Gooseneck with hydraulic tail weight

semmens3

Reaction score
For those of you with hydraulic beaver tail trailers, do you think it is worth the added weight and expense over the standard ramps? I'm considering a new gooseneck equipment trailer for smaller tractors, skid steers, trucks, random stuff like that. My concern with the powered beaver tail is the increased empty weight and corresponding reduction in payload capacity. Any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04MT

Reaction score
Those hydraulic tails are nice but they are pretty heavy. My father-in-law has a load trail that hauls his Volvo back hoe really well. I special ordered a load trail I beam frame tilt deck gooseneck for my skid steer. It's 83" between fenders so loading trucks is no problem. The issue I have with the hydraulic tail is how long it takes to operate the ramp up and down, I sometimes load and unload several times a day. I know his trailer was over 3 grand more then mine, but it's not really a apples to apples comparison of the 2.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I was actually just looking at pricing on a hydro dove PJ gooseneck last night. In for the discussion I guess. Kinda hoping the tail weight would still leave enough on the front to keep if from being a bouncy ride empty. Triple axels might help on that too though.

Last edited:

semmens3

Reaction score
I've pulled a couple triple axles and I'm not a big fan of the extra tire scrub. I'm pretty well set on a tandem dual at this point. I found they offer an air ride lift axle now on PJ trailers. That sounds like it would help for the empty ride. Not sure I want to know the price of an air ride lift axle though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I have a 20k Moritz hydro beaver with tandem single wheels.
If you are making money hauling based on capacity then obviously the lighter the trailer the more you can haul. Otherwise the power tail is more of a convenience. And it's a pain loading a truck onto a trailer and not have room to flop the ramps all the way forward to lay on the deck. With the power tail, that problem is gone.
Also, as you get older you have less patience to wrestle with ramps etc and the power is very nice. I don't think it takes long at all.
And no need for 3 ramps, the power tail offers total flexibility on how you load. I sold our slide back that rarely got used and went with the trailer and it was a great move.
I went with the single wheel option, and this trailer tows a cc dually like it's not even there.

Spatel23

Reaction score
If you are making money hauling based on capacity then obviously the lighter the trailer the more you can haul. Otherwise the power tail is more of a convenience. And it's a pain loading a truck onto a trailer and not have room to flop the ramps all the way forward to lay on the deck. With the power tail, that problem is gone.
Also, as you get older you have less patience to wrestle with ramps etc and the power is very nice. I don't think it takes long at all.
And no need for 3 ramps, the power tail offers total flexibility on how you load. I sold our slide back that rarely got used and went with the trailer and it was a great move.
I went with the single wheel option, and this trailer tows a cc dually like it's not even there.

Post a pic of it if you got one handy

semmens3

Reaction score

I would like to see this trailer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnydime

Reaction score
A single wheel tandem 20K? I can't say ive ever seen or heard of that before.

I gross 30k+ on this parade float all the time. Not including the M35. Triple 10k super single torsion axles. They were pricey though.
118491B4-A655-42B4-9D81-67AE3522BFA5_zpsw7vt7wlq.jpg

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I have a 20K 30 ft Trailerman hero dove and really like the dove tail. The trailer is heavy though (about 7500 lbs) I have put nice 16 ply tires on it and load what ever I want to on it now. As far as bouncing empty it does it on certain roads with all the weight from the 9ft tail hanging off the back. The trailer is 21+9'. If I were to order again I would get a 35' just for extra tongue weight when empty and a little more wheel base. Also I would recommending getting hydro jacks since they system is already on the trailer and 24K axles under it for the bigger brakes the breaks on a 12K axle are almost twice the size of the ones on my 10K axles. Never thought I would of needed more capacity but then you get it and sometimes stuff is heavy

Brandon_OMA#692

Reaction score
Very happy with mine. Makes loading and unloading much easier. also was part of the reason I replaced the 250 with a 450

8_0600499_8aebc4078bd047c04407241559c202f798bfe0bd.jpg

24_175535_c59d7bc20b811a85d7df3f720267cdb671ed1352.jpg

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
Just got done building one for mine and it's a huge improvement on flip over ramps.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 120

semmens3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely going to look into the 12k axles and hydro jacks as well

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
grease fittings on the top seems vulnerable.

Works great, They are 1/2” under deck height and there is only a 1-3/8” span across the tail and main deck. Never had any issue and I didn’t want to climb under it to grease it or have raod grime hitting them. Plus if I did them on the bottom there would be three that would not be reachable with the hydraulic tail ram lock mechanism in place.

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Very happy with mine. Makes loading and unloading much easier. also was part of the reason I replaced the 250 with a 450

Glad to see I'm not the only one on here with Olivers!

You guys arn't the only ones. We have 2 1650's. One is original to the farm. We got the other one because they are to slow to run back and forth between the two farms. They pretty much just run augers now or rotary hoe occasionally

Attachments

• IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 104