How to tell if a shop really did a compression check?

Enoch

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if shop really performed a compression check?

I was told:
All cylinders have super low compression
38R is shot (So needs new turbo) turbo has about 50k-60k miles on it
Valve cover harness is shot
Engine is pretty much dusted and would need a rebuild (Minimum of $10,500 probably more)

What it has:
330k miles
38r turbo
4" exhaust
Big air filter
SCT tune (plug in play)
Stock injectors
Stock valve cover harness

My complaint when taking it in:
Lags power on low end and speeds
Smokes few minutes on cold starts
Slow to start (like 3-5 seconds) when cold
It kind of feels like it sputters or chugs up hill, helps when overdrive is off.

It has no leaks, no blow by, and only smokes first start. It does not blow white smoke or any smoke at normal operating temps.
It uses very little oil between oil changes.

Options I was given.
Complete rebuild $10,500+
Injectors, turbo, harness $3k+
Put back together with new harness $800

So is there a way I can tell if this shop really did a compression check?

DieselDC

Reaction score
Yes but it involves taking out your cover. Look down where the gp are j stalled and see if you see any marks that it has been taken out (fitting goes in there for compressing tests).

11k for a rebuild on a 7.3 motor???? No no no. Take it out yourself. Have a reputable machine shop break it down, hone/machine it, install the block plugs, crank, cams. No more than 2000-2500. Then take it home and reassemble it.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Enoch

Reaction score
I'm going down to the shop, I will see if I can get the exact numbers they pulled. I would be lying if I tried to guess what the shop told me. I do know he said all 8 cyl were super low.
If they were super low, I would figure it would take a lot longer to start?

Enoch

Reaction score
Compression numbers were 330-370, charger can be moved back and forth.

Next to a loan, I honestly don't know how people afford to have these things rebuilt.

Zeb

Reaction score
Compression numbers were 330-370, charger can be moved back and forth.

Next to a loan, I honestly don't know how people afford to have these things rebuilt.

That’s not low enough that I’d stress out about rebuilding it. Fresh injectors and turbo and it’d probably last quite a long time.

EPA

Reaction score
Compression is good enough. Haha... Seriously. Not great but good enough for another 100k if taken care of. Smoke is probably from the turbo, oil leaking past the exhaust side and over night it builds up enough to smoke as it burns off... Low power is probably from the turbo as Well. I would get a stock turbo and go through and replace cover harnesses and glow plug/relay and send them injectors to be rosewood for a eco rebuild.
I know some guys with 240-270 and they are still towing and chugging along on a daily basis.

Do the work yourself and you could get it all done for under 1500$ its all pretty easy to do.

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
Pull intake and inspect turbo play yourself. Slight in and out play is normal. Side to side where the wheel makes contact with the housing is an issue.

Injectors are causing your issues. Especially if they’re stock with that kind of mileage. Likely nothing else is wrong!!

Btw, you can pickup complete 7.3s that are sub 200k for under $1500 on Craigslist in my area all day long. Last one I bought was $700 delivered to my door by the seller. Swapped some parts over and it was a damn good runner.

EPA

Reaction score
Pull intake and inspect turbo play yourself. Slight in and out play is normal. Side to side where the wheel makes contact with the housing is an issue.

Injectors are causing your issues. Especially if they’re stock with that kind of mileage. Likely nothing else is wrong!!

Btw, you can pickup complete 7.3s that are sub 200k for under $1500 on Craigslist in my area all day long. Last one I bought was $700 delivered to my door by the seller. Swapped some parts over and it was a damn good runner.

For 11k he might as well spend another 4k and buy that built 800hp obs in the classifieds haha. And yeah being that they bs him about compression turbo is probably okay...i Agree on the injectors.

Last edited:

Enoch

Reaction score
The guy (not sure if owner or not) takes me back to see the truck and it seemed everything he had said, the mechanic wasn't really 100% agreeing with.
I asked about the compression numbers the guy say they're super low, mechanic says, well they're low but not super low.
I asked about the harness, guy says it's junk, mechanic says, it's not junk but the clips are a little loose. I asked, so was it unplugged. He says no, it was just the other smaller clips, not the main plug.
They showed me the play in the turbo, the guy and the mechanic really had to try hard to make me hear the clicking noise when moving it side to side and front to back.
Another mechanic who over heard the conversation. was agreeing with the mechanic who is working on it.
Since they have it apart and the injectors are right there I guess I'll have them put in a set of new injectors. Not real sure on the harness.

I appreciate the replies and input.

EPA

Reaction score
Since its all open.. Definitely replace them now.. Might even think about a new set of glow plugs since they are in there and the truck has some miles on it...
But after that whole deal of them bsing you... I would tell them to drop what they are doing and tow it somewhere else... If you are not car savy be cool and play it off like you cant afford a repair..

Last edited:

mike_hurd2000

Reaction score
Since its all open.. Definitely replace them now.. Might even think about a new set of glow plugs since they are in there and the truck has some miles on it...
But after that whole deal of them bsing you... I would tell them to drop what they are doing and tow it somewhere else... If you are not car savy be cool and play it off like you cant afford a repair..

I agree with what EPA is saying I would either take it somewhere els or do the work your self. It is really not to hard we can walk you through the process no problem on here. If you do new injectors I would do glow plugs and uvch harness and probably the the valve cover gasket just to cover your bases. I recommend motor craft parts. For injectors go with either Rosewood Diesel or Full Force Diesel. Just my opinion good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
Again.. Get the harness from the Ford shop, no place else.

If you get oversized injectors you might need a chip for them. Didnt read back if you have
one already.

For the glow plugs ONLY get Motocraft. Other brands have a tendency to swell up and
break off if you ever need to remove them. Then you have to pull the head.

Enoch

Reaction score
Really no where else to tow it to. Last time I had oil in the valley I took it to the other diesel place twice, was charged twice for them cleaning and troubleshooting it, just to hear they couldn't find anything.
So I did some looking and it ended up being the o-ring that goes around the plug on the backside of the HPOP. Bought a pair from Ford and replaced it and no more oil in the valley.

With this shop it seems like the mechanics are pretty straight, just not the main guy in the office.
I asked them how much just to put it back together before and it went from $800 to now $1,200.50. May be due to new valve cover gasket and harness, with I'm pretty sure isn't Motorcraft.

As much as I want to get it out of there, I got a job opportunity in another state so time is now an issue. When I move I will be near a diesel shop that is a sponsor here. At this time I really don't have an option to have it towed to another shop or my house to do it myself.
Or I really would.

I was going to go a little bigger with injectors. This shop recommended 160/30's, they used to use Full Force but switched to Pure Power.

I had a new set of Motorcraft installed about 30k miles ago.

Really hard to trust shops these days, kind of sucks.

Enoch

Reaction score
Second to last sentence should've read. I had a new set of Motorcraft glow plugs installed about 30k miles ago.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Holy hell man! That shop is going to screw you bad. That rebuild cost should include a girdle, R&R rods and all new motorcraft electrical components plus new turbo.

I know you dont have many options but man oh man id have it hauled to where you are moving to.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.