My BUILT/CUSTOM '04 Excursion!

Ronin

Reaction score
This forum seemed a little slow so I thought I'd try to pick it up a bit...

This is one of my previous rides, unfortunately, I haven't seen it anywhere since I sold it and from what I've heard it might not be around any more.

This was built by FunkMaster Flex on his TV show "Rides" for Orange County Choppers. It appeared in several episodes and was driven mainly by Senior. When OCC jumped ship from Ford to Chevy/GMC, all their vehicles had to go, and this ended up at a custom car dealer in Carlisle, PA after a charity auction which was where I bought it.

It was pretty much all show and no go, so I fixed that!

06232008ExcursionPics004.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics005-1.jpg

FullRearViewEx.jpg

3-4RearViewEx.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics014.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics035.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics017.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics010.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics009.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics008.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics007.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics022.jpg

06232008ExcursionPics023.jpg

Here's the build sheet:

Exterior Upgrades/modifications:

• Custom paint job with ghost flames and barb wire trim
• Custom Orange County Choppers logo tailgate badge
• GT-500 (functional) Ram Air hood
• Xenon front air dam with projector fog-lights
• MAAP Full length tubular chrome nerf bars
• ’05 and up Front End Conversion (includes grille/headlights with heavy duty wiring harness/etc.)
• Chrome Ford factory tow hooks
• 15% tinted windows all around
• Tinted tail lights
• Expandable tow mirrors with Recon Lighting smoke/tinted cornering lamp lenses
Wheels/Brakes/Suspension:
• 20 inch chrome ARE “Wolverine” wheels with Nitto Terra Grappler 275/65/20 tires 10 ply/Load Range E
• Extra set of 5 Cooper Zeon XST “street” tires
• Powerslot rotors with Hawk LTS brake pads
• Ford F-250/250 factory V/B code spring upgrade (slight lift over stock)
• Hellwig rear anti-sway bar
• Bilstein shocks
• Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer

Engine:

• Dyno tested 542 RWHP (rear wheel horsepower) and 790 Foot/Pounds Torque (prior to FASS and CFM+ intake installation)
• Oilguard Bypass Oil Filter System
• Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
• FASS 150 Fuel Pump/Filter System
• Elite Diesel VGT Turbo
• Elite Diesel H-11 Head studs
• Snow Performance Stage III water/methanol injection system with in-cab digital controller
• SCT Xcalibrator 2 handheld OBD tuner with Innovative Diesel tunes (includes stock, Tow, Xtreme Street, Xtreme Race)
• Bassani 4-inch turbo back exhaust
• Airaid intake with Predator Air-Fury “Zoodad”
• CFM+ Carbon Fiber Largemouth Intake Elbow

Interior/Stereo:

• Custom Interior by Team Baurtwell
• Pioneer AVIC-Z1 DVD (in-motion capability enabled)/Navigation head-unit with Bluetooth, iPod integration kit and XM radio (current subscription with Best of Sirius INCLUDED)
• PAC steering wheel control adapter (retains all stock steering wheel control functions)
• 3 pairs of JL Audio component door speakers (both sets of doors and third row)
• JL Audio 500 watt Stealthbox
• JL Audio 450x4 and 500x1 amplifiers
• Ford factory rear Video Entertainment System (includes a pair of wireless headphones and remote control, enabled to display the same picture as the head unit)
• Quadzilla Commander Engine Monitor Gauge System
• Prodigy Tow Controller

Other:

• BD Turbo Cool Down Timer
• Keyless entry
• Reverse sensor warning system
• Remote start
• Fog lights enabled to stay on with high beams

So why in Gawd's name get rid of it?! I did Blackstone oil analysis on it every oil change and it was running VERY stout and the tranny was likewise in excellent shape. I was more than satisfied with the power too. However, the custom paint (which is basically unrepairable) was getting smoked as a daily driver (there was a huge "chip" on one of the doors that was down to the sheet metal) and the wheels were completely trashed...

In addition to some previous body damage from Senior driving like an idiot (shocker!) I took it to 3 different body shops to talk about repainting it. I was thinking Zombie Apocalypse, flat/matte black. They would need to take it all the way down to sheet metal, so it was going to be a ton of work (the custom paint, barbed wire, flames, etc. wrapped to the inside too). With new wheels and tires and front and rear Alien Patrol bumpers and a TireGate full size spare tire I was looking at putting about another $12K+ into it.

So I would have had about a $90K+ '04 Excursion that would have been worthless if it got totaled, and getting an insurance endorsement wasn't a viable option, so after a brief intermission in a Cadillac Escalade ESV (which I was looking to do a diesel conversion on), I ended up with my current truck which I bought new...

And don't think for a minute that I'm NOT considering an Excursion Conversion on my latest ride!

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
That's a sweet ride to bad you let it go but it's understandable why you did

And I'm with the other 2 what size injectors or where they stock

Ronin

Reaction score
Stock injectors, here's the dyno...

dyno2.jpg

Don't kill the messenger, that's what it dyno'd. Never tracked it or dyno'd it anywhere else, and did a ton of runs on it, and this was one was the best with the Snow water/meth on high boost.

This shop uses a Land and Sea dyno, which you don't see a lot of (mostly DynoJet and Mustang) and was (water) loaded dyno rated to 2K HP. The shop does mostly JDM work along with a couple of diesels so they weren't completely unfamiliar with them, but the dyno operator did have intermittent issues getting a tach/RPM signal and had to calibrate the old fashion way...

Ronin

Reaction score
That's an awesome run with stock injectors

Nicely done

I think it's pretty, what's the word, "optimistic"? But hey, I'm not a dyno operator, and compared to all the other runs I did, it would consistently get strong with the mods and tuning...

Pretty sweet ride.

Thanks! I miss it a lil bit, and love my 6.4, which is why I'd really like do an Excursion Conversion on it. They're pricey, and rightfully so, but about HALF of what a Duramax conversion was gonna run me for my Escalade ($56K+!).

Latest posts

Members online