this is why we can't have nice things....

6.4f350

Reaction score
I can't see the mains, crank, or lifter bores being anything but trash after having that amount of material pumped through them. I'd bet you're sitting on a big paper weight. Hopefully not though.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Well that sucks....hate losing another. Seems like we (the 6.4 crowd) are dropping like flies.

I agree. It's sad really. It's like everybody just turned their shoulder to the 6.4 once the 6.7 came out. I know there are plenty of 6.4 horror stories but there seem to be few built 6.7's blowing up too. Hell there's a bigger loyal following of the 6.0!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the 6.7 is cheap... Ford makes it... Not Isuzu, not Cummins, not International...

need a new shortblock? $4500... need a PAIR of heads? $1600...

wholesale on a 6.4 shortblock is getting close to $6k and heads are $1300/ea. Never mind the fact that they're pure reman at this point. It's not too terribly often that you get a bad core that slips through Ford, but we've gotten one with a bad line bore :(

That's why we only go to Ford for short blocks though. They warrantied the motor AND THE LABOR.

they're still making the 6.7. And it's a legacy engine... Ford did their homework on it. They started designing the 6.7 while the 6.0 was still current! We're 5yrs into the run, and it'll probably be in production 5yrs from now.

I love the 6.4. It's like the most beautiful freak of nature that should have never existed, but it did... like a ****ing liger... and all the other animals in the jungle mumble under their breath about how it's a freak of nature that should have never existed, but they still shut their yap and bow their head slightly when one rolls by.

Yeah yeah yeah, the 15's are supposed to be doing 600 to the wheels tune-only now, but they've got the transmission as an Achilles heel. A 6.4 is right up there on tune-only power but also has a freak-of-nature transmission that will hold that power for years.

So with a 6.4 you pay $10-15k less than a comparable 6.7 and you might have to put $10-15k under the hood... with a 6.7 you're going to have to put $7500 under the truck to fight off a 6.4 for very long.

the 6.7 is the future... the 6.7 is the present...

but the 6.4 still says **** you! (sometimes to its owner :( )

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
the 6.7 is cheap... Ford makes it... Not Isuzu, not Cummins, not International...

wholesale on a 6.4 shortblock is getting close to $6k and heads are $1300/ea. Never mind the fact that they're pure reman at this point. It's not too terribly often that you get a bad core that slips through Ford, but we've gotten one with a bad line bore :(

That's why we only go to Ford for short blocks though. They warrantied the motor AND THE LABOR.

they're still making the 6.7. And it's a legacy engine... Ford did their homework on it. They started designing the 6.7 while the 6.0 was still current! We're 5yrs into the run, and it'll probably be in production 5yrs from now.

I love the 6.4. It's like the most beautiful freak of nature that should have never existed, but it did... like a ****ing liger... and all the other animals in the jungle mumble under their breath about how it's a freak of nature that should have never existed, but they still shut their yap and bow their head slightly when one rolls by.

Yeah yeah yeah, the 15's are supposed to be doing 600 to the wheels tune-only now, but they've got the transmission as an Achilles heel. A 6.4 is right up there on tune-only power but also has a freak-of-nature transmission that will hold that power for years.

So with a 6.4 you pay $10-15k less than a comparable 6.7 and you might have to put $10-15k under the hood... with a 6.7 you're going to have to put $7500 under the truck to fight off a 6.4 for very long.

This^

Reaction score

Truth..... Liger lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people are Skipping the 6.4 and either building a 6.0 or buying a 6.7. I mean look at our top 50 list.....

1,4,5,6,8,9 and 10 are all 6.0s.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

getstroked27

Reaction score

HAHAHA LIGER FTW! i know exactly what you are saying man. it is not so much the horror stories making me want to get rid of it. Heck, i have had some sort of major malfunction every year for the past 4 years of ownership and i have stayed true. But even with a built short block, at the power level i am at, the stock trans has been on its way out for months now, it lived 4 years in northern IL, the heart of the rust belt, so it needs paint. and fresh undercoating. and all sorts of stuff. its turned itself into a money pit i am no longer equipped to fund it, i gave up my high paying welding job to live the dream and work in the industry. not a smart move for a 6.4 owner i guess :morons:

01pwrstkr

Reaction score

Very well said!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

jcain

Reaction score

A new 2015 short block is 3500.

A 2015 with a couple grand (modded turbo + tuning only) is going to run neck and neck .

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
a 2015 costs $20-30k more than a 6.4.

my buddy's 12 with a 64mm streetmax gets its ass handed to it by my tune-only 6.4 complete with factory downpipe, 3.5" exhaust, two 3.5" mufflers, and factory exhaust tips.

sorry, that was my 6.4 saying **** you, not me :eek:

jcain

Reaction score
a 2015 costs $20-30k more than a 6.4.

my buddy's 12 with a 64mm streetmax gets its ass handed to it by my tune-only 6.4 complete with factory downpipe, 3.5" exhaust, two 3.5" mufflers, and factory exhaust tips.

sorry, that was my 6.4 saying **** you, not me :eek:

Your buddy's 12 doesn't have enough fuel to break 560rwhp. Hpfp swap and he's going to be right there or in front of you. Cat and mouse game, someone is always faster.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Your buddy's 12 doesn't have enough fuel to break 560rwhp. Hpfp swap and he's going to be right there or in front of you. Cat and mouse game, someone is always faster.

Your truck at 640 isn't really any faster than a 6.4 at 570. It's also useable power. A 6.4 with intake tune exhaust at 8200lbs will run 12's . 6.7 is notoriously slow with the gears and trans.

ckrueg

Reaction score
By the time you get a hpfp and a turbo upgrade you could afford to get a drop in atmosphere turbo for the 6.4 and be around 650 hp

Latest posts

Members online