Oil Problems

TWEETER

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. Been a long time since I have been on here since I traded my 6.0 for the 6.4. Never had any problems with the 6.4.....until I royally f'ed up. I'm a dumb*** so lets keep the negative crap down lol!!

I went waaayyyy to long on my oil, eventually took out the small turbo. Ceased it right up. Had both turbos replaced, oil change and gas filters changed. The shop said the oil looked pretty bad, finally got it back(got it back in july, just haven't wanted to deal with it until now), had it back for 5 hours before I had to pull my 40' camper up to deer camp. I was on my way up the mountain when I noticed I wasn't getting anything over 40mph, I had just checked the stock gauge a min or 2 before that and it was fine. I threw it in neutral and revved it and didn't get much out of it. I put it back in drive and it died and the temp gauge pegged. I tried to start it a few times with no avail. Towed it up the road and out of the way. Pulled the trailer the rest of the way to camp with my brother in laws 5.4, which did awesome. Came back down the next day to call the shop and get it towed down the mountain. I did get it to start, although it took a long crank like it was trying to get fuel or something. Got it down to the shop and they said they bore scoped the pan and one or two other spots and it had a lot of sludge in it and suggested I should probably look for another motor. My question is do I spend the money I don't necessarily have and have them break into it and really look at it or just do what I can to get another motor?? Having the oil sludge, how serious of damage am I probably looking at?? Should I have another shop dig into it??

Help please and THANK YOU!!!

:fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. Been a long time since I have been on here since I traded my 6.0 for the 6.4. Never had any problems with the 6.4.....until I royally f'ed up. I'm a dumb*** so lets keep the negative crap down lol!!

I went waaayyyy to long on my oil, eventually took out the small turbo. Ceased it right up. Had both turbos replaced, oil change and gas filters changed. The shop said the oil looked pretty bad, finally got it back(got it back in july, just haven't wanted to deal with it until now), had it back for 5 hours before I had to pull my 40' camper up to deer camp. I was on my way up the mountain when I noticed I wasn't getting anything over 40mph, I had just checked the stock gauge a min or 2 before that and it was fine. I threw it in neutral and revved it and didn't get much out of it. I put it back in drive and it died and the temp gauge pegged. I tried to start it a few times with no avail. Towed it up the road and out of the way. Pulled the trailer the rest of the way to camp with my brother in laws 5.4, which did awesome. Came back down the next day to call the shop and get it towed down the mountain. I did get it to start, although it took a long crank like it was trying to get fuel or something. Got it down to the shop and they said they bore scoped the pan and one or two other spots and it had a lot of sludge in it and suggested I should probably look for another motor. My question is do I spend the money I don't necessarily have and have them break into it and really look at it or just do what I can to get another motor?? Having the oil sludge, how serious of damage am I probably looking at?? Should I have another shop dig into it??

Help please and THANK YOU!!!

:fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:

Honestly, the previous shop should have had you change the oil a few times in a few hundred miles to try and save the engine. You would probably spend nearly as much trying to get the diagnosis and resolution as you will completely replacing the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWEETER

Reaction score
So I might have got duped but the last oil change I had I had AMS Oil put in because the reputable shop said you would go 15-20,000 on it. I ended up goin just over 30,000 but time length was kinda long just can't remember how long.

I tried to get the truck back for a week before I left but I actually had to push back one day for them to finish. I wanted to drive it the long distance to work and reserves for a few days before but nope.

TWEETER

Reaction score
If I replace it should I go used with as low of miles as possible or get a blue printed long block and use try tok salvage everything that doesn't come with the long block?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
So I might have got duped but the last oil change I had I had AMS Oil put in because the reputable shop said you would go 15-20,000 on it. I ended up goin just over 30,000 but time length was kinda long just can't remember how long.

I tried to get the truck back for a week before I left but I actually had to push back one day for them to finish. I wanted to drive it the long distance to work and reserves for a few days before but nope.

Going past 15 requires oil analysis no matter whos oil you use. Too much contamination, it needs to be monitored properly.
Don’t listen to anyone who tells you any different. Oil salesmen rarely are held accountable for their actions or words.

Budget and how long you keep it should determine what you replace it with

gotchadollar

Reaction score
30,000 miles on any truck is outrageous imo. I’m not oil expert like jim is. I believe no truck should go that long on the same oil. Especially in a 6.4. Is the truck ******d?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
30,000 miles on any truck is outrageous imo. I’m not oil expert like jim is. I believe no truck should go that long on the same oil. Especially in a 6.4. Is the truck ******d?

Lol, i go that far.
But, definitely wouldn’t do it without 5k filter changes and analysis every 5k. I watch it very very close. And, mines ******d, I probably wouldn’t ever recommend a non ******** 6.4 going past 15. And that would be with analysis

TWEETER

Reaction score
I know it was outrageous, it was one of those ****ty deals I put myself into for one reason or another. I had the money didn't think about, thought about- didn't have the money. No its not *****ed I want to ****** the new one bad but where I live we have emissions. So I gotta figure out an address somewhere else or something.

TWEETER

Reaction score
So when I did this I will probably be paying it off. So probably goin to keep it. With that, which route should I go, blue printed long block or a used motor with lower miles??

Latest posts

Members online