Best 4r100 Rebuild Kits and Torque Converters

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
So my dad's 2003 7.3 has 509,000 miles on it and the original 4r100. Over the weekend, we diagnosed that we have a cracked flexplate causing a God awful racket at idle that goes away with a few rpm. For now we are going to just drop the tranny and replace the flex plate, since he is now driving my 99 7.3 manual and I am driving our 79 International Scout while we wait on parts. Needless to say I want my truck back. However, we are looking at the possibility of needing to rebuild the 4r100 here soon even though she doesn't slip at all and shifts through all of the gears great. I want to get a current opinion on the best build kit and TC options for a truck that will never see more than 350HP but tows around 16k lbs regularly and around 7k daily. We are looking to keep this fairly cost effective - buying good quality parts but not overbuilding it to the level of a sled truck. I guess I better include that it is 4x4 with its only current modifications including a 6637 air filter for dealing with jobsite dust. Here soon we will be looking at a EBPV ****** pedestal and High Flow outlet with a billet wheel from Riffraff. At that point we hope to get a DP tuner from Jody as well as a Mishimoto tranny cooler and 4 in exhaust. We are going to keep it at the 350 to 365 range HP wise for durability since this is the main workhorse of our concrete pump. He doesn't flog this truck around as can be evidenced by the life of the tranny but would like a bit more power for towing up 421 and I77 around here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the input. Don't forget, it still isn't dead yet. I dropped it out today to realize I had only three bolts left holding the thing in, one of which is the bolt through the dipstick that I replaced 2 weeks ago, which was completely rattled out when I did that. The last two that leaves were only snug so I am now wondering if the tranny was bouncing around a bit and is what cracked the flex plate.
62306dcde66a233feb6542de8ee6409d.jpg
13d6d8338481ec750e28c32996eb55db.jpg

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Just an update, truck has the new mounts, flexplate, and bolts in and runs nice and quiet and smooth.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Probably an oem flex plate I assume ?! Glad you got it all working!

Yes to your answer on the cracked flex plate! That thing takes a lot of chit from the tc and any misalignment just multiplies the stress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What the **** is your issue?

Like a bitch that likes to hear himself talk

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Yeah factory Ford flexplate. That to me was the only way to go since it is a stock truck and the factory platewas $175 and the billet ATS is nearly $800. Thanks

DieselDC

Reaction score
What the **** is your issue?

Like a bitch that likes to hear himself talk

Dude calm down I don’t know what’s your problem. Read the thread - it’s for his dad and it had 500k on it. If it’s for his dad, I don’t think his dad would want to throw money in for a billet flex plate. One would like to assume it was probably an oem or used flex plate that he replaced.

The OP will answer your question in due time but I was only “guessing” as to what he would replace it with man. Men now-a-day are so overly sensitive. You’re like my daughter.

To the OP I apologize I answered/guessed for you.

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Dude calm down I don’t know what’s your problem. Read the thread - it’s for his dad and it had 500k on it. If it’s for his dad, I don’t think his dad would want to throw money in for a billet flex plate. One would like to assume it was probably an oem or used flex plate that he replaced.

The OP will answer your question in due time but I was only “guessing” as to what he would replace it with man. Men now-a-day are so overly sensitive. You’re like my daughter.

To the OP I apologize I answered/guessed for you.

No problem, I was kinda scratching my head as to what everyone was up in arms about but what you said was correct.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Sorry, was like the 3rd post I seen from that guy thats completely useless. Seems like a spammer to get post count up to sell doozel parts.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Sorry, was like the 3rd post I seen from that guy thats completely useless. Seems like a spammer to get post count up to sell doozel parts.

Please quote me what I said that was useless for the OP.

I certainly don’t see you adding anything useful b/c it looks like what the OP asked, I answered. Rebuild kit and a TC. I recommended both and he seemed to appreciate the recommendations. BTW, I purchased both those items b4 - what did you bring to the table? 🤦*♂️

Latest posts

Members online