AUX fuel tank

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Ive got a 30 gal tank im prepping to install. Im having a hard time finding a straight answer on what size the filler neck is on these trucks. Ive heard the ID is anywhere from 1.25" to 3". If I cant find the answer, I'll just snip, measure then go to the store, but it sure would nice to have all my parts in advance. TIA for any answers.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
ID of fuel hose coming off the filler neck is 1.5". Thought I would add incase anybody is looking for this answer in the future. Cheers

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
yeah i just bought the rds auxiliary fuel tank hose kit for mine from northern tool and it was simple to install

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Run it to the vent line. By the parts at the hardware store.
I put a 90 in my truck a few weeks ago. This is the 4th one I put in and the first through the vent. I won't install them any other way now.
Get a 90 from the tank, little valve, hose barb to size of line you like. I used 3/8" this time.
Get 1/2" hose barbs and tee along with 1/2" hose barb to size of line you run.
Cut vent line and put in.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
That's what I did. Works great.
Photo167_zps1f247833.jpg

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Nothing other than it is easier to install in the vent than the metal fill line, cheaper for the parts and then you can use any size line you like.

jcain

Reaction score
So how does the factory tank vent while the vent line is occupied with fuel during gravity feed?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Everything is connected to the main tank with no check valves so it really doesn't matter which one you use.
Not the line on top of the tank, the 1/2" one that runs up to the fill neck.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I am JUST now seeing this. I ended up running it to the main fuel line, and fabbing up $20 worth of material. Been working great. I've put maybe 7,000 miles on it so far with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brown1

Reaction score
to bing up am old thread, i got a sweet deal on a tfi tank with a pump in it. is there any reason i can't plumb this tank with the pump the exact same way. it has a fuel management controller with it but i would rather just wire the pump to one of my upfitters and be done.

brown1

Reaction score
so no pump for now. i am going gravity. any delt with the tee fittings with the rollover valve(deezee or rds)?my question is weather i can just leave tank valve open or close it when it is not needed. would leaving it open keep it full up to the cap? if leaving it open was not an option then my feeling is to to turn on valve when i drive which would suck or install a solenoid most likely controlled from an upfitter.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I had a 45 galon tank in my 04 f350. It has a gravity fed to the filler neck. When I would go on a long trip I would just open the 3/8" ball valve and drive for about 12 hours straight. Never overflowed and fuel gauge never came off of F.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

brown1

Reaction score
just finished up last night. ended up going with a 12v solenoid hooked to upfitter1. i will offer some feedback after a few miles. on a side note is there anywhere i can get small decal for the upfitter to signify it being for fuel?

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Ive been running gravity feed for 200,000 miles on my '13, and 60,000 on my '17 (same tank, RDS 97 gallon tool/fuel box, I just moved it to the '17, which is a PITA due to bed height change and different spacing on the floor of the bed... and I had to move the drain location due to the narrowed width in the front of the bed...)

I leave it open all the time when I am hauling, but when I am DDing her, I shut it. Once or twice (or 6 or 7 times...) I saw more than a few drips of fuel under the truck near the fuel fill door, and it scared the chit out of me. Plus, on my '13, it leaked enough to short out my Airlift controller for my airbags...

Also, even though it says 97 gallon, I only fit 92 gallons in it the first time I filled it. AND.... once it drained, I can only fit 85-87 gallons in it... the drain is not on the bottom, so I cannot get all of the fuel out, and the filler neck extends 1-2 inches into the top of the tank, keeping me from filling it to its 97 gallon capacity... But, 85 "usable" gallons triples my capacity and range...

brown1

Reaction score
bringing an old thread to life. so my tank just sacrificed too much room in my bed so i have sold it. anyone have a part no for the rubber hose that connects fill neck to the tank? i can only find fill neck p/n.

Latest posts

Members online