block heater srsly......

13fist

Reaction score
replaced first the cord, then yesterday the block heater itself.
I'm getting just over 15 ohms, good continuity.
tested at 2hrs cold. 4hrs cold. all night long 7hrs cold. I'm at work and it'll be plugged in at least 10hrs, likely more.

I think I can hear a faint sizzle, but nothing like the bacon in the skillet sounds I got when I first started using the heater.

Sent using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
Apologize for being disjointed, but I'm trying to post while working. the block heater in my 7.3 doesn't seem to be doing much heating. I've run out of things to check. there's the cord and the heater, both new. I'm at a loss.

Sent using Tapatalk

Bugman

Reaction score
They don't really heat up that much. The coolant will be warm enough to warm up the block and a bit of the oil to aid in the starting of the truck.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
They don't really heat up that much. The coolant will be warm enough to warm up the block and a bit of the oil to aid in the starting of the truck.

I guess the old one was getting hotter as it was going out. it no longer has any continuity at all though.
when I first started using it, I swear I could hear it sizzle, and it would show up on the temp gauge when I'd start it.
temp would drop off quickly when the cold oil in the pan got pumped up.

maybe time to look at a heating pad or something.

Sent using Tapatalk

Bugman

Reaction score
What are the temperatures where you are at?

For most areas all that is needed are the glow plugs

dsberman94

Reaction score
Just because it isn’t necessary doesn’t mean it isn’t nice to have. Been down in the teens here and the truck starts without it, sounds terrible for a bit while it warms up but it starts. Doesn’t sound so terrible with the block heater.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Best thing I've done to my truck is installing a webasto thermo top c.. little spendy if you buy the kit new, but you can piece it together much cheaper.. lookup parking heater on Ebay, just make sure it's off a diesel..

I can leave mine on for about 2hrs before I want to start my truck, and it'll get it up to about 160 or so.. or at work, instead of leaving my truck running, it'll keep it at 180 or so, unless the wind is blowing or its below 0, which it is here.. totally awesome, worthwhile if you live in a cold area

13fist

Reaction score
He’s in VA and it hasn’t been super cold here
I moved to Montana and it's been dipping into the negatives lately with a bit of snow. I've been told by the locals it hasn't even gotten cold here yet.

I never used the block heater when in Virginia.in fact, I had the cord packed away for years. the worst I ever saw there was a little hazy exhaust for a few minutes.

I did install a battery charger/maintainer that's been great. now I just want the engine to be a bit warmer.

Sent using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You guys do realise even though they will most likely start ok, it's so much easier on parts. My oil cooler pisses in single digits with no block heater, but shell start just fine... I'd hate to fully blow out a oil seal just cause I'm not plugging in

13fist

Reaction score
Best thing I've done to my truck is installing a webasto thermo top c.. little spendy if you buy the kit new, but you can piece it together much cheaper.. lookup parking heater on Ebay, just make sure it's off a diesel..

I can leave mine on for about 2hrs before I want to start my truck, and it'll get it up to about 160 or so.. or at work, instead of leaving my truck running, it'll keep it at 180 or so, unless the wind is blowing or its below 0, which it is here.. totally awesome, worthwhile if you live in a cold area

Neat! I did some research on this and I think it's the way I'll be going. Over time the savings from not plugging in will be worth it.
It looks like some of the VW tdi cars came with these from the factory making it doable to piece out on the cheap.

13fist

Reaction score
I'll be getting webasto parts from around the world over the next several days.
Most of the youtube videos about these are in russian. moy russky ochen rzhavy.

Plumbing everything should be straight forward. I'll have a better sense of it when parts are in hand but Mounting location of the unit itself is looking to be the challenge.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I have a ranch hand bumper on my truck, so I just mounted it underneath there, behind my fog lights.. my buddy put one on his truck, and he mounted it on the passenger's side frame rail.. hardest part of the install for me was dropping the tank and installing the dip tube for fuel.. I just used a 1/4 compression bulkhead fitting I got at napa, and some copper tubing, because I couldn't find stainless when I went to do it.. great time to do the hutch and harpoon mods at the same time..

For now, I have it tied into my heater hoses.. not the best setup, but i needed to get it done lol.. i have the international water pump, and I'm gonna tap into those ports, but I couldn't get the steel plugs out, so I'm gonna wait until I change the water pump again.. it still works really good how I have it, just will work better, drawing from the thermostat side and going back into the cold side of the water pump.. I also plan to put a check valve into the cold heater hose, so it doesn't take the path of least resistance..

Where at in Montana are you at? Fellow Montana boy here!

13fist

Reaction score
I'm in Billings these days. I like the bumper Idea, Close to the rad and batteries and shouldn't be in the way.
Really not looking forward to dropping the tank again, but there are a few other things to do while it's down.
Last time I had the tank out I installed a beans diesel sump. Also told myself next time I have to drop the
tank, I'm making an access hatch in the back.
I was thinking about using the stock pickup tube for the webasto, since it's just capped off at the moment.
Not sure if that will work. I have read a few things saying the tube for the heater is the metering orifice for the
fuel pump. That seems strange to me. I'd expect any fuel regulating to be on the pump output side. But I'll see
when I get my hands on it.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Nice, I'm on the western side, couple of hours outside of Missoula, but I work in the frozen ****hole of hoth north Dakota lol..

I haven't heard anything about the size of the tube being the metering orifice.. I used 1/4 all the way on mine, and the pump seemed to put our the same no matter what.. I think the only problem you may have using the stock pickup is maybe a priming issue when the tank is almost empty, as these things don't use much diesel.. I read somewhere in the manual it's like a 1/4 gallon an hour at full steam, or maybe it was liter.. idk lol, its not much either way..

I had thought about putting a tee in the fuel line before it gets to the truck fuel pump, but my buddy brought up it might draw air there while it's running through the webasto..

Whatever you do, let me know if you need help.. the wiring is super easy, especially if you get a factory webasto harness..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just T into the beans sump lines. Way easier than dropping tank. Any brand of pre heaters are awesome. Very pricey but awesome. The metering is done in the pump. Its a spit pump. It cycles on off on off constantly and jusy spits lilttle at a time.. webasto, espar, pro heat.. all virtually the same. Just different names and wiring options. I have worked on them all. Thay are great when they work but suck when they dont and need worked on. Lol..

In the warm or hot months they still need ran once a week because they will gum up and destroy the pump or many other small parts inside so keep fresh fuel cycled through them..

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
That makes a lot more sense. Looking at the way these work, how are they with the various fuel additives on the market? I'm thinking there might be some risk of coking with some of the lubricity additives. My Excursion is a fan of the stanadyne stuff.
I've got extra time to plan as it seems my mail carrier decided they wanted to keep the first box. :cursing:

13fist

Reaction score
webasto parts finally arrived. Smaller than it appeared in pictures.
almost like a tiny APU

Sent using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online