Need some schooling

01platinum

Reaction score
Ok I keep hearing everybody talk about the chargers they are putting on their trucks ie 60mm, 80mm, 88mm and so on and so on. Where are yall taking these measurements from? When I see a 80/73 I can only guess that is the intake wheel and the exhaust wheel? Not to sure on this.

Also when running a compound set up I guess I have had it wrong or I have been right but over thinking it. Take for intense you say you are running a 38r and a 47. Now my thinking would be the 38r would help to spool the 47. But how does that work when the air filter is on the intake side of the 47 and the pipe from the hot side goes to the intake of the 38r?

Tell me if I am wrong but does the 38r help to spool the 47 when it comes back in on the exhaust side? Just need some clarification, I can draw it out and understand but don't get how the big charger is first with the smaller on behind it or is that not right either?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

01PSD

Reaction score
I was a little curious about this myself when looking at Rudy's new setup, it's hard to understand if you don't know exactly how setups like this work. I always thought the smaller turbo would feed the bigger as well

01platinum

Reaction score
I was a little curious about this myself when looking at Rudy's new setup, it's hard to understand if you don't know exactly how setups like this work. I always thought the smaller turbo would feed the bigger as well

I have been asked this question on more then one occasion and couldn't really give a straight answer so I thought I would post to help myself out and help some other members out.

01platinum

Reaction score
:bump I see people looking but not saying anything. Thinking a lot of people have the same questions.

Reaction score
The small charger spools the big charger on the exhaust side which results in moving more air to the small one. I will see if I can upload a picture so you can see it better.

Reaction score
258260_558326369524_220300916_31844510_666204_o.jpg

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Why does the small charger get spooled first on the hot side, but get fed air from the big charger? We can follow the flow and see how it works, I was just wondering why its plumbed like this when 01Platinum and I were talking about it.
This picture that David posted has a clear view of the plumbing
twins.jpg

Last edited:

01platinum

Reaction score
The small charger spools the big charger on the exhaust side which results in moving more air to the small one. I will see if I can upload a picture so you can see it better.

Ok so the way I was thinking was right. So basically the intake side just takes the air but the exhaust side is the side that everybody talks about when trying to spool. So that would explain why you want a bigger more open exhaust system cause the quicker you get the air out of the exhaust side the quicker the turbo will spool.

01Platinum's Command Center

PStroked444

Reaction score
twheels.jpg

D2 is called the "exducer" of the compressor or intake wheel.
D3 is called the "inducer"
D4 is called the "exducer" of the turbine, or exhaust wheel.
D5 is the "inducer".
On both the compressor and turbine wheels, the smaller diameter is called the "minor" and the larger is called the "major".

PStroked444

Reaction score
That turbo Must have a warning some where near it, about sucking small children inside it. That is a monster!!:jawdrop:

UPINSMOKE

Reaction score
Why does the small charger get spooled first on the hot side, but get fed air from the big charger? We can follow the flow and see how it works, I was just wondering why its plumbed like this when 01Platinum and I were talking about it.
This picture that David posted has a clear view of the plumbing
twins.jpg

Yeah the small charger is used to help spool the larger charger. This is why it is bolted or collecting exhaust from the manifolds. The exhaust side of the smaller turbo helps drive the larger turbo. The larger turbo then feeds air back through the smaller turbo where it is compressed more or compounded.

If I botched that in anyway lemme know fellas.

PStroked444

Reaction score
Only being 100% picky the smaller does not help spool the bigger one. The exhaust that goes through the smaller one pushes past and turns the bigger one. Then feed the smaller one more air than what it could get naturaly. Hope that helps. :D

Latest posts

Members online