AKF250 Alaska Build - (650-700HP BUILD)

White_monster

Reaction score
Sweet! Cant wait tell I get to that point.

UPDATE...Another setback.

Went to install the set of "lightly used ran perfectly fine when uninstalled" Jr. High Powers that I bought used from a member and found the VGT actuator arm to be sticking. Split the high pressure turbo to check it out and found a completely destroyed turbine wheel and a missing retainer clip on the actuator arm. Turbo just arrived at Elite Diesel today so hopefully they can stick to the advertised week and a half turn around time (Josh has been great to deal with and is helping me out with a few other upgrades while I'm talking to them).

I chalk the turbine wheel discovery as a win since I wouldn't have been able to really tell once installed. Gonna clean the turbos up and get rid of a bit of surface rust that started.

Webasto install is moving along. Got my mounting plate completed, now I just gotta get some holes in the frame for mounting and run the line from back to front.

Hopefully have it all back together for fall and then get a nice set of American Force Wheels wrapped in winter tires for pulling the toys around in the cold.

Wabasto is fun. I love mine.

akf250

Reaction score
Update - Turbo Rebuild

any update and pics on this?

Welp... I found the used turbo I purchased used needed a rebuild on 7/25 and had it in the mail before the end of the month. I was told that it would probably be a two and a half week turnaround time with all the shipping and everything...

That two and half week turbo rebuild turnaround time turned into a month and a half month back and forth with Elite Diesel. I originally shipped the turbos without the exhaust housing to save shipping weight (AK to CO) then learned a week after they got them that Precision would need the exhaust housing before they would even touch it. Knowing what I know now, it makes complete sense you would need to inspect them for damage due to the destruction of the high pressure turbine wheel wiping out the VGT vane assembly + its overall better for shipping protection. Being curious I asked why and was told I'd get a call back with a more specific answer and potentially another solution like purchasing another core that is already there. That answer took another week and half to get back to me.

Nothing about this transaction financially frustrated me, it was just the pure lack of communication and follow up. I am building a performance diesel truck that is going to be running limited production Precision built turbos that you cant buy parts for or rebuild yourself. I understand I cant expect parts to be on the shelf and every Joe Blow to be able to work on this stuff but man lack of communication is frustrating.

I only have a calling window for me in Alaska from 8 AM to 10 AM and 12 PM to 2 PM Monday through Thursday and I call and actively leave messages both through the phone and Facebook with no response. The phone is rarreeellly ever answered. Once I can get Josh on the phone he is obviously nice and helpful as he can be but ya bleh that's my vent...done now.

I can now happily state that my Jr High Powers have been fully rebuilt with a fresh high pressure turbine wheel and a new exhaust housing. I also have to happily state that Jared Rice at Midwest Diesel is one stand up guy. I bought these turbos from him almost more than a year ago (he had no idea they were in the shape they were) and he is helping me get everything taken care of with Elite. Pretty rare to see someone make something right after so much time has passed.

Since I've been waiting, got the 3 link installed.

Finalized my full brake job on the truck, new rotors, pads, and a fresh red caliper paint job all around.

All the belt tensioners, belts, alternators, and harmonic balancer are all mounted up.

Holes for the webasto mount are drilled in the frame and nuts have been welded to the top of the plate for easy installation. Getting excited about the final mounting, I think its gonna turn out really clean.

Also, finishing up the body work on the tailgate handle relocate.

Once the turbos arrive I can mock them up, mount the up-pipes, and get the wastegate downpipe dump welded in along with my CCV exhaust dump. Once that's done, its final wire running, double checking, and the cab goes on!

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9210.jpg
    IMG_9210.jpg
    948 KB · Views: 224

akf250

Reaction score
Helper Springs/Bumpstops

Are those helper bags in the front springs?

Yep, I have the gasser springs on the truck. I love how it sets the stance of the truck and improves cornering but hate how it rides on the bumpstops too often. I added those helper springs to see if it'll make up for it and cut my bumpstops in half to give it more room.

Some Hydro Bump Stops would be a sweet addition but couldn't find anything without cutting into the frame.

akf250

Reaction score
Helper Springs/Bumpstops

Had you not done the helper bags in the front you could mount the hydro bumps inside the coil like jeeps do.

Have you found a size and model that fits in the coil? I guess I was just too afraid to purchase hydro bump stop kits that go in a coil in hopes of getting it to match up. Couldn't find any photos of any examples - did you ever move forward with getting them in the coil or frenched into the frame on your powerstroke?

White_monster

Reaction score
Have you found a size and model that fits in the coil? I guess I was just too afraid to purchase hydro bump stop kits that go in a coil in hopes of getting it to match up. Couldn't find any photos of any examples - did you ever move forward with getting them in the coil or frenched into the frame on your powerstroke?

It's a work in progress. The bumps are currently being mocked up in my solid axle swap Tacoma. But I'll get to the mounts eventually

akf250

Reaction score
Turbo Blankets for JR High Power

Which manufacturer would you recommend for turbo blankets that would fit a Jr High Power Turbo? Pretty sure a stock sized set would work

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
A guy named Levi used to make some pretty nice ones. Maybe someone on here will remember his company name.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
A guy named Levi used to make some pretty nice ones. Maybe someone on here will remember his company name.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Levi at Turbo Performance Parts. 208-251-9141. I’ve used probably a dozen of his T-4 blankets and really like them. He can also build custom blankets for manifolds etc if you provide measurements.

akf250

Reaction score
Vibrant CCV dump

Levi at Turbo Performance Parts. 208-251-9141. I’ve used probably a dozen of his T-4 blankets and really like them. He can also build custom blankets for manifolds etc if you provide measurements.

Awesome, I will give him a call and see if he can help me out. Thank You

Next Up..

I'm trying to find who has a VIBRANT Mild Steel E-VAC Scavenger Kit in stock

P/N 11189

attachment.jpg

Ordered one from CPPdiesel.com and got a message back that the manufacturer has discountinued the product.

Other Options?

Attachments

• 11189_Vibrant2_600x600 (1).jpg
    11189_Vibrant2_600x600 (1).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 210

akf250

Reaction score
Intercooler

Who sells the best intercooler that doesn't have anything painted on it?

Im looking to do my own stencil.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Looking good!
Who's studs did you use?
I installed my ARPs over the weekend and they were black, as were most of the studs I've seen. Just piqued my curiosity is all.

akf250

Reaction score
H-11

Looking good!
Who's studs did you use?
I installed my ARPs over the weekend and they were black, as were most of the studs I've seen. Just piqued my curiosity is all.

A-1 Technologies H-11 Studs with Stock Gaskets

with

Kill Devil Diesel O-Ringed Heads

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.