Problems Being Del***d in Texas

PSDJunky

Reaction score
Hey everyone (mainly folks living in TX with a del***d truck), I've heard that Texas is very tough on mod'd diesels. Specifically, I've heard that you can expect to be running down the highway and get pulled over, ticketed a crazy amount, & possibly have to get your truck towed if caught being del***d. I guess they'd notice by the exhaust or clearly if ya blew black smoke. That's frustrating and seems to be a little embellished to me. But, I'm moving to OK for about 4 yrs, plan to drive around in TX sporadically, & plan to del*** my new truck soon. So, I thought I'd see what I could learn from y'all on here. I appreciate any solid words of advice/ experience.

andrewtac

Reaction score
This is the first I’ve heard. I don’t intentionally blow smoke, or at least don’t desire it. However, it happens when I punch it and the motor is loaded; it has happened in front of cops. There are businesses that advertise ****** stuff here. I was concerned about it, knowing the “rules”, but did it anyways.

farm boy

Reaction score
I haven't been pulled over or had any issues being del3ted and I drive around different parts of Texas plenty. Truck is usually loaded and sings a pretty decently loud tune most of the time. Truck doesn't really smoke tho.

I get mine inspected at a Strouhaul tire by the house and they have never ask or mentioned the fact that it's del3ted.

Don't worry about it and just run it.

PSDJunky

Reaction score
I haven't been pulled over or had any issues being del3ted and I drive around different parts of Texas plenty. Truck is usually loaded and sings a pretty decently loud tune most of the time. Truck doesn't really smoke tho.

I get mine inspected at a Strouhaul tire by the house and they have never ask or mentioned the fact that it's del3ted.

Don't worry about it and just run it.
This is the first I’ve heard. I don’t intentionally blow smoke, or at least don’t desire it. However, it happens when I punch it and the motor is loaded; it has happened in front of cops. There are businesses that advertise ****** stuff here. I was concerned about it, knowing the “rules”, but did it anyways.
'Preciate it gents, the person that told me was an older guy, at my chosen local dealership truck shop. He's a diesel guy & has been working on em since non-turbo 7.3s. But, he works at a Ford dealership and his '11 is bone stock. I trust a lot of what he says, but not everything.

dmd

Reaction score
They dont even open my hood for emissions, it is just a safety check.

I burn clean though, no smoke.. That is for the flat brim cap folks.

PSDJunky

Reaction score
They dont even open my hood for emissions, it is just a safety check.

I burn clean though, no smoke.. That is for the flat brim cap folks.
Flat brim cap folks I'm with ya there

doo dah

Reaction score
They have gotten pretty tight on safety inspections down here. My guy used to just slap the sticker on my truck and off I went, now every bulb etc...and even told me my tint on front windows is not compliant (pretty sure I'm 35%) so emissions could be next. Not sure any shop is set up for actual testing though and certainly 95% of law enforcement wouldn't know 100% if you are compliant or not by just looking at the truck. As others have said, wouldn't fret over it.

RyanD

Reaction score
I still have everything intact, but at 86K miles and the way I drive, I am leaning towards Jenny Craig-ing soon. I take mine to a Lube shop known to work in a Jiffy near I10 and Callaghan Rd here in SA and last year when I asked the manager she told me, "even if I did have to check, I wouldn't know what to look for". Mine is coming due so I will be interested to see if they apply any more scrutiny this year.

They have gotten pretty tight on safety inspections down here. My guy used to just slap the sticker on my truck and off I went, now every bulb etc...and even told me my tint on front windows is not compliant (pretty sure I'm 35%) so emissions could be next. Not sure any shop is set up for actual testing though and certainly 95% of law enforcement wouldn't know 100% if you are compliant or not by just looking at the truck. As others have said, wouldn't fret over it.

Rustler

Reaction score
I'd say it is the opposite of what you've heard with a few exceptions.

Texas has the TxDPS and TCEQ tattle tale call in & report a vehicle programs, depending on where you are there is anything between a very good chance and next to no chance to get ' called in on ' & reported.
The statute is - if a vehicle produces visible exhaust emissions for more than 10 seconds.
If your license plate # gets more than a few calls even under 10 seconds you certainly can get a visit or if they receive a video or two of you being a coal rolling goober smoocher you stand a very good chance.
Really any place you can get called in on if you purposefully go around blowing smoke like a toothless friend of Neal & Bob.

Although it is quite rare, if you get caught the penalties can be very stiff.

Anywhere within 40-60 miles of Austin and the affluent areas in the DFW area Houston, & San Antonio the bunny huggers have those # in their contacts & are quick to call in.
unless your near a bigger city you pretty much gotta be acting a complete dipsh!t.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Abput 10yrs ago or more there was a dpuche nozzel dps officer in between austin and satx that was targeting diesel trucks.... back in the 6.4 days. He dissapeared or quit writing tickets. He was ticketing 7.3 truck for removing their ***s.... that kind of bright crayon. I see alot ******d and nobody seems to care. I would prefer to look stock personally to avoid attention. I also would refrain from saying where i got inspected as they do watch groups for things like that and do stings. I doubt short of being obnoxious anyone would even notice

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PSDJunky

Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the info ... currently planning to only do one section of pipe, leaving just the tip... and muffler, probably... and drive like an adult that pays my own billsseems like that should keep me good

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the info ... currently planning to only do one section of pipe, leaving just the tip... and muffler, probably... and drive like an adult that pays my own billsseems like that should keep me good
Yep it should.. unless they profile you.. lol..

Thats how i got popped in new york. Now i have added a resonator and a Donaldson muffler, debadged the doors and the platinum down the bed sides and have a axle dump..... unless you hear it under load and can tell its turbo whistle then that is all you hear. No drone. Not any louder than my brothers 6.2 gasser with a flowmaster muffler on it. I may even put a e85 gas cap on it and pluf the d e f cap hole and remove the fill tube so that if they look inside the fuel door it will look like a gasser. Lol... maybe not that far but i did check and see if my brothers gas cap fit on my diesel cap. And it does. Lol

live life full throttle

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score

Thats how i got popped in new york. Now i have added a resonator and a Donaldson muffler, debadged the doors and the platinum down the bed sides and have a axle dump..... unless you hear it under load and can tell its turbo whistle then that is all you hear. No drone. Not any louder than my brothers 6.2 gasser with a flowmaster muffler on it. I may even put a e85 gas cap on it and pluf the d e f cap hole and remove the fill tube so that if they look inside the fuel door it will look like a gasser. Lol... maybe not that far but i did check and see if my brothers gas cap fit on my diesel cap. And it does. Lol

live life full throttle
Thats actually clever

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PSDJunky

Reaction score

live life full throttle
I applaud your thoroughness good sir

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.