Trail Grappler vs. Open Country MT

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I'm not in a rush or anything because I don't need tires quite yet, but I would like to get some input from people who have tried both tires. I currently have 295/60/20 Terra Grapplers on my truck. I love the tire and love the size. They works perfect for my setup (stock up front, 3" PMF blocks, and factory 20's).

I'm wanting to go to an MT for my next tire and both the Trail Grappler and Open Country MT are offered in the 295/60/20. I haven't gotten any prices on the Toyo's in that size yet, but a buddy got prices on the 295/65/20 in the Toyo and I believe he was quoted close to $2,000. I would imagine the 295/60/20 wouldn't be much less since it's a newer tire spec and it's close to the same size. The Trail Grappler has been around in that size much longer so I figure it will be cheaper for sure.

Any input would be great and if any vendors that deal with tires run across this, feel free to PM me prices on both tires. Thanks!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i like the look of the toyo a bit better , but i like the noise of the trail grappler better. ive had them both.

morepower02

Reaction score
I have also owned both. Like Mike said the nittos are a bit quieter. I got more miles out of the toyo's though.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Finally!

Glad you are finally going to go a MT tire....sheesh LOL

I dont have any personal experience with the Nitto MT but Ive ran the Toyos on every truck Ive had. They are a bit louder than usual, but thats to be expected with any MT tire.
Ive got a set on my 02 right now with about 22k miles, they have at least another 10k left on them.
I drive that truck like a mad man and tow with it so Id say they have treated me well.

09strokerpwr

Reaction score
I have the nittos they are nice but I only got about 9000 on them over half gone. Lot had to do pulling my trailer went down fast.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
i like the look of the toyo a bit better , but i like the noise of the trail grappler better. ive had them both.

Yeah, I wish the sidewall was less busy on the Nitto because they are quieter. I've had the Toyo's though and didn't find them annoying.

I got more miles out of the toyo's though.

That's one thing I've heard and makes me leery of the Nitto. I've had great luck with Terra Grapplers as far as wear goes, but I hear the Trail Grapplers wear fast compared to other MT's.

Finally!

Glad you are finally going to go a MT tire....sheesh LOL

I dont have any personal experience with the Nitto MT but Ive ran the Toyos on every truck Ive had. They are a bit louder than usual, but thats to be expected with any MT tire.
Ive got a set on my 02 right now with about 22k miles, they have at least another 10k left on them.
I drive that truck like a mad man and tow with it so Id say they have treated me well.

LOL

I've always liked the look on factory 20's and I have no plans to get rid of these wheels, so why not?

I'm not driving as much as I use to, so 30-35,000 miles out of a set of tires will last me awhile.

I have the nittos they are nice but I only got about 9000 on them over half gone. Lot had to do pulling my trailer went down fast.

A fellow employee has them on his bone stock 2014 F350 and he only got 18,000 out of his first set, but he drives the truck hard, tows with it, and never rotates/balances.

pizalm

Reaction score
I've got about 30k miles out of my trail grapplers driving hard and towing. They'll be done by August I think, I'm curious about how toyos will do but the nittos look way better IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trav-O

Reaction score
I am showing 295/60R20 Toyo MTs out of stock currently. Price is a lot cheaper then $2000 also.

Possibly someone has them and knows they got the last ones for a bit...Price hike

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I am showing 295/60R20 Toyo MTs out of stock currently. Price is a lot cheaper then $2000 also.

Possibly someone has them and knows they got the last ones for a bit...Price hike

Can you PM me a price on both tires Travis? Thanks buddy.

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with the Toyo MT's Jeff. They're by far the most poular and best wearing MT up here.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The Toyo appear to have more siping so they should handle better in wet weather. I ran the Toyo MT in MN and they handled fine in the ice, snow and rain. I've never had the nitto mud but I have some Nitto AT and they appear to be wearing fast and they are a little squirrelly for my liking on corners.

The last time I got tires for my work vehicle I was talking w/ the owner, guys been in business locally for 30+ years, and mentioned he doesn't like the Nitto on heavy trucks as they wear fast. He mentioned that he gets lots of orders for them because the young guys think they look cool but he further mentioned for the farm work out here, no one orders a second set and moves on to something else.

sootie

Reaction score
nittos are quieter and softer ride but wear out about 30% faster. toyos are louder and last longer. i've run both.

acf6

Reaction score
I cant speak for the nittos as ive never owned them but i have a little over 10k my 35" toyo MTs and they ride pretty nice, and not that loud. Definitely quieter than my old cooper STTs. Ill be buying another set

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
I've been having the same dilemma Jeff. I think I've decided on the Toyo. My uncle is running the Nitto and it's doing good for him, and a buddy has had food luck with them too, but I like the look better on the Toyo and results in majority don't lie, they just seen to last longer. I'll be up for new ties by fall, the grabbers are getting a little thin after a couple years and 36k miles

Sent from the Sea

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Toyos are an easy tire to live with on a daily basis. They handle well, ride nice and should you ever go off road with them, they are a great trail tire.

2good2Btru

Reaction score
My last set of trail grapplers were not so bad. I was able to get 42k miles out of them. I dont think thats bad for MT. I would rotate them every 3500 miles and always made sure they had the correct air pressure all the way around

Note 3

Latest posts

Members online