatever you do, DO NOT BUY AUTOLITES! I have a broken off Autolite stuck in my engine right now.

32 to 3500 RPMs governed. If you want to save fuel. drive it slow. If you want power, what little there is. Drive it like you stole it. LOL

Any IDI I have driven has hit the govenor on a regular basis.:D

2006nytro

Reaction score
yea i could care less about a factory tach ill buy an aftermarket.. and good mine has been known to bouce off the rev limiter alot.. there really not overly guttless as i thought it would be. has bald ass tires but it will role em through 2nd if i get a good shift:D.. its a beater and i like to treat it that way..
IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

2006nytro

Reaction score
Yea I plan on it I have no clue what dumb ass put a power stroke sticker on it but that's comeing off. And yea the dodge center caps are comeing off . When I get the garage heated up and cleaned out I'll start workin on it. Told y'all she's rough lol

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
If your not careful and leave the dodge caps on it for long, you'll come outside oneday, the mirrors will be flipped out and it'll constantly be pouring thick black smoke, even at idle.

Latest posts

Members online