Upcoming Head Gasket replacement

kleake

Reaction score
Google said like 1250 or so. I figure I am at about 900-1000 as it sits. I'm not adding any more until it's bolted in place. Heaviest thing that old engine stand has ever seen.

kleake

Reaction score
Alright guys, I got it back together far enough to fire it up, but as I cranked it, 1 cyl did not have compression. Yea,,, back to that game again. I found cyl #1 is the culprit, so I pulled that valve cover and found the exhaust valve is just a teeny bit open and does not seal. Back the rockers off just a 1/4 turn or so and all is good. I've stopped the motor with the cam holding that valve open trying to get the lifter to bleed down but it's just not working. How long should it take for a lifter to bleed down while under pressure? How can I force it to bleed down? What's the best way to check it? I'm a bit frustrated because I ran into this exact issue when I did head gaskets, but that was resolved with the correct push rods for the new rockers.

kleake

Reaction score
Either this block has been decked before, or the stage 1 cam lobes are a little taller on the low side. I was able to compress the lifter, so that wasn't the issue. I swapped push rods and valve bridges, no change. Ended up putting in one of my previously machined down valve bridges that reduce gives a little more clearance and all is good. Still not understanding which component was different, but all cyl are good.

Buttoned it up, went to fire it up and had a major fuel leak on the top of the HPFP. Took a while to dig may way in there and change out the O-rings again, but got it done and solved that issue. Man that's a tight fit down in that hole!!!

Anyway, got her fired up, she sounds good, but I haven't taken her for a drive yet. Still gotta put the hood, bumper, and headlights on but I've heat cycled it a couple of times and stalled it up to burn some of the oils off of the manifolds and such. So far, so good.

kleake

Reaction score
You and me both! I still don't understand the rocker issue, but I'll be calling the cam mfg and see if there is a slight change from stock on the lower part of the lobe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
All is back together and she is running stronger than ever. Took it easy for the first 50 or so miles to make sure all was good, then started giving her more. Still haven't pushed her too hard, but definitely running good. I went with a lower than stock 4 disk converter too, and man, when that thing locks up it kicks your head back hard! Feels good to be back on the road!

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember when I replaced my stock TC with a precision industries unit. Made all the difference in the world.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
I went from stock to a Dayco HD unit. It seemed better but started to slip on lockup. This thing is instant and will break the tires loose if you are in it very hard when it locks.

Latest posts

Members online