New Alternator

ja_cain

Reaction score
Need a new alternator asap. Don't have time to order or get my old one rewound. What's the best option for parts store alternators? My just go with an Advance and have my old one rewound as a backup. Thanks in advance for any help!

Justin

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Went with a cheap Advance alternator. $125 after coupon. Should be good for a few months Lol! Good thing Is I found out my bottom alternator isn't working, so I'll probably upgrade that one.
5c3e04ee68b78650f35af02b45c33f85.jpg
a49341ee09569373cd767895fff1cb1a.jpg
304b603e58ce72d3905d62d354d74191.jpg

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I had to swap out my alternator that I just put on last month. 10 volts. :mad: I was driving around with 10 volts. Was afraid it was gonna die. Got down to 9 something volts and the radio was turning off. “Just make it back to the farm baby”

ja_cain

Reaction score
I had to swap out my alternator that I just put on last month. 10 volts. :mad: I was driving around with 10 volts. Was afraid it was gonna die. Got down to 9 something volts and the radio was turning off. “Just make it back to the farm baby”
That's how it was this morning! It was down around 11.8 and dropping. I got all the way to church to do setup and had to drive back, because I didn't want to get stranded. Lol! I've been wondering about that other alternator too. Now I know it's bad too! Lol!

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I know I've been needing an alternator for a while. I had my voltage regulator go bad last year, and my gauge was pegged, making north of 18v. I was pretty scared on the drive home... but I was cheap and just bought a regulator. So far so good, but it's on my list to replace for just precautionary reasons.

mandkole

Reaction score

😆 yep.. I was on the interstate when I literally saw the gauge go from good to not good. Had 6-8 miles before home.

psduser1

Reaction score
Need a new alternator asap. Don't have time to order or get my old one rewound. What's the best option for parts store alternators? My just go with an Advance and have my old one rewound as a backup. Thanks in advance for any help!

Justin

The nice thing about cheap chain store parts is the fact that they are everywhere, lol. Makes the warranty are least somewhat worthwhile!

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’d keep an eye on your volts driving still Mine drops into the 10s sometimes when I’m driving and I got mine from one of the part stores. Depends on what’s running but amp for subwoofer, lights, and the fuel pump gets a pretty decent draw going. Ive been meaning to get a better one just don’t drive it enough for it to be on the top of the priority list. I’ve warrantied 2 for low bolts, their tester in store doesn’t show it getting low voltage but I argue with them that it does in the truck until they give me a new one anyway.

superpsd

Reaction score
On my 7.3 my alternator was only keeping batteries at 12.1-12.4 V depending on draw. So I bought a motorcraft unit from Amazon. Been working fine since.

ghohouston

Reaction score
One must keep in mind, you're running an i.d.m. and in turn the injectors as well. Everything is electronic even on these dinosaurs. My personal belief is these trucks need a but higher amperage alternator than what they were equipped with.

ja_cain

Reaction score
The nice thing about cheap chain store parts is the fact that they are everywhere, lol. Makes the warranty are least somewhat worthwhile!
That was my thoughts exactly at least on one of them. The secondary will most likely be of higher quality and output.

ja_cain

Reaction score
BTW, looks like this place isn't as dead as I thought it was. Lol!

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I put a mechman 240 amp alternator on a few months back, love it! Instantly charged up in the morning after starting, where the old one would take about 40 seconds or so.. so far recommend

Reaction score
Dc power engineering makes a few different options for the 7.3

I went with the 190amp alt. With the larger case. No complaints.

JCart

Reaction score
Leece-Neville 200 amp, was a spare ran it for years on red CCSB. Installed this fall replacing Tan truck stock one, works awesome notice charge difference immediately especially after cold start using glow plug system. Pricey yes but worth the cost in long run (I think), that and totally rebuildable. Also added cable leads to positive battery on passenger side and Neg lead to battery on drivers side, with #2 welding cable. Plus installed a 200 amp waterproof resettable breaker. Put on the best quality, highest output you can afford, being these engines are electronic stable power source is important I think.
j