ISO diagnostic tool for a evidently non flashed 94.5 7.3

wildbill963258

Reaction score
So my truck has the typical crank but wont start issue, I think I have stumbled upon the problem as I just recently replaced my harness with one from a 97 7.3 and the plug from the EOT sensor was different. Well instead of cutting and splicing the new harness I just went and bought a new EOT sensor with the right shape of plug on it. When i took the old EOT sensor out no oil came out of the HPOP reservoir at all and that's why my truck wont start. Well to try to see what the truck is doing I asked my brother in law to hook his diagnostic tool up to it and do live readings. It wouldn't even pull the codes from the pcm so now he has to go get a DA-5 cable in order to pull codes. I have a superchips tuner that will pull codes but other than loading the canned tunes that's all it can do. And yes while my brother in law has the tool to do live readings I dont want to have to depend on him each time my truck does something so I need a little help on a tool that will work for my truck please and thanks in advance.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I do have a pcm from a 97 manual transmission truck but I've been told that it needs to be reflashed in order to work on mine and I've been told that it doesn't so I'm a little confused with that. If it doesn't need to be reflashed then can I just plug it in just to run diagnostics and get live readings from my truck?

co04cobra

Reaction score
You can put that pcm in and leave it. It does not need reflashed. Sorry I’ve been hard to get I touch with. Been a very busy and short handed few weeks.

Reaction score
The 97 PCM will be fine as long as it is a DPC-203 and not a DPC-311 (those were for 97 California 5-speed truck with splitshot injectors and are pinned out completely different). Cheers!

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Is that all I need to do to make my truck completely obd2 compliant? The reason I ask is because the current pcm that is on my truck has a refurbish date of September of 2013 and it's still not completely obd2 compliant.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Another question and it's off this topic kind of but I just dont feel like creating another thread for it. If I upgrade to a sd hpop since mine is a 94.5 what is the best way to get the sd hpop to work? And I'm not gonna go used I'm gonna buy everything brand new that way I dont have to worry about anything at all.

Reaction score
Not many code readers will work these trucks as they are not fully OBD-II compliant. Any scanner has to be able to read the enhanced Ford parameters. If your current PCM has been reflashed (and is not the original 94.5 programming), it is as updated as it needs to be for diagnostics by a compatible reader. There are places that will repair PCMs, but they are not worth it to me when you can find a replacement fairly easily (unless you need a 97 Cali DPC-311 or 312).

For the HPOP you would need to have the 17* pump guts put into an early pump body (not sure if someone like Terminator is still doing that or not) or you will have draindown issues. Cheers!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Your best bet for hpop would be a adrenaline. Like was stated. Your truck has a anti-drain back pump and front cover.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
If I pull live readings as I'm trying to start my truck will that tell what's going on with my hpop or ipr valve or do I need to put an oil pressure gauge off the oil filter housing to get a better understanding of what's happening?

Reaction score
Once the PCM has been flashed you would use OBD-II port under the dash to read the codes. So you need the cable and scanner for that. Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online