ZF6 went Boom!

Reaction score
I can tell you it is NOT light and def use a jack of some sort with the tranny strapped to it so it doesn't fall off. It will hurt you if it falls on you. You will have to jack up at least one side of the truck to get it to slide out from under the frame rails. I pulled the t case first and then concentrated on the tranny. Made it easier to manage by myself.

EPA

Reaction score
With the one you posted I dont see any easy way to adjust pitch and angle... The one I posted can easily adjust both and this helps tons when lining it all up for install. I'm only assuming that you are using a floor jack. And not mounting the adapter to a big bottle transmission jack.

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Well its only been over a year. Finally got started on this. Dropped the driveshafts and skid plate. Will get the shifter wiring harness and clutch hydraulics next. I'm guessing I should drop the transfer case separate from transmission. Will the transmission slide out from under truck if the truck isn't on a lift? You guys have any other recommendations?

Out is easy, lol. I use a floor jack to lower the trans down, then wiggle it off the jack onto the floor. On my truck (roughly two inch lift), the frame rails and down pipe will keep the trans on the jack until it's close enough to control the slide to the ground.
Then muscle the trans out from under the truck.

I would also recommend taking the t-case out separately. Pull all the flange bolts, and let the case rotate down while it is still hanging on the input shaft. Then slide the t-case off the input shaft (trans output shaft), and lower it to the floor. Its heavy, but manageable, with the center of gravity lower.
When you go to reinstall the trans/t-case, just reverse the procedure. Pick the fixture you like, I've always used either a standard transmission jack, or a floor jack with a block of wood. Whatever works.
I'm no expert, about 4 hrs to pull, and, for me, double that to reinstall. That's on the floor in the shop. If you buy a decent fixture, and have a lift, should be able to shorten those times. Nothing terribly complicated, just awkward and heavy!

EPA

Reaction score
Some areas have shops that rent bays with 2 and 4 post lifts and all the tools you would ever need haha. Bellevue Washington has a shop like this.. It was pretty cool. I paid 200 bucks to set my truck up on the lift and replace torque converter and do a few other things. I recently heard they added a plasma cnc to there line up of tools. If your military or know someone who is many bases have these shops aswell.
Not sure I ever want to do another on the floor after this experience haha... But unfortunately I will be in a couple months.

Last edited:

EPA

Reaction score
Ply wood under truck when on gravel haha... I finally did this after tons of work laying on gravel fighting jacks and rocks jamming into my back.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
It was sitting in shed with gravel floor since Oct '17. We pushed over to the house today with Bobcat. Figured it would encourage me to get going. Plus it's on concrete and close to my tools. So much dust on windshield my wife was complaining she couldn't see.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Well finally got it down. I removed the PTO cover. I can turn the output on trans. The PTO gear turns but if I push against it, it stops. So in guessing i stripped a gear?
Cant see anything wrong with clutch. Input shaft has no play.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Ok I put the shifter back in and it wasn't fully in gear. So both ends turn which is good. Pulled clutch and the splined collar in disk was loose. So much for the SouthBend. Any suggestions on clutches? Anyone used the Southbend master cylinder? Or is there something better?
Trans does have some play in the gears when I turn it and has always had gear roll over noise.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Talked to Dan. I think he's going to get me some part #'s tomorrow. The disk had LUK stamped on it, even though it was a SB. The kevlar bushing looks rough. I purchased an oil lite bushing for the new clutch. He's recommending a ceramic.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
So working on installation. Should i use blue or red loctite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts? Is there a torque sequence on these bolts? Also the new throw out bearing doesn't snap into the shifter fork. Any reason for concern on that?

psduser1

Reaction score
Is it snug, or really sloppy?
I assume it's the correct bearing?
I dont remember for sure, it's been a few beers ago, but I'm 99% that my replacement bearings just set on the fork.

Latest posts

Members online