Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Premium Vendors > Truck Toyz Performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
SAK's Avatar
SAK SAK is offline
Major
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, Texas
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW64 View Post
I should have been more specific, they are redundant are they not?

Marty took mine out when I was there...
In a way yes, but you have to have the cams in there or the ball joint would have nothing to hold it in place.

You have to keep the ALA's the same length on both sides when you are adjusting them, if you do not you will be trying to twist the axle(which will wear the 4 big bushings on the axle). After you get you caster set you may need to make some adjustments from one side to another, so this is where you would use different degree of cams to get it to where you want. I.E. more caster on the passenger side to help with the truck pulling to the left.
__________________
Truck Toyz Performance
  #32  
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM
DFW64 DFW64 is offline
Corporal
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
In a way yes, but you have to have the cams in there or the ball joint would have nothing to hold it in place.

You have to keep the ALA's the same length on both sides when you are adjusting them, if you do not you will be trying to twist the axle(which will wear the 4 big bushings on the axle). After you get you caster set you may need to make some adjustments from one side to another, so this is where you would use different degree of cams to get it to where you want. I.E. more caster on the passenger side to help with the truck pulling to the left.
Gotcha...think I was referring to those cams you get with the Icon leveling kit.
__________________
___________________
Mike

2008 F250 SCSB 4x4
KEM/Icon/OUO/Dynatrac

RIP, CPO Rob Reeves
KIA Afghanistan: Aug. 6, 2011
  #33  
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Aaron S's Avatar
Aaron S Aaron S is offline
Sergeant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layson View Post
That is your problem if you track rod is 2" longer.... I am thinking you need the 05 track rod bracket....
This is what I originally had on the truck. The track rod bracket off of the same truck that I got the axles out of. At least as far as I could tell it is factory, I still have the thing. It has a ford symbol stamped in it somewhere. Unless there were different trac rod brackets for the 05-07 trucks.

The only other posibilities I see as far as it being a geometry issue is if the balljoint area on the axle I have is bent in some way, but ive never been able to see anything that would indicate this.

The reason the trac rod bracket is longer is because I made the bracket to require a longer rod length. All based on a recomendation. In trying to visualize the geometry of the front end in my head im starting to think it was a mistake to make it requiring a longer rod length. That may be causing this issue.
__________________
02 ECLB auto 06axles Icon-OUO leveling

Last edited by Aaron S; 12-11-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: mo info
  #34  
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Aaron S's Avatar
Aaron S Aaron S is offline
Sergeant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW64 View Post
First, call Dave.

This all depends on your definition of "rough". Are we talking about messed up concrete or gravel/offroad conditions?

On messed up concrete, no the steering wheel does not move around. I'm assuming you are referring to unwanted feedback?

For gravel/offroad conditions, I can't say because I haven't tested the suspension with the new tires. My old Nittos were junk and vibrated badly on gravel and dirt roads.

Sometimes, at speeds under 10, I can experience some slight feedback when going over rough concrete. Its minimal and sporadic and most likely due to the worn out stock drag link.

Can you feel anything in the floorboard when it happens? Does the steering wheel kick or jerk in a certain direction.
Im refering to rough asphalt and concrete highways. I dont notice anything in the floorboards of the truck or any loose feeling at all. I tried to explain the feedback in the wheel in another post. Essentially the right side compresses and the steering wheel turns left, the left side compresses and the steering wheel turns right.
__________________
02 ECLB auto 06axles Icon-OUO leveling
  #35  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Layson's Avatar
Layson Layson is offline
Major
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron S View Post
This is what I originally had on the truck. The track rod bracket off of the same truck that I got the axles out of. At least as far as I could tell it is factory, I still have the thing. It has a ford symbol stamped in it somewhere. Unless there were different trac rod brackets for the 05-07 trucks.

The only other posibilities I see as far as it being a geometry issue is if the balljoint area on the axle I have is bent in some way, but ive never been able to see anything that would indicate this.

The reason the trac rod bracket is longer is because I made the bracket to require a longer rod length. All based on a recomendation. In trying to visualize the geometry of the front end in my head im starting to think it was a mistake to make it requiring a longer rod length. That may be causing this issue.
So the one you have on your truck now is the stock one that came with the 2002 truck. You have the 2005 stock track rod bracket sitting around somewhere.
  #36  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Aaron S's Avatar
Aaron S Aaron S is offline
Sergeant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layson View Post
So the one you have on your truck now is the stock one that came with the 2002 truck. You have the 2005 stock track rod bracket sitting around somewhere.
The trac rod bracket that is on the truck now started out as a skyjacker two inch drop bracket that was highly modified by myself and a friend. Im pretty sure it was skyjacker atleast.

My modified bracket was originaly intended for the 05 to 07 trucks.
__________________
02 ECLB auto 06axles Icon-OUO leveling

Last edited by Aaron S; 12-11-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: mo info
  #37  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Aaron S's Avatar
Aaron S Aaron S is offline
Sergeant
Member's Gallery
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 169
Default

Video of what the steering wheel is doing on a rough/ uneven bridge crossing at about 65 mph. Seem normal or not?


__________________
02 ECLB auto 06axles Icon-OUO leveling

Last edited by Aaron S; 12-17-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.

 

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Designed by Military Ltd