3-4 shift in tow haul

ckrueg

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2010 f250 with a minimaxx running hd 300 with s1l shifting that I modified with mcc. I didn't like that in tow haul mode the truck shifts from 3rd to 4th at 3800-3900 rpms at wot. I lowered the shift point in mcc a few mph but it didn't seem to do anything. All the other shifts seem to change just fine. Also the speed values on the 3-4 tow mode table seem to be way off. It says that at 10 percent throttle it shifts at 23 mph but it really shifts at 40 mph.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Well I've done some more testing and it seems that any changes I make to the 3-4 shift in tow haul mode don't affect the shifting.

TD-5

Reaction score
Check the Desired RPM for 3-4 WOT shift hasn't been raised

Attachments

• MCC 3-4 shift.jpg
    MCC 3-4 shift.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 120

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
try exporting a different shift schedule and adjusting values to match your current tune.

there may be an issue with the export file

ckrueg

Reaction score
No but I did try a different shift schedule. I'll try that when I have time, but it's not a priority, I'm to busy with school and work. Iirc easy tune doesn't allow trans tuning? Did you mean mild?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
no, I mean easy... it will export essentially the OEM shift schedule. You can to a compare and copy your current tune info over to that base file.

I'm just wondering if it's a base file issue or an issue with MCC itself

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Do you have a 3-5 shift schedule? The 5R110 is really a six speed and fourth gear is not used very often. The transmission normally shifts 1-2-3-5-6.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2010 f250 with a minimaxx running hd 300 with s1l shifting that I modified with mcc. I didn't like that in tow haul mode the truck shifts from 3rd to 4th at 3800-3900 rpms at wot. I lowered the shift point in mcc a few mph but it didn't seem to do anything. All the other shifts seem to change just fine. Also the speed values on the 3-4 tow mode table seem to be way off. It says that at 10 percent throttle it shifts at 23 mph but it really shifts at 40 mph.

to revisit this, the Tow/Haul OSS numbers do not correlate with the regular shift schedule.

I'm not sure how H&S calculates OSS, but it's certainly confusing

if building a tune based on the easy schedule doesn't fix it, I would send an email outlining the issue to H&S. If there's a bug in MCC, they'll want to know about it

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yes, I guess it's technically the 3-5 shift

which gets us nowhere considering the software and the tuner note it as the 3-4 shift and they notate true 4th as Alt-4th/limp gear

so now that we've once again been reminded of Mark's superior knowledge of the 5R110, let's get back to the topic at hand

ckrueg

Reaction score
to revisit this, the Tow/Haul OSS numbers do not correlate with the regular shift schedule.

I'm not sure how H&S calculates OSS, but it's certainly confusing

if building a tune based on the easy schedule doesn't fix it, I would send an email outlining the issue to H&S. If there's a bug in MCC, they'll want to know about it
on my truck the shift speeds in the tables are about 75 percent of the speed the truck actually shifts at. For example, the table says to shift from 4 to 5 at 50 but it really shifts at 66. This seems true for all tables except the 3-4 tow mode table. I'll try exporting the easy tune tonight but it might be a while before I test anything. Maybe this weekend.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
it probably won't make a difference, but worth a shot

another question... are you modifying that 3-4 shift point at all?

I have noticed with MCC, sometimes you'll export a tune and it'll have a value in a cell that is impossible to manually input. A lot of the trans stuff, I'm not hip to, so if the OEM tune or export has some odd ball negative value and if I try to replicate it and it enters a zero, I will make a note of it, and re-export and not touch that/those cells so the values remain the same as the export.

I guess what I'm wondering is: if you don't touch that last number for the WOT shift point, does it still drag out to 3800/3900?

if not, I would say there's a glitch in MCC. possibly uninstall/re-download the software?

I would contact H&S about it for sure. They'll definitely want to get it ironed out

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
which gets us nowhere considering the software and the tuner note it as the 3-4 shift and they notate true 4th as Alt-4th/limp gear

so now that we've once again been reminded of Mark's superior knowledge of the 5R110, let's get back to the topic at hand
I was just trying to help. I'll make sure not to make that mistake again with you around.

Jomax

Reaction score

You didn't need that last paragraph...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
it probably won't make a difference, but worth a shot

another question... are you modifying that 3-4 shift point at all?

I have noticed with MCC, sometimes you'll export a tune and it'll have a value in a cell that is impossible to manually input. A lot of the trans stuff, I'm not hip to, so if the OEM tune or export has some odd ball negative value and if I try to replicate it and it enters a zero, I will make a note of it, and re-export and not touch that/those cells so the values remain the same as the export.

I guess what I'm wondering is: if you don't touch that last number for the WOT shift point, does it still drag out to 3800/3900?

if not, I would say there's a glitch in MCC. possibly uninstall/re-download the software?

I would contact H&S about it for sure. They'll definitely want to get it ironed out
The 3-4 shift in tow haul mode has always been around 3900 rpms at wot. When I tried to change it, I found that no matter what I changed in the tables that shift would not be effected at any throttle position

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.