Regen Frequency

RyanD

Reaction score
Hey all - almost 5 years in with my first diesel and still have some questions.

Truck is a bone stock '13 with 88K miles. I run a bottle of Diesel Kleen with every other fill up, use Amsoil (I know LE is the new stuff, but I've got a great distributor here), and keep the DEF tank topped off. Typical daily drives are running up ~12 miles to bring the truck to full running temps (196/196) and then mall crawling ~4 miles to get to work.

I've noticed that regens are occurring more frequently than usual, maybe every 100 miles or less, and they're taking longer to complete (I enabled the screen through ForScan).

My main question is - is this normal? I'm sensitive to it more so lately because of my miles, and I want to start preparing for either exhaust anorexia or sourcing a new ***. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down and having to make the decision with the truck out of commission.

webb06

Reaction score
Do you ever drive the highway? Sounds like you need to take a run up the road for a couple hours and get it to do a full cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You need to get the sensors checked out. Sounds like maybe a bad *** psi sensor. Incorrect pressure reading maybe

PDT1081

Reaction score
Hey all - almost 5 years in with my first diesel and still have some questions.

Truck is a bone stock '13 with 88K miles. I run a bottle of Diesel Kleen with every other fill up, use Amsoil (I know LE is the new stuff, but I've got a great distributor here), and keep the DEF tank topped off. Typical daily drives are running up ~12 miles to bring the truck to full running temps (196/196) and then mall crawling ~4 miles to get to work.

I've noticed that regens are occurring more frequently than usual, maybe every 100 miles or less, and they're taking longer to complete (I enabled the screen through ForScan).

My main question is - is this normal? I'm sensitive to it more so lately because of my miles, and I want to start preparing for either exhaust anorexia or sourcing a new ***. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down and having to make the decision with the truck out of commission.
What gears and tire size? My 13 with 3.31s and 285/70/17s would regen between 100 and 150 miles depending on where I bought fuel. That's a 55 mile highway commute at 70mph every day.

JMart

Reaction score
Do you ever drive the highway? Sounds like you need to take a run up the road for a couple hours and get it to do a full cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Mine regened every 100 miles if there was little to no highway driving involved. My commute is similar to yours. 18 miles each way. Highway speeds in the morning and stop and go on the way home. Was in regen every 100 to 150 miles. Drove it to Colorado and back and after the first regen went close to 400 miles before the next one.

RyanD

Reaction score
When I catch it in a regen, I do make an effort to drive until the screen reports 0% full. What caught my attention was we took a ~350 mile round trip a couple of weeks ago and I had a full regen going to our destination and a full one coming back. I'm just really trying to figure out how much life is left in the *** so I can plan for the future.

RyanD

Reaction score
Not sure on gears, but I am running a 2.5" Carli level with 295/65/20 - so when I said Bone Stock I meant tuning/diets. Makes sense that I'd regen more with more added stress to the truck.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ehhhhh

If truck is working harder egts should be hotter and therefore basically burning up alot of the soot.

Latest posts

Members online