Good air intake to run with GTP38R?

Enoch

Reaction score
Well I've had the 38R for awhile and thought the Motorcraft AIS would work fine, it isn't and doesn't.
It way to restrictive and IMO replacing way to many air filters, and at $70 a air filter it's getting too expensive.

Any input on which air intake works the best with these that isn't too expensive?
One that has a cleanable filter would be great?

Thanks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
tymar or diy hands down. never have to worry about dusting the turbo. I have tried every dry or oiled cone filter and they all let dust through.. swamps has made a gazillion dyno pulls with the tymar/Donaldson/wix/napa/6637 filter and make over 700fwhp with it at that.. get this filter and be done.
daduhatu.jpg

bigfords

Reaction score
Curious about this since I'm nervous about the noise of a 38R. How much boost will it pull through the AIS? Which injectors do you have? Have you tried to open up the AIS any?

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Here's an "outside the box" thought. A big deal gets made about the Donaldson filter being water resistant and the wix/napa/6637 are not. What if you took one of those filters and applied the water proofing spray that you can buy for your shoes at the big chain shoe stores. It seems to work well and you can't tell it's on there.
Just a thought

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Here's an "outside the box" thought. A big deal gets made about the Donaldson filter being water resistant and the wix/napa/6637 are not. What if you took one of those filters and applied the water proofing spray that you can buy for your shoes at the big chain shoe stores. It seems to work well and you can't tell it's on there.
Just a thought
wtf are you smoking? you do realize that that stuff coats the material so that it clogs all the pores. you know, where the air goes through....

dmd

Reaction score
If you want inexpensive then the above is fantastic and filters very well.

I went to the S&W cold air dry filter. Then used some foam in the hole to the fender
well to cut down the noise. The 6637 and the cold air were a little noisy with the 38R. I
am happy now with the air flow and noise level. Didn't plug up the hole all the way, just
lined it will some medium thick foam to buffer the noise.

Also a more smooth idle in the texas heat. The 6637 and the under hood heat when
sitting had the idle not being too stable.

dmd

Reaction score
Just a thought

I would think that spray would change the properties of the filter media, maybe
let some of the fine dust get through.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
wtf are you smoking? you do realize that that stuff coats the material so that it clogs all the pores. you know, where the air goes through....

I was simply throwing a thought out for discussion. What do you think they coat the Donaldson filter media with? I would think it has to be something some what similar.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I was simply throwing a thought out for discussion. What do you think they coat the Donaldson filter media with? I would think it has to be something some what similar.
no. not even close. the Donaldson is hydrophobic as in when it gets wet it doesnt change the characteristics of the filter.. the spray seals whatever it is sprayed on and will not allow anything to pass through it.. the ais filter is the best replacement for the stock box but performance wise tge Donaldson is gonna win.. the ais will perform well and if noise is an issue then it is what I would use. or try to build a box around the Donaldson filter to help cut down the noise.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Gotcha! It was just a thought. I bought a replacement filter from RiffRaff and saw that it was the Baldwin version. It was sitting in my garage next to a bottle of the shoe spray that my wife uses on my son's cleats, so it just made me think about the concept. I figured it would be a genius or dumbass thought LOL. So I threw it out for the ones smarter than I to discuss.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I make filter media all the time at work from pp fibers. Pp is inherently hydrophobic. I have to introduce a wetting agent to allow water to penetrate it and thus reach the super absorbant bound to it. Not sure what these filters are made of but I'm sure they could potentially be treated with a hydrophobic material that would not significantly increase the fiber size thus not significantly effecting the pressure drop through the filter. Does anyone have an idea what the Donaldson might be made from?

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
The Donaldson filters could also be made from a fluorinated polymer which greatly increases the contact angle if water thus making it highly hydrophobic. Pvdf is one that we compound into our pp fibers all of the time. We also make fibers exclusively from it to.

Enoch

Reaction score
Curious about this since I'm nervous about the noise of a 38R. How much boost will it pull through the AIS? Which injectors do you have? Have you tried to open up the AIS any?

With a new ais filter the best i could get and that is with a tune was 21lbs of boost with the blue replacement. My old mechanic replaced it last time with an expensive but cheap white one. In which I didn't know they made. But the problem I see it it's pulling so much the ais is too restrictive and gets clogged quick and goes from being restrictive air flow with a new filter to being choked with it mildly dirty with the indicator always sucked in.
Right now with it dirty but really not horrible the best is I think is 14-15lbs of boost.
I thought I had bad injectors because it is being choked so bad going up hills and hwy driving I can feel it chugging or missing.
My new mechanic checked everything and just wanted to see if it was the filter restricting the air flow. So all he did was pop the tabs on the filter cover and it jump up to 21-22lbs of boost.
So I just ordered the 6637 kit from RiffRaff. And honestly I'll be happy just to hear and feel the turbo that I thought was supposed to make a decent difference. With the ais I hear about the same turbo noise as I did with the stock. I hear it a little more with the blue replacement filter, whatever this guy put in it now, sucks. I didn't know they made a cheap filter for the ais, but I guess I was wrong.
The filters are $70-$90 depending on where you go, but to me I'm replacing them way to often for that and my gas mileage is pretty bad.
As of now and this may sound odd, but I feel very little difference over my stock turbo with the AIS. I really look forward to the 6637 kit.
I still have stock injectors and no I haven't tried anything to open it up.

Last edited:

Enoch

Reaction score
And thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
The AIS needs the fender sleeve. Mine was fine on the stock turbo till I got a WW2 then it would suck the filter minder in when towing. Then when I put my 38r on it did decent until I too a 2" hole saw and put two holes into the bottom of the box and never had any problems any more. Just cause I can't leave anything alone, I ended up selling the AIS for no good reason and installed a DIY Tymar with the Donaldson filter. The biggest advantage so far is that the filters are WAY cheaper!

Latest posts

Members online