Rear end shake

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok I've been dealing wirh this issue for quite a while now. The rear end was acting as if I had a bent rim. Like a wobble. Changed tires,rims,rotors,pads,new caliper,new tires. All the universals I n the drive shaft have been changed,even in the front drive shat from the transfer case. The carrier bearing twice. All within the past 3 years. Now the rear I joint is bad again and the one before the carrier bearing. I've put it up on jackstands and the passenger side rear tire has an up and down motion,not a side to side. There's no play if grab the wheel try pushing top to bottom or side to side. There is a lot of movement in driveshaft but I wouldn't think it would make one wheel move that way and not the othe other. I removed the wheel and caliper and removed the bolts from the hub to pull the axle. Rear end grease started coming out. Now if it's like the front there shouldn't be any grease coming out there or should it? Also how can you tell if the bearing is bad in the hub or at the axle?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? How long since the last diff oil change? Can you move the pinion yoke in and out or up and down? How does the cups on the pinion yoke look, are they worn or ovaled? The rear portion of the drive shaft is balanced still? Have you noticed any sudden vibration changes, like a weight getting slung off? Is it grease coming out of the hub or thick oil? Anytime I rebuild the rear hubs I always pack the rear bearings with grease. There should be not be any play in the hub up and down or side to side. If there is chances are you have bad wheel bearings and or possibly a worn axle shaft.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
263k miles! There is no play at all in the hub or at the yoke. Turning the tires while jacked up the gears that were turning were all beveled the same on the edge of the gear. I don't know know if that's normal or not. I've owned the truck for 4 years now only put 60k on it last night was first time I changed it.
Now this is culprit to needing joints. I went and picked moog ujoints from autozone(rear axle at rear end which was a 295 and rear axle at carrier bearing 295)they gave me part number232 which was way smaller and had 3/4" play. Then I noticed the old one was a 331 I think. Same size as 232. So that's been an issue itself. I took it back and used 295 for both. Of course the ride is much better but still has a vibration in the rearend. I'm thinking bent axle or ebrake causing this. I'm going to pull the axle at work tomorrow and try spinning it in a threader machine. I should be able to tell,

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I took it in to the tire shop today and had the tires checked and alignment. He checked the wheels to be true and alignment was good. He installed just the wheels on the truck and all was good but the tires had 1/2" of movement.said he couldn't balance them.whats the odds of 3 different tires 3 different wheels all done no sam thing? What's funny is just now I drove 50 miles and mostly smooth. It comes and goes. Hopefully after a leaf spring change and another set of tires it'll be good again.

ja_cain

Reaction score
My money is on stuck/dragging slide pins, caliper or ebrake shoes. When it does it measure temp of rear rotors to front rotors or left to right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I was thinking e brake also. I asked the tire shop to put on new ones but they didn't have time. That was my fault because I had important meetings to attend. I definitely need to put on new ones. Calipers are fine and rotors. Installed new ones not long ago and have had them off a couple times looking for my issue. I changed tire pressure to 55lbs from 70. I went by tire spec but decided to go by the truck spec. Right rear had 40 lbs the rest had 68. There want a valve stem cap on it so I suppose it was leaking. I put one on it and its fine. It really got better after that. But not gone away.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I pulled the wheels and calipers tonight. The ebrake was sticking and nog releasing all the way on drivers side. Took a little beating to get the rotor loose. I cleaned it up pretty good and got it working right again. But this is not what's making it hop up anc down. It's getting pretty bad. The passengers side with wheel and rotor off,on jack stands in drive the hub is definitely moving in an oblong motion. There is not any movement up and down or side to side . But I'm not sure if a wheel bearing in the rear would be like one in the front. How do you tell if rear bearings are out?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well I went this morning and bought a socket to fit the rear hub but. I decided to take a break from it today. But tomorrow I'm going to pull the hub and see what the bearing looks like. Something is clattering while I'm driving down the road and the vibration is worse now. Also going to take the shocks off. I just replaced them last year but I've towed heavy and quiet a bit since then and leafs are are sagging pretty bad. So they could very well be shot. I good to find my issue and get this resolved. I have bout a 50 mile ride to work everyday and I don't think I can make another trip like it is.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Yesterday I pulled the rear hub off. Bearings looked great. Bought a 6" puller from oriellys. Hub came right off no problem. I did notice when spinning the hub with brake caliper off there was a spot it wanted to stop at. After I pulled the hub and cleaned everything up and checked for anything bad I packed the bearings and poured gear oil on it all and drove it back on the seal. Then I noticed there was a spot it wasn't going all the way to the lip of the seal. I went and bought a new seal and put it all back together. The hub turned much easier and even all the way around. Even though this did not resolve my problem I could tell a bit of difference. I'm having new rear leafs installed Thursday and a front alignment with tire balance. If tires won't balance getting new stickers.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok guys today I pulled the drivers side rear hub and took the emergency brake assembly off. I figured if the ebrake is causing problems then I should see a difference. I was putting the new bearings and hub all back on and then realized I had the wrong inner seal. Too late to get another one so just for the helluvit I put the hub on the spindle with bearings pushed on. It turned really easy and smooth but I noticed the hub wobble. No axle bolted on but it's definitely off. The old bearings looked fine and could've reinstalled them. What would cause a hub to bend? To much weight? I took the axle and put it in a pipe vise,using a square for straight edge out toward hub side there's a 1/16" dip in the axle. The rest seems pretty even. The dip is 3" or so. Where can I find a rear hub?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well I finally figured the problem l. Bad set of tires. I had a new set of 305/70/16's put on and drives and rides new again. However they said my factory aluminum wheels were bent,3of 4. They balanced out but he added more weights than he liked. Must be hauling heavy and age?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.