Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Suspension, Drive Train, and Tires

Old 04-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Ordered all my brake parts from Napa this morning. They were pretty competitive to prices I was seeing online with the exception of the backer plates. Went with the Dorman kit that rusty recommended. Got them from amazon at half of what napa wanted.

With my new Rear leaf configuration (long '12 springs and sky shackle flip) I've been a bit worried about setting the height of the front to match the rear. Its kind of shooting from the hip at this point. On most conversions on OBS trucks that I have seen with the 2.5" lift they are a bit low to my liking in the front. So I just ordered a OUO adjustable kit to add a bit of height and adjustment (0-2.5") to the front end.

http://www.ouostore.com/Front_Suspen...5_Ford_SD.html

I have the radius drop brackets already to give the correct caster and am also installing the carli caster shims while I have the axle torn apart to give a bit extra in case I want to crank the front up further. Should allow me to change ride heights pretty easily later on in case I want to go up a tire size or something. In my experience, with lifted trucks there is really no such thing as too much caster....
Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Back on this project in full force now. We just sold our house and close in 3 weeks, so the truck MUST drive out of the garage under its own power by then. No buts about it.

After 6hrs more hours last night with a chipping hammer, 4" grinder, wire wheel, some degreaser, rust treatment and thinner I think I got those northern NH axles and coil buckets pretty much cleaned up and ready for paint.

They now have a coat of primer and will be getting a coat or two of rustoleum satin black tonight.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:53 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Made some headway this weekend. Both axles are painted. New lower spring perches installed on front axle. Coil buckets and radius arm brackets bolted up. New superduty steering box painted installed and plumbed. Front axle under truck.

Some pics:

Here's the coil buckets with my custom upper perch repairs installed

Coil buckets mounted

Superduty steering box painted up - just drilled out the frame holes to 5/8" and box bolted right in

New adjustable lower coil mounts

Axle is under truck!

Old 06-05-2017, 03:57 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

The most difficult part of this so far is the trac bar mount. It is proving to be a bit of a pain. I'm in process of modifying the stock superduty unit. Doing some trimming and adding another mount farther forward on the frame. I'll have pictures soon.

I was also surprised how 'bolt-in' the steering box was. Bought the superduty pressure line from napa and everything else just went together.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I am using the stock track bar bracket with no issues and wasn't hard at all to get is and lined up. I can shoot you some pics, what yr line did you buy to swap the box?
Old 06-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

2005 steering box and track bar mount. All swap parts are from an 05 except rear leafs. I had to hack up the front of the mount (front of truck) and weld on some angle iron to grab s new front hole. To get the bracket to sit properly against the crossmember the front hole was off the frame. I'll get some pictures of what I ended up with. If you have some pics I'd like to see it.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

The power steering line was just from an 05 as well
Old 06-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Got a part number & or pic of the power steering line?
06' Axles
Old 06-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

I'm out of town for work but when I get home on Friday I will. I think it's in this thread somewhere. Let me see if I can find it. I know NAPA had it in stock.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Looks like part no is NAPA 73559. Hope that helps!