Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
I honestly don't know the flash speed. All I know is it's rated at 2500 stall, and that's what was recommended by Comp to pair with the cam I'm running....from there I'm clueless.

Carb is a 4160 Holley.

Mine hasn't chirped 1-2 yet. Felt close a couple times but nothing yet. Seems to me that can't be good on U-joints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
I honestly don't know the flash speed. All I know is it's rated at 2500 stall, and that's what was recommended by Comp to pair with the cam I'm running....from there I'm clueless.

Carb is a 4160 Holley.

Mine hasn't chirped 1-2 yet. Felt close a couple times but nothing yet. Seems to me that can't be good on U-joints.

Roll away from a stop and snap the throttle. The tach will jump to the flash speed before you really begin to move.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Oh I will. I've enjoyed the shiz out of this truck the past year, and this year will be no different. First off is changing back to the original 77 front end, then doing some PTM on the surround, with black grill inserts and bumpers. Hopefully later this summer it's getting lowered...either drop beams or a Crown Vic front clip. Just not sure I want to go as low as a clip would make it...but the improvement in handling would be night and day. Sway bars are a definite want! Body roll sucks ass on this heavy thing. I rebuilt the steering gear box last week, so I'm hoping that tightened the steering up a lot.
Then new rims/tires...probably 20's. It's time for a new direction with it. More muscle truck I guess you could say as opposed to the current state of nostalgia it sits in now with the wide tires and old school 15" Visions.

Of course, none of this will happen anytime soon. Maybe projects for next winter if I can get my ducks in a row before then.

And with all the other ideas bouncing around my messed up noggin, that little spinny thing (as Jake called it) still keeps coming to the forefront.

Haha! Do it!!

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
Roll away from a stop and snap the throttle. The tach will jump to the flash speed before you really begin to move.
According to my tach, it's 1600ish.

Backed off the adjustment for the accelerator pump arm, and it helped the stumble. It's not gone, but better. I apparently had it a little too tight. Would explain the heavy exhaust smell at idle. I've been going over everywhere I could have a vacuum leak, even replacing all vacuum lines under the hood, which are only a couple. No power brakes so that rules out a booster. Only place left is under the dash with the line that operates the HVAC. If the weather would cooperate and stop being up and down, I'd cap the line going through the firewall and see if I notice a difference. I mean we aren't talking about many lines on an old truck....vacuum advance line, line from full manifold vacuum that splits...one to the modulator on the trans, the other to the canister, then into the firewall.

psduser1

Reaction score

Backed off the adjustment for the accelerator pump arm, and it helped the stumble. It's not gone, but better. I apparently had it a little too tight. Would explain the heavy exhaust smell at idle. I've been going over everywhere I could have a vacuum leak, even replacing all vacuum lines under the hood, which are only a couple. No power brakes so that rules out a booster. Only place left is under the dash with the line that operates the HVAC. If the weather would cooperate and stop being up and down, I'd cap the line going through the firewall and see if I notice a difference. I mean we aren't talking about many lines on an old truck....vacuum advance line, line from full manifold vacuum that splits...one to the modulator on the trans, the other to the canister, then into the firewall.

My try swapping out the power valve to a size or two smaller, to help with you stumble off idle. Holley always seemed to be a bit optimistic on their sizing.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I've always wondered that myself. Unless you are running a radical cam with small amounts of vacuum produced, their standard valve seems to be labeled as a "one size fits most".

6speedsd

Reaction score
It's a nasty day here today, and supposed to be again tomorrow. First day of nicer weather I'll check idle vacuum for starters and see where it's at with this cam. Could be that I need a smaller PV regardless.

psduser1

Reaction score
It's a nasty day here today, and supposed to be again tomorrow. First day of nicer weather I'll check idle vacuum for starters and see where it's at with this cam. Could be that I need a smaller PV regardless.

At one time, I could rebuilt these blindfolded, lol. Today, I'm scratching my head trying to remember some of this stuff.

A lot of guys didn't like the holleys because there a several adjustments to get them perfect.
A lot of guys liked the holleys because there are several adjustments that can be made :D
When they are dialed, Holley makes a great carb.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah I get it. I've ran both Holley and Edelbrock. Never was a fan of the Edelbrock personally. I never could get it set just right, but you are also very limited on what you can actually adjust. I like Holley, but I'm having to learn all the ins and outs of adjusting it just so so. Learning what little tweak to do here or there to make it just right is the ticket. I'll get there. It's just trial and error anyways. Make a change and it gets worse, go back to how it was before and try something else

psduser1

Reaction score
I think I still have a Holley primer book.
I bought it when I first started messing with them. It was 20-25ish dollars 20 years ago, and explained the operation of each circuit. Very helpful, if you're interested.

mandkole

Reaction score

I’m not real familiar with the 4160 carb, but yes, confirm no vac leaks. (Plug hvac port) Have you checked vacuum with a gauge yet? Set curb idle mixture for highest vacuum insure the blades are closed. If blades open, it will draw thru power circuit. Power valve should be good with the 6.5. Carb should be real close out of the box as your cam isn’t real aggressive.

