superduty prerunner project

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Berman is so smart he can't even read.

LOL history here?

anyway back to the truck. I cant wait to get started on the new suspension.

Im going to start on the bed cage and do a 4 link with trailing arms. Going to do coil overs and triple bypass shocks. Notch the frame and probably lower the over all ride height a little while adding both up travel and overall travel.

then I want to do a engine cage and and do long travel solid front axle and use the PMF long arm 4 link. Also going to do coil over and triple bypass shocks. Also going to do king bump shocks front and back. not sure about the steering. going to have to do some more research on that. Im hoping it doesnt limit me to much.

Going to move the radiator and trans cooler to the rear in the bed cage to move weight to the back. going to move the other battery to the back. Also going to do heat and AC delete.

going to have to change up the turbos. I want to keep the Air to air intercooler up front but going to try and gut as much as I can to limit weight. Might just go to a single when I put the engine cage on for simplistically.

also going to semi gut the interior and do a roll cage and suspension seats.

1999-ford-ranger-4x4link-the-project-begins.jpg

swinky

Reaction score
I know you love non vgts but if you get away from compounds it's going to be tough to beat a 68mm vgt. I'm sure you can work some magic and get a 66 to spool good enough though.

Stall speed and gearing comes into play too. 4.10s, 2200 stall and a 66 should spool pretty well don't ya think?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
^^^ that's one big question pretty much, not trying to sound like I've done any of this before lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mustube

Reaction score
You keeping full frame length or making this thing class legal for any race organizations? There's usually 3 or 4 races a year in Texas, no clue on Oklahoma though. A diesel would be sweet to see in a race.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
not sure lol I was going to make a race truck out of a 2WD I have here and make it class legal but I got a 6.7 so that kinda killed that for a while. I have thought about cutting off the front part of the frame that isnt used to remove weight but probably not going to do that.

it would just be a class 1400 sportsman truck anyway and from my understanding they are pretty easy going in that class. and even more so in texas/

mustube

Reaction score
I would decide before you cut anything. Most of the door slammer classes require a full length factory frame but you can cut the bottom side of the frame up front at an angle. If you're going as far as a AC heater delete, caging the bed and 4 link out back, I would just go the extra bit to make it class legal just in case you want to go flog it off road in a race.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
yup I have a rule book here.

But wasnt really planning on racing this one. It would probably just be the prerrunner/chase truck for when I get around to building my truck. But I bet the Twin turbo diesel would get me kicked out before my frame haha

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I was talking about the sound too lol. I think a non vgt 6.0 sounds great. Vgt sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks I suppose. Lol

JMart

Reaction score
I heard one the other day with a GTX42 I think it was. That was the meanest 6.0 I think I ever heard.

I like the whistle of my PMax but hate the hissing/vaccum sounds.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
so really want to get to work on this rig but very limited on time. so reduced to planning it out and sharing my plans on here with yall to keep me happy about not being able to work on it.

so I was working on a burnt up truck this week stripping parts and noticed how low the thing set with no springs or bump stops.

image_zpsfe796cd6.jpg

image_zpsa3d49533.jpg

My plan is to get at much up travel as possible because thats something the carli lift is lacking (for my needs/liking not over other set ups) . I was planning on just removing the bump stop drops when I go long travel but see how much lower it will go with out them Im going to remove the factory bump stops all together and go to a King bump stop. Im thinking im going to mount it on the frame and weld a pad on the 4 link for it to hit, not sure yet. This will get me alot more up travel.

here is a shot of the current set up with the carli bump stop drops

image_zps78044b1b.jpg

This will cause a problem with fender liner clearance and fender clearance with the 37s. But with the engine cage im going to have to cut the liner anyway so im going to remove it and just have a custom shield to protect the motor from splash. Also going to have to cut the back corner of the fender I think. not a big deal.

But all of this will mean the compounds wont work :(

But also throwing around the idea of just putting both turbos in front of the motor where the radiator and fans would be. (remember they are being moved to the back) But unsure on this. that will come when I get everything in place and see where there is room.

Also trying to decide on the rear. Im wondering if I could just go a complete bed cage and remove the bed and just run the bed sides or keep the bed and just do a bolt on cage in the bed. with that im planing the bed wouldnt be useful anyway.

this is what the full cage would look like

image_zps7f9b9822.jpg

Latest posts

Members online