AN vs ORB (Oring Boss)

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
What is the difference between ORB and a typical AN fitting, I am trying to find pieces to build a Lp fuel system and am having a hard time deciphering the fitting differences. I can see the difference between them as far as the o-ring vs a flared end but are there interchangeable or usable in different situations and so on and so forth. Would really appreciate an edumacation on this.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
What is the difference between ORB and a typical AN fitting, I am trying to find pieces to build a Lp fuel system and am having a hard time deciphering the fitting differences. I can see the difference between them as far as the o-ring vs a flared end but are there interchangeable or usable in different situations and so on and so forth. Would really appreciate an edumacation on this.

Threads are the same but the sealing system is what is different.
You will want to use 37 degree flare ie AN/JIC for the hose ends.

The other end will generally be a pipe NPT fitting.

But to answer your question ORB uses an oring to seal and a AN/JIC will use the 37degree flare surface to seal.

Last edited:

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
Threads are the same but the sealing system is what is different.
You will want to use 37 degree flare ie AN/JIC for the hose ends.

The other end will generally be a pipe NPT fitting.

But to answer your question ORB uses an oring to seal and a AN/JIC will use the 37degree flare surface to seal.

This is pretty much what I figured but I wanted to be sure.

my problem enlies that I can't find a AN to ORB swivel, because im worried that the filter bases might not be at the right angle when i sock them up to the fuel pump (a1000)

HOOV3R

Reaction score
This is pretty much what I figured but I wanted to be sure.

my problem enlies that I can't find a AN to ORB swivel, because im worried that the filter bases might not be at the right angle when i sock them up to the fuel pump (a1000)

Why do you need a swivel? The female end is a swivel on the hose.

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be a dick. Is your pump jic or is your filter base jic?

Nor was I, sorry if i came off that way, been up since 5:30 this morning and am a little tired :morons:

The pump is an a1000 which is listed as a -10 AN and the filter bases are listed as a -10 AN ORB

Thanks for any help or input!

Last edited:

HOOV3R

Reaction score
That was just a quick search for an example. Try looking for a jic to orb, it's the same as an, just not aluminum. If you have a local parker store they will have them.

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
Awesome, ill check that out as there is a parker dealer about 5 mins from my house and i live in the freaking boonies! HA

Thanks so much for your help.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Because I am trying to run it as such filter base, fitting, pump, filter base.

No Hose in between the pump and the filter bases

Parker makes a real simple fitting to do that a male -10 to-10 ORB with an adjustment nut.

3474-l.jpg

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
Parker makes a real simple fitting to do that a male -10 to-10 ORB with an adjustment nut.

3474-l.jpg

Ok, i kind of figured but i was trying to see if i could find something tangible online, i guess ill have to make a run to parker dealer monday.

To me that looks like a double ended orb swivel because i dont see a flare

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Ok, i kind of figured but i was trying to see if i could find something tangible online, i guess ill have to make a run to parker dealer monday.

To me that looks like a double ended orb swivel because i dont see a flare

You would only use the flare on the hose end.

Make sure your filter base is ORB as well, some are NPT.

09stroker

Reaction score
What base do you have? If its like mine it's an ORB which is the same as the A-1000 so the fitting above would be what you need.

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
You would only use the flare on the hose end.

Make sure your filter base is ORB as well, some are NPT.

Ohh ok, that makes more sense now, the filter base I have -10 ORB

What base do you have? If its like mine it's an ORB which is the same as the A-1000 so the fitting above would be what you need.

The filter base is a -10 AN orb, from all the sites I found the A1000 details on it justs -10 an so i thought i had to use a flared AN fitting but now It makes more sense that I could just use a swivel -10 orb correct?

Here is the filter base

Last edited:

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
So for things such as pumps, regulators, and filter bases I will be using a -10 ORB (as long as it is -10 size) and for where hoses would attach i either need a standard flared -10 AN fitting setup for each end or a barb correct?

09stroker

Reaction score
For example, the inlet of first filter base and the outlet of the second filter base you would use a -10 ORB to -10 37*Flare/SAE/AN adapter fitting. Then you would use flare/AN hose ends. And of course they wont all be -10 but I'm sure you know that.

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
For example, the inlet of first filter base and the outlet of the second filter base you would use a -10 ORB to -10 37*Flare/SAE/AN adapter fitting. Then you would use flare/AN hose ends. And of course they wont all be -10 but I'm sure you know that.

Ok this i get now, thanks!

But as far as in between the pump and the filter i can use a -10 orb to -10 orb swivel correct?

Latest posts

Members online