Recommended Injectors for Garrett 38R Turbo

Enoch

Reaction score
Does it smoke excessively when it's doing it?

Thankfully not at all.

I had something similar and the silicone boots in the engine valley were loose, they
would loose boost and cause a strange shake when the engine was under
a larger load.

When I had the hutch and harpoon mod done they cleaned the engine valley and I had them install new boots at the same time. But sounds like a similar issue. Not sure whether to call it a shake, chug, sputter or ??

Enoch

Reaction score
Any mods?
At 326k+, on a stock hoop, with no tunes?
Any way to monitor icp/duty cycle?

No mods other than an SCT Tuner, 6637 Filter & 4" turbo back exhaust, everything else is stock. No custom tunes or anything.
And no no way to monitor icp/duty cycle.
Honestly wish I would've left it alone, although I did the turbo many miles ago, it ran better bone stock with an old Edge tuner.

Last edited:

Enoch

Reaction score
Have you tried removing the tuner and seeing if the problem still presents its self?

Just put it back to stock? I'll give that a try. I ran it stock for awhile because the SCT doesn't do all that much, but pretty sure it was the same, but with try it to make sure.

psduser1

Reaction score
At that mileage, relatively stock, I'd pull the tuner to start. If the problem still persists, it's going to be mechanical.
With no smoke, in a pressure based system, either the hpop is incapable of providing the required flow, or the injectors are too worn to make use of the oil provided.
In other words, either the pump or the injectors are worn out. Or both.
You'll need a way to monitor pressure and duty cycle under load to determine which needs replaced first.

Enoch

Reaction score
At that mileage, relatively stock, I'd pull the tuner to start. If the problem still persists, it's going to be mechanical.
With no smoke, in a pressure based system, either the hpop is incapable of providing the required flow, or the injectors are too worn to make use of the oil provided.
In other words, either the pump or the injectors are worn out. Or both.
You'll need a way to monitor pressure and duty cycle under load to determine which needs replaced first.

Thanks!
Pulled the tuner and didn't really make a difference.
Since I don't have a way to check what you recommended so I'll have to take it to a shop.

Enoch

Reaction score
Central Illinois (Peoria) temporarily. And I would really appreciate that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Central Illinois (Peoria) temporarily. And I would really appreciate that.
put a post in the classifieds or in the general discussion forum. ask if anyone is near.. and btw, there are apps out that can monitor stuff for you. just need a good bluetooth adapter for the obd port. and odds are, with that many miles, the ole girl is getting tired and needs some lovin!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enoch

Reaction score
put a post in the classifieds or in the general discussion forum. ask if anyone is near.. and btw, there are apps out that can monitor stuff for you. just need a good bluetooth adapter for the obd port. and odds are, with that many miles, the ole girl is getting tired and needs some lovin!

I actually came across the app thing today. I may look into that further.
And yes it definitely needs some attention, HPOP and Injectors sound like it would be a great but expensive start.
Could use a new steering pump as well.

To clarify, I'm assuming that the icp sensor doesn't have oil in the electrical connection, lol.

I can check again but last time I checked it, it was pretty clean. :)

Enoch

Reaction score
Update: Oil pressure and fuel pressure are in spec ( fuel was a little higher) & injectors passed the buzz test.
Shop said runs like any other 7.3 he's driven.
So they'll check the boost and other than that he suggested possibly just the injectors are weak due to how old they are.
I bought it with 208k mi so they might still be factory.
If I replace injectors one option is they send mine out and do what they have to do (upgrade) and then I get them back. Has anyone done this and is it cheaper?

Thanks

Enoch

Reaction score
Update: Oil pressure and fuel pressure are in spec ( fuel was a little higher) & injectors passed the buzz test.
Shop said runs like any other 7.3 he's driven.
So they'll check the boost and other than that he suggested possibly just the injectors are weak due to how old they are.
I bought it with 208k mi so they might still be factory.
If I replace injectors one option is they send mine out and do what they have to do (upgrade) and then I get them back. Has anyone done this and is it cheaper?

Thanks

psduser1

Reaction score
Buzz test just checks the electrical circuits.
What are your oil pressure numbers? Icp and duty cycle?
If the oil side is out of spec, you'll need to rebuild/replace the injectors.
Depending on how long you're keeping the truck, and how picky you are, a remain from cores will be fine.
Just remember, you'll usually get what you pay for.

Enoch

Reaction score
Wasn't told any numbers, just that they were with in spec.
I honestly don't plan on selling anytime soon if at all. I'm pretty picky but really would like it just to run good.
They're suggesting 30% over, single shot & SCT custom tune. I'm not a fan of SCT though.

Enoch

Reaction score
And I don't know injectors, so not sure what is considered stage 1's vs stage 2. I don't think I need stage 2's.

Not sure if the Full Force stage 1's from RiffRaff are any good, but seem decently priced.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Wasn't told any numbers, just that they were with in spec.
I honestly don't plan on selling anytime soon if at all. I'm pretty picky but really would like it just to run good.
They're suggesting 30% over, single shot & SCT custom tune. I'm not a fan of SCT though.
who writes custom tunes to a sct device for these tucks? i didnt think amyone did that.. unless they memt a TS style chip with custom tunes..
And I don't know injectors, so not sure what is considered stage 1's vs stage 2. I don't think I need stage 2's.

Not sure if the Full Force stage 1's from RiffRaff are any good, but seem decently priced.
stage ones are 160/0s or 160/30s which are 160 cc injectors and stock or 30% over stock injectors..

stage 2s are up to 200cc injectors with any nozzle size over stock.

stage 3s are usually hybrids that are over 200cc with bigger nozzles.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
and full force injectors are pretty good. they have been around for a while. been abusing a set in my 7.3 for over 100k..

78f100

Reaction score
Isn't River City diesel in your town? Might be worth taking it by there if you don't have a good way to test it or want a second openion. I would be Leary of the shop that told you the engine is worn out just because of mileage. You really need someone to do a cylinder contribution test. You can monitor ipr dutycycle and icp on your sct, even if it's a old x3. Does it run rough when you start it cold?

Latest posts

Members online