Stage 1 trans rebuild - Who?

white59rt

Reaction score
I see most everyone opts for some all out billet race trans when they do a trans I see very little about a stage 1 type build.

Long story short I believe my POS PI converter lost lock up. I have changed the TCC solenoid, inspected harness, everything checks out and 200 bux later I have the same damn problem of no lock up. Fluid was pretty clean after 35K miles and a little fuzz is all on the magnet. The trans was gone through at ford 35K ago under warranty and basically completely freshened up. So at that time I decided to install a billet input shaft and PI converter, now I am here wondering if I should just throw a mildly stock upgraded trans in (stage 1 type) or just send the converter in for repair and either put it back in or put a stock one back in and sell the PI.

The truck is stock turbo, injectors, etc.....I will most likely be sticking with my tow tune from windrunner as my daily driver tune as well. Truck runs strong enough for my liking and its my daily driver so dependability far outshines performance. But I have find my performance are finicky and because of this I have to learn how to drive them and usually I dont go WOT I find myself 3/4+ throttle. With the tow tune - I can drive it like I stole it and it runs good so it seems like a no brainer.

Advice on the best stage 1 rebuilder out there? On my plan of attack?

Thanks!

Todd

Mdub707

Reaction score
In for feedback.......

You're alive?

I can't imagine most stage 1 builds really consisting of much more than a better converter honestly.

For a stock injector/turbo truck, a stock trans should be more than enough with the right tuning. I'm running stock injectors and the 62FMW, did 495rwhp on the dyno, on completely stock trans and plan to keep it this way (knock on wood). It's been doing great for me. I tow my 27' travel trailer all summer and it hasn't missed a beat. I tow on my non VGT street tune (tow tune didn't have enough fuel to even get this thing to spool the way I like it). I DD Innovative extreme street with PHP atlas 40 FICM tune.

white59rt

Reaction score
You're alive?

I can't imagine most stage 1 builds really consisting of much more than a better converter honestly.

For a stock injector/turbo truck, a stock trans should be more than enough with the right tuning. I'm running stock injectors and the 62FMW, did 495rwhp on the dyno, on completely stock trans and plan to keep it this way (knock on wood). It's been doing great for me. I tow my 27' travel trailer all summer and it hasn't missed a beat. I tow on my non VGT street tune (tow tune didn't have enough fuel to even get this thing to spool the way I like it). I DD Innovative extreme street with PHP atlas 40 FICM tune.

So are you suggesting I ditch the PI converter and just have a stocker put in, then sell the fresh PI converter? I agree that this thing should NOT be doing this and a stock trans should be fine.

As for stage 1 I see some guys do minor pump upgrades and maybe a better clutch, not sure that it consists of much more.

snafu

Reaction score
I've heard of quite a few PI converters losing lock up latley. When I smoke my PI converter I'm going to DPC.

04cr450

Reaction score
I know pi did fix some flaws their old convertor had... when I got my Warren trans in last October Andy and I were discussing this hence why he still uses the pi convertors.mine has be fantastic so far.

Mdub707

Reaction score
So are you suggesting I ditch the PI converter and just have a stocker put in, then sell the fresh PI converter? I agree that this thing should NOT be doing this and a stock trans should be fine.

As for stage 1 I see some guys do minor pump upgrades and maybe a better clutch, not sure that it consists of much more.

Not at all, just saying it shouldn't really be "needed" to hold the power you're making. A new stock converter is only like $350 too... But, if you already have a PI (or get a new one) why not?

Mike! Yeah buddy, I'm still kicking. My transmission on the other hand.......

What'd you do to it! :toast:

Snake

Reaction score
175k miles. I've been on 37's for 100k and running tunes for 165k. My 3-4 shift flare is so bad I have to lift to engage 4th. Torque converter isn't staying locked and sometimes it downshifts when coasting. Temps are hitting 190* under normal driving. It's a matter of time. LOL

Mdub707

Reaction score
175k miles. I've been on 37's for 100k and running tunes for 165k. My 3-4 shift flare is so bad I have to lift to engage 4th. Torque converter isn't staying locked and sometimes it downshifts when coasting. Temps are hitting 190* under normal driving. It's a matter of time. LOL

You mean 3-5 shift. That's pretty common though. Mine's also flaring a bit for that shift on a relatively new trans. I have a gogo solenoid to drop in it whenever I get the ambition. Depending on your clutches, you can probably just do another converter and a new solenoid and keep on trucking.

Snake

Reaction score
Yes, the 3-5 shift. Didn't want to confuse folks with the intricacies of the 5r110. LOL

I'm hoping that's all it will take to get me back in business, but I'm not getting my hopes up with the way reverse feels. I just realized I didn't mention that part.....my well worn Toyo's feel like Super Swampers backing up.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Direct drive and reverse may use the same clutches? I know when my stutter developed in reverse it was the beginning of the end for my trans LOL

Snake

Reaction score
Direct drive and reverse may use the same clutches? I know when my stutter developed in reverse it was the beginning of the end for my trans LOL

LOL

I'm fooling myself if I think I'm getting out of this cheap.

So what say the members here? Who has the best mildly built 5r110? Warren? Twisted? Elite? Someone else?

sootie

Reaction score
LOL

I'm fooling myself if I think I'm getting out of this cheap.

So what say the members here? Who has the best mildly built 5r110? Warren? Twisted? Elite? Someone else?

Morgan @ Midwest Diesel 217-691-1909

Snake

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try to get in touch with Morgan. Still researching my options and never heard back from Warren, so he's off the list.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Those trans are pretty simple and the only tool you need is a clutch compressor, if you have some mechanic skills it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it yourself or at least take it apart to survey the damage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Snake

Reaction score
Those trans are pretty simple and the only tool you need is a clutch compressor, if you have some mechanic skills it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it yourself or at least take it apart to survey the damage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rebuilding a 5r110 is definitely beyond my capabilities, from both a tool and a knowledge perspective. But you do raise a great point, and I found a local shop that might get my business. :toast:

Merc82

Reaction score
Who did you find locally Snake? You are in Fl, right? I saw something about Dieselsite maybe building 5Rs but on their site they make no mention. Their is no one in my area I trust...

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I build my stock transmissions the same as i guess a stg 3 almost. Billet converter rebestos gpz on forward and direct (stock clutch count) and stg 1 everywhere else. if there is any hydraulic upgrades (mostly 4r100) those are done as well.

Next is increased clutch count, billet shafts, etc.

Latest posts

Members online