Crappy wood hauler

hucorey

Reaction score
Bought this POS over the winter and figured I'd refurbish it a bit, try out the new welder, and stiffen it up too. Had bargrating for decking. Man was that wobbly going down the road. Bunch of broken pieces, worn out bushings on the running gear.

uploadfromtaptalk1395637289863.jpg

6hrs and I'm to this point.

uploadfromtaptalk1395637474914.jpg

Thinking about adding a dovetail too, but not sure yet.

msmith

Reaction score
Instead of a dovetail, you could build a tongue with gussets to make it a tilt. I am just finishing up a 76" X 12' tilt. I bought a hand pump hydraulic ram from Harbor freight for about $50. I set it so that I can stand on the back til it hits the ground and it stays. I can then run my Polaris Ranger or lawn mower up it and when the weight goes forward, the trailer falls back on the tongue. I don't have the bed on yet, so I have never tried it other than standing on each end.

Nice job on it so far!

hucorey

Reaction score
Thx y'all. This tapatalk updated app is screwy. I'm not even subscribed to my own thread lol. I didn't know anyone commented until I came back for an update.

I'm not doing a tilt on this one. Its just a beater wood hauler, to haul my Kubota around, and putting as little time and $$$ into it as possible. But yet much stouter than the cheapass angle frame with 4' OC crossmembers from the factory.

Last edited:

hucorey

Reaction score
Made it this far on the trailer tonight. Got to stinkin cold. Fenders made, dovetail installed, jack installed, rebushed the running gear, made new 3/8" thick spring to equalizer links, and a few other little things. Old links were only 3/16" thick.

uploadfromtaptalk1395828563534.jpg

Jason

Reaction score
Very nice. Buddy of mine does this type of stuff, welder by trade. Been on him for awhile to build me a traoler, said he would do it for cost of materials. Nothing has ever come from it. I'd just like to have a 77x16, angle, without the slope at the back. I don't need that type of trailer very often, but the need does occur, and I find myself having to make due with skmething different, or borrowed, and on a tight time frame. For lawn work around my house, or something, it would be nice. Last time I got a pallet of grass, I ended up having it in the bed of my truck for three days. Tssss

hucorey

Reaction score
Thx.

The dovetail just makes it a lot easier to load small equipment and not to have such long ramps.

I'd make you one, but your in TX.

MoonShiner

Reaction score
If you're gonna take it off the road onto any kind of rough terrain, forget the dovetail, it will drag on every hump you go over.......I removed the dovetail my trailer had on it and made some longer ramps that fold in half.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Looks great so far, it's amazing how well some older beat up trailers clean up with a little bit of time and the right tools.

The only thing I would change with what you have done so far, is using angle iron or C channel instead of tube. Tube turns into an ugly thing after it has seen some salt for a few years.

Latest posts

Members online