2016 whine on initial acceleration

T_W6.7

Reaction score
Have a relatively high pitched whine that sounds like it's coming from the turbo/fuel filter area only on initial acceleration and only when truck has been able to cool down for quite a while or sat overnight. Goes away right after initial acceleration and cannot get it to duplicate noise. Truck was salvaged and my body shop guy and myself put it back together. Had 30k on it when we got it. Have 50k now, started this a few weeks ago, turbo seems to function appropriately and builds 20+lbs of boost according to the gauge. Recently towed me 30ft long enclosed trailer with a full house worth of stuff in it 1000 miles to Arkansas from Wyoming, so if the turbo was going out, I figured it would've let go there. Completely stock. First oil change I used motorcraft 10w-30, been using LE 5w-40 the last two. Checked fuel filter o-rings and what not, seems to be good.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
Have you checked shaft play if turbo while cold?

live life full throttle

I haven't, but once I get back from work out of town I will. I'm kind of suspecting that as the problem, who knows what it ingested while sitting in the lot at auction. Was completely sealed up and what not when we picked up. I checked the intake/intake manifold for rats nests and stuff when rebuilding the truck, just cause we've seen that a couple times.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I get the same sort of noise out of the upper fuel filter. It has been hit-n-miss due to filter changes. Just seems to be a filter thing in my mind.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
It very well could be a filter thing, the sound doesn't affect anything and I have a really hard time thinking it's the turbo after I took everything apart and checked it for shaft play. Thing is tight. Speaking of the upper fuel filter, I believe it may have started happening shortly after my last change. Life has been fairly hectic so I can't pin point a time when it started exactly.

Latest posts

Members online