364.5 SXE to 366 SXE worthwhile?

TMCCOY

Reaction score
If you notice an improvement, keep that crap to yourself! I don’t need another reason to spend money!

LOL That's how it works in America! I tell you how great some stuff I bought is and you go and one up the stuff I bought :toast:

I sure hope there is an improvement, the firm I bought from is 1hr away and seemed pretty familiar with powerstroke stuff. They also have the best pricing at $551 for the 366SXE. The sales guy was telling me about a quad turbo 6.0 ratrod he helped a customer assemble turbos for.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Got it all buttoned up today. Decided to take the "hard" road and remove the RiffRaff billet plenum and break the seals on the T500 pump to install the new version CNC Fabrication HPOP lines. They seem to be significant improvement over the first gen. Truck is ready to start, checked for diesel leaks having used heat sleeving on the rear feed lines which required taking them out. Just have to let the loctite 680 cure for 24 and then it's crappy starting time with all the air in the HPOP system.

IMG_20180818_175859569.jpg

IMG_20180818_130434359.jpg

IMG_20180818_185013665.jpg

364.5:

IMG_20180814_180136806_HDR.jpg

366:

IMG_20180814_180143864_HDR.jpg

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Completed everything and she started up better than I expected with no issues.* I've only driven the truck to work one time and my wife drove it around like usual today.* From her perspective, she sees no difference.* Now, what she doesn't know is that I determined pretty quickly on my drive to work that with the 1023 economy tune, the 366SXE isn't very happy.* It was more smokey and little more laggy at light to moderate throttle.* So, I changed to the street shredder tune and now the turbo runs great.* There is more "timing" with this tune as the throttle input is a bit snappier than the economy tune, but with the 364, street shredder was a pretty smokey tune.* Not so with the 366.* Slight hazing at moderate throttle until the boost hits 20 which is very quick and then it's game on.* I didn't have clear road to try anymore than about 1/2 throttle as the truck is really quite fast.* She did not know I changed the tune, but I think that speaks to everything working fine.* *There is no difference in turbo sound, but I think the exhaust has changed a little louder/deeper with the 1.0 housing.* We're looking for a mountain lake to camp next month so towing will come pretty soon as will some more time behind the wheel on my part for a better read on the difference.* So far, it seems like a positive move though.

Link to 364.5 SXE that I'm selling:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/market/1552419

JCart

Reaction score
Awesome info TMCCOY, will continue to follow this thread at some point I’m wanting to go with T4 and 3 series just not sure which one. One of our trucks (1 of 3 OBS trucks) has same jectors T500 with E fuel. Your insights will be most helpful, thanks for taking the jump to the S366SXE. Looking forward to your feedback from mountain lake tow trip.
Cheers jrc

superpsd

Reaction score
Custom tuning can make all the difference as well. You would be surprised how much different a turbo will spool and how the entire setup will preform with a tune dialed in. Timing as well plays a critical role in spool up and much more.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Yes, the tuning is key. Prior to 1023 I was using two other popular tuners customer tunes and neither worked all that great. Each had issues that were taken care of by out of the box 1023 tunes I bought through RiffRaff. That said, it may be worthwhile to reach out to 1023 directly and discuss a new set of tunes.

I played around with the econo tune since last week and it's not that it doesn't work well, it is that with light tip in, it's lazier. The next tune up is not but if you stuff it, it will smoke on the tip in. The 366 comes in harder with more power for sure once the boost is around 15+. The street tune is still the preference because of this. The truck runs really well with it. It'll take more drive time to experience all the similar conditions I've been through with the 364.5/.91. I have to say that I have wondered if a .91 AR with the 366 might be a good call. I think towing will help with that idea.

Okay, I reached out to 1023 for their thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
You have the 73mm turbine. A .91 housing would of been the better choice with your injectors.

superpsd

Reaction score
I can make adjustments to the SOI mapping without touching any other maps and by advancing and retRdibg timing I can greatly change how the turbo spools. I can literally advance it enough so that the my 369 1.0 can't even spool up. It also makes a huge difference in effeciency and opacity.

Swaan

Reaction score
Yes this is true^^^^^^^

Advancing the timing actually makes the turbo spool slower and less overall boost. Retarded timing down low will make the turbo come on faster.

Tuners sometimes do this if your running a big charger. They will actually retard the timing lower rpm to bring the charger to the party faster then start advancing as rpm comes up.

MeTo

Reaction score
I can make adjustments to the SOI mapping without touching any other maps and by advancing and retRdibg timing I can greatly change how the turbo spools. I can literally advance it enough so that the my 369 1.0 can't even spool up. It also makes a huge difference in effeciency and opacity.

So your essential manipulating combustion pressure?

superpsd

Reaction score
Pretty much. Retarded timing will be laggier. Smokier if too retarded until charger lights. EGTs higher (helps spool). Knock lower due to lower CP. NoX typically lower but fuel effeciency is also lower. When you nail the timing and overall tune to get it to sweet spot you will be happy. I only use one tune for everything I do now granted I am controlling shifting and not the PCM. You can use a tune to manipulate a lot but there will be some trade offs depending on your setup. Tuning my setup took experimentation since my hand built injectors have never been on a bench and I don't know what they flow. Once I got to dialing in this SOI maps. I started very conservative with lots of lag and smoke. And slowly advance until the engine came to life and clean out the pipe and use the ears to dial in the tone. Now it sounds near a stock timed truck as I want to keep it together for as long as I can considering its a 300K engine without springs, studs etc.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Pretty much. Retarded timing will be laggier. Smokier if too retarded until charger lights. EGTs higher (helps spool). Knock lower due to lower CP. NoX typically lower but fuel effeciency is also lower. When you nail the timing and overall tune to get it to sweet spot you will be happy. I only use one tune for everything I do now granted I am controlling shifting and not the PCM. You can use a tune to manipulate a lot but there will be some trade offs depending on your setup. Tuning my setup took experimentation since my hand built injectors have never been on a bench and I don't know what they flow. Once I got to dialing in this SOI maps. I started very conservative with lots of lag and smoke. And slowly advance until the engine came to life and clean out the pipe and use the ears to dial in the tone. Now it sounds near a stock timed truck as I want to keep it together for as long as I can considering its a 300K engine without springs, studs etc.
That is awesome that you did that! I know that is how everyone starts but you started with an unknown flow B code if i recall, and made the truck run well.

live life full throttle

TMCCOY

Reaction score
1023 replied that the tunes have evolved since I purchased mine (trans strategy in particular) and felt there would be a benefit to updating. Further refinement would be done from datalogging. I'll probably keep the Cummins killer and as is, get a new Street shredder and Towing tune and ditch the economy tune. Who are we kidding? Economy? Pshhh.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I have updated tunes installed but have not driven the truck very much yet. Just a trip to the fuel station in advance of the Hurricane. From the quick drive, the transmission strategy is improved for sure and it does appear the tuning is on point. The updated economy tune seems good now. Will update later once I get some more time on them.

Latest posts