Anyone put an oil bypass oil filter on their '17 yet?

agentnut

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has put an Amsoil bypass oil filter on their '17 yet? I know that several have done it to their 2011-2016 6.7's but just wanna make sure it's still compatible with the '17s before I bite the bullet and get one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
Lol, yep. I’ve got quite a few guys running mine.
f9265b70c54fd5bb544291d0bc1dc27c.jpg
161a0573cd7a5756ba16ae653bdc3880.jpg
955f39f224eb2b0e846c5068e9f6a749.jpg

That’s with 8100 miles on the oil. And it was as retarded sooty with the Mexico tune, like, realllllllly bad. It’s actually cleaner now than when I changed the oil.

agentnut

Reaction score
Lol, yep. I’ve got quite a few guys running mine.
f9265b70c54fd5bb544291d0bc1dc27c.jpg
161a0573cd7a5756ba16ae653bdc3880.jpg
955f39f224eb2b0e846c5068e9f6a749.jpg

That’s with 8100 miles on the oil. And it was as retarded sooty with the Mexico tune, like, realllllllly bad. It’s actually cleaner now than when I changed the oil.

Thanks! Just wanna make sure there's no big changes with the new year of trucks. I'll definitely run one once I do my first oil change. I've only got 600 miles on it and plan to do it at 2500 and put some Lubricant Engineering oil in it as well.

agentnut

Reaction score
Can someone school me on the benefit of this product?

The standard oil filter filters particles as small as 20 microns (I think that's the number) and can't get much smaller than that to keep the engine fed with oil. A by-pass filter adds another filter that can filter particles as small as 1 micron and filters at a much lower rate than the larger ones.

JRLott

Reaction score
Thanks! Just wanna make sure there's no big changes with the new year of trucks. I'll definitely run one once I do my first oil change. I've only got 600 miles on it and plan to do it at 2500 and put some Lubricant Engineering oil in it as well.

Give Jim a call. He’s showing as Jim.Kukulskwhatfever, but he’s Jimdawg or something. Elite lubrication Specialties. He’ll take good care of you with extra filtration and LE oil.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
The standard oil filter filters particles as small as 20 microns (I think that's the number) and can't get much smaller than that to keep the engine fed with oil. A by-pass filter adds another filter that can filter particles as small as 1 micron and filters at a much lower rate than the larger ones.

More or less this is correct. I’ll add that oil film clearance between the bearing and the journal, or most any film, is between 1 and 6 um. So the full flow Filtration doesn’t really capture much of the particles that are responsible for long term bearing wear. I like to think about it this way, Full flow Filtration is like a boulder catcher. It grabs the larger stuff to keep catastrophic failures to a minimum. But, it’s not designed to really polish the oil at all. And, I’m high flow stated it may actually not filter the oil at all if it goes into bypass. A kidney loop/off line/ or bypass filtration is for polishing the oil down to clearance sized particles. It removes soot more effectively(as soot particles are generally sub micron, it catches them if the add pack in the oil assists) this can also assist in helping the add pack last longer, but that’s the case mostly with less expensive oils. As their packs trend downward quicker with more ingressed contamination. Higher quality oils packs deal with contamination much more effectively, so it’s quite nuanced to explain the details here, so I’ll avoid it for now.

Latest posts

Members online