Supercharged 6.0 project "Road Rager"

jcain

Reaction score
Are you going to do a restrictor plate or wastegate on the procharger and pulley it down?

Wayne

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't follow that question at all :doh: Maybe we're speaking a different language, but to me, a restrictor plate is a something that constantly restricts air flow to an engine to reduce peak power. A wastegate is specific to a turbo, and diverts driving exhaust gasses away from the turbine wheel to slow it down. The turbo on this does have a 66 mm wastegate, but that has nothing to do with the supercharger. The system does have a blow off valve (dumps boost pressure when you snap off the throttle) as well. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about???

jcain

Reaction score
Man, y'all need to get your heads out of the sand.

In 2006 I put a restrictor plate after the blower outlet to restrict flow at high volume (peak power) . It's basically a ring the first snug in the air tract and has about 2inches of thickness, outside to inside. It allows you to go from say a 3.2 pulley making 10lbs at peak down to a 2.6 pulley making 10lbs at low rpm all the way to peak.

I was making peak boost 11psi from 2700rpm all the way to 7200rpm instead of the typical centrifugal curve.
A wastegate works on the same principle, pulley way down to make peak boost early and then bleed it off up high.

imelmo

Reaction score
So Danny I gotta ask. What didn't you like about your procharged truck, specifically drivability?

Drivability wise I had zero complaints, absolutely loved the thing. Most fun vehicle I ever had as far as driving, besides my Z.

Only issue I had with mine was I had to take it off to get to something else on the truck. When I put it back on I had some squeaking pullies that I couldn't get to stop. Brought it to another shop to get "fixed" and started looking at redoing the whole system with a cog belt and all. The timeline ended up taking a lot longer than I wanted and I had some other things come up so we put it back together without the Procharger.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to put another one on; I just wouldn't work on it myself again. LOL

Wayne

Reaction score
So far, I've got about 40 miles on the setup, and I've made it to half throttle. I still haven't hooked up the wastegate hoses, so it dumps anything past about 30 psi boost. I also discovered that I need to drive the blower harder than I am to realize full potential. Right now it's at about 50% max charger rpm at 4000 rpm on the motor, but I've only taken it to 3. Drivability is amazing past 2K rpm's because that's when the turbo lights, and when it does, I've accidentally painted a couple black stripes down the road tipping into half throttle at 20 mph. Since I'm at half max rpm on the blower, and any drive wheels made by anyone I know of just aren't big enough, I'll have my machinist make a wheel to drive it at 100% by roughly 4K rpm's using the smallest driven pulley I can run for extended belt life. If that's too much, I'll throw on a larger driven pulley. The crappy thing is up front cost of one-off stuff on the first run as many people on here know so making guesses on the best setup are expensive. The truck also has a really slow 4th gear engagement so there might be issues with the direct apply piston. hopefully I can wrap up the rest of the loose ends by the time the new crank pulley is made.

genie144

Reaction score
If you are interested... I know a machinist or 2. If you can provide a dimensional sketch or better CAD, I might be able to put you in touch with an affordable option...

Sam

neverkickn

Reaction score
Wayne, if you get a chance could you post a close up of how the height control valves are mounted? I need to put some on my truck but I'm not sure where/how to place them.

imelmo

Reaction score
Drivability is amazing past 2K rpm's because that's when the turbo lights, and when it does, I've accidentally painted a couple black stripes down the road tipping into half throttle at 20 mph.

Wait 'til you tow something with it. :D

Wayne

Reaction score
My machinist is fair on price, and very good at what he does, but thanks anyway genie. Some times I'm just a whiner. For the air bag control mounts, they're just at the very top of the inside liner of the console. I disassembled the console, and used machine screws to mount it solid as I'm sure grabber screws would tear out. Yeah, danny, I'm really looking forward to how it will run once the new pulley is done and on. I will also have to add another idler to make it all work, but that's no big deal. I'm sure a monster burnout vid will be posted here upon truck completion and a few hundred miles of break-in. I've got to get the front end off the truck asap to do some accurate measuring so I know exactly how big I can go on the drive pulley before I run into the water pump pulley. My target drive pulley is about 11" diameter, but I'm just not sure if it will clear at the depth I have. it will be close. I may have to cut it back to 10.5" or so. Fasst: No kits from me will be available anywhere until it's 100% dialed in. Then I'd have to become a sponsor on here before you'll know about it, but thanks for the interest :D

neverkickn

Reaction score
I was referring to the fill/dump valves but never mind. I see you used electric solenoids. You wrote manual valves and I read mechanical valves, like the automatic mechanical valves used on semi trailers.

Looks slick!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
This is an awesome build! Just curious, do you have your own shop or do you still work at a dealer and do this on the side?

Wayne

Reaction score
The air bag valves are mechanical. Hoses run up the front of the console. I can get you a p/n if you want. It's the whole unit with 3 air lines that run into it; air supply, and supply for each bag. Then there's the gauge light wires of course. I have my own 1man shop I run nights and weekends near my house, but everybody at the dealership knows about it. I only do stuff they don't do so there's no competition. My closest neighbor is actually the service manager, and he comes over all the time to see what I'm working on because he likes this stuff. First test drive was at like 11pm last Saturday, and he woke up to the whirring of the blower, and called to go for the first test run. The truck seems to be a cop magnet though. I don't know if it's more the noise or looks, but I had one following me close for the last couple miles of the 7 mile initial test drive. :shrug: ...and as I said before, I still haven't made it past 1/2 throttle. Oh, and I'll pass on the blower Danny. I want more than 7 psi LOL

Latest posts

Members online