I’m a little more concerned with the higher rpm in top gear since trans work . The converter is barely flashing over stock so it’s not contributing to higher rpm.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Keep in mind, this is all measured by an old cheap tach that was in the truck when I got it. Some Autozone special. I ran it at 75mph this morning and it was sitting right at 2900rpm. Before I was at 28ish, so it might not be an issue after all, but more inaccuracy with the tach. I’ve gotten the rpms up before and I don’t recall seeing it ever go over 3500 on the tach.

All I know is you can tell there is a stall in it when you take off from a stop. If I didn’t know it was there, I’d swear the trans was slipping on takeoff. Maybe the tach is just too slow to read the actual flash speed...well, it’s not coming up fast enough that is. Maybe it’s showing me 1600, when it’s actually higher? If any of that even makes sense. I don’t know why it would be flashing that low if it is. I know I did the rebuild right, fluid level is good, the converter was new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I think I still have a Holley primer book.
I bought it when I first started messing with them. It was 20-25ish dollars 20 years ago, and explained the operation of each circuit. Very helpful, if you're interested.

Believe it or not, I’ve done a ton of reading on just that today. The ole inner webs are a wonderful thing sometimes! I appreciate the offer though.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I’m not real familiar with the 4160 carb, but yes, confirm no vac leaks. (Plug hvac port) Have you checked vacuum with a gauge yet? Set curb idle mixture for highest vacuum insure the blades are closed. If blades open, it will draw thru power circuit. Power valve should be good with the 6.5. Carb should be real close out of the box as your cam isn’t real aggressive.

I’m a little more concerned with the higher rpm in top gear since trans work . The converter is barely flashing over stock so it’s not contributing to higher rpm.

And no, I didn’t mess with it any today. It’s been raining all day and supposedly more of the same tomorrow, and it’s made me lazy.

mandkole

Reaction score
Keep in mind, this is all measured by an old cheap tach that was in the truck when I got it. Some Autozone special. I ran it at 75mph this morning and it was sitting right at 2900rpm. Before I was at 28ish, so it might not be an issue after all, but more inaccuracy with the tach. I’ve gotten the rpms up before and I don’t recall seeing it ever go over 3500 on the tach.

All I know is you can tell there is a stall in it when you take off from a stop. If I didn’t know it was there, I’d swear the trans was slipping on takeoff. Maybe the tach is just too slow to read the actual flash speed...well, it’s not coming up fast enough that is. Maybe it’s showing me 1600, when it’s actually higher? If any of that even makes sense. I don’t know why it would be flashing that low if it is. I know I did the rebuild right, fluid level is good, the converter was new.

Ok, good— makes me feel better.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how much fuel do you see in the sight glass on the fuel bowls? Or do you have when the sight plugs are out?

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
I'll eventually get an Autometer tach on it...that's just lower down on the needs list with this truck. That list is never ending!

Jake, that's another thing I need to check. I checked it when I installed the carb last summer, but haven't looked at it again since. You don't realize how nice sight glasses are until you don't have them!

I'm hoping the rain will taper off tomorrow afternoon and I can check over a few things before dark.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'll eventually get an Autometer tach on it...that's just lower down on the needs list with this truck. That list is never ending!

Jake, that's another thing I need to check. I checked it when I installed the carb last summer, but haven't looked at it again since. You don't realize how nice sight glasses are until you don't have them!

I'm hoping the rain will taper off tomorrow afternoon and I can check over a few things before dark.

Very true.. you want the fuel just barely seeping into the threads.. anything more and it could possibly be flooding it at idle....

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
Alrighty...some updates.

Float level is good. Actually had to give it a hair more to get it to start out the sight plug.

Adjusted idle mix screws out about a half turn, which helped idle smoothness a good bit. (That Half turn more got me the most vacuum at idle) Still seems like it’s rich at idle though.

At idle, in gear, this thing is only pulling like 9 vacuum, which seems really low to me considering the cam isn’t THAT aggressive. Idling in P it’s about 12. I definitely need a smaller power valve unless there is something else I’m missing.

Driving this morning, it didn’t want to shift back to 1st at a stop...randomly, wasn’t every stop. I readjusted the reverse band just to make sure I had it right, but haven’t driven it much since. Also taking forever to get the 2-3 upshift. Like, almost 60mph before it will. I just replaced the small section of vacuum hose on the modulator...it slid off easier than I’d prefer, so it could be not sealing good. I’m going on another drive, and if that didn’t fix it, I’m getting a new modulator. Rebuild kit came with a screw in modulator but mine takes the press in that’s held in with a tab.

Latest posts

Members online