CTS2 Camera Wiring Question???

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I've searched quite a few forums and online but haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I run my CTS2 on the 12V standalone kit so it is NOT plugged into the OBD2 port. I was told the backup camera only works with the cts2 plugged into the OBD so it reads the trucks in reverse and powers the camera to turn on... Does anyone know if this is true? Ideally I would like to have a backup camera wired to my upfitter that I could power on whenever I like and have it display on my cts2 when I flip the switch. I don't know how the cts2 automatically switches back and forth from the camera input so I'm not sure if this setup would work. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy S7

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Interested to know as well....

Have you tried calling the edge support line or dropping them an email?

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Interested to know as well....

Have you tried calling the edge support line or dropping them an email?
Honesty just started looking into it tonight. Haven't contacted them yet. I probably will if nobody has experience doing it this way. I might just get a $20 Amazon camera that's identical to the EDGE and give it a shot if nobodies tried it.

Sent from my Galaxy S7

JRLott

Reaction score
That sounds like the easy way. That’s just not right. LOL.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
So with the CTS2 there is no way to automatically switch to the camera no matter how you wire it unless you use the OBD2 port to read the vehicles gear. But after talking with tech as long as you have a camera that has constant 12v key on power and the correct RCA cable you can manually view the camera whenever you want to. The CTS2 does not have a menu option in settings to do this. All you do is swipe the screen to display the camera. So my original idea to run it to an upfitter would be pointless in this case. Basically will accomplish the same result I wanted minus the upfitter. Ordering a cam now to give it a try.

Sent from my Galaxy S7

Rubenk

Reaction score
So with the CTS2 there is no way to automatically switch to the camera no matter how you wire it unless you use the OBD2 port to read the vehicles gear. But after talking with tech as long as you have a camera that has constant 12v key on power and the correct RCA cable you can manually view the camera whenever you want to. The CTS2 does not have a menu option in settings to do this. All you do is swipe the screen to display the camera. So my original idea to run it to an upfitter would be pointless in this case. Basically will accomplish the same result I wanted minus the upfitter. Ordering a cam now to give it a try.

Sent from my Galaxy S7

Mine switches when it gets a video signal. The camera is powered by my reverse light, so it only powers and sends a signal when i'm in reverse.

I think....its been a while since I installed it lol

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Mine switches when it gets a video signal. The camera is powered by my reverse light, so it only powers and sends a signal when i'm in reverse.

I think....its been a while since I installed it lol
I'm going to try it and see before I get it completely installed. If that's the case like i was originally hoping I'll wire the power to the camera on my upfitter but I'm pretty sure the camera has to has constant 12v power and you have to switch to the feed manually. I was told the only way to make it automatically switch is with the obd2 reading gear selection. But I'm going to try it out a few ways just to see what works. Wouldn't be the first time customer service didn't know everything about their product.

Sent from my Galaxy S7

Rubenk

Reaction score
I'm going to try it and see before I get it completely installed. If that's the case like i was originally hoping I'll wire the power to the camera on my upfitter but I'm pretty sure the camera has to has constant 12v power and you have to switch to the feed manually. I was told the only way to make it automatically switch is with the obd2 reading gear selection. But I'm going to try it out a few ways just to see what works. Wouldn't be the first time customer service didn't know everything about their product.

Sent from my Galaxy S7

Did a little more reading and it looks like I was incorrect. Guys with manual trans have to go into menu and hit camera for it to work. My camera is just powered by reverse light, but it does get reverse signal from OBD port.

You can swipe left from the main screen to quickly bring up the camera though.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Did a little more reading and it looks like I was incorrect. Guys with manual trans have to go into menu and hit camera for it to work. My camera is just powered by reverse light, but it does get reverse signal from OBD port.

You can swipe left from the main screen to quickly bring up the camera though.
10-4. Camera should be here tomorrow so gonna try to get it installed Monday night

Sent from my Galaxy S7

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Camera arrived today. Set it up real quick just to see if it works and it does! Just hooked up the hot and ground and plugged the RCA in. Swipe function works great. Not bad for a $19 Esky camera. Now to get it installed 100% and hide some wires.

http://youtu.be/Ij1I7KhAob8

Sent from my Galaxy S7

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Got it finished up tonight. Below is some comparison shots at night.

1 - Baseline shot behind the truck showing how dark it is.
2 - Just Infared lights on Camera
3 - Infared lights on Camera + OEM reverse lights
4 - LED backup pods

Obviously for a $19 camera I wasn't expecting much but I'm pleasantly surprised how well it does for pitch black infared. Fuzzy but good enough not to hit something. The picture quality improves greatly the more ambient light there is. Time will tell how long it lasts but so far I'm happy with it.
65a69a91ba88f82b32289f3df2123a30.jpg
4a3331a4131162981e72e86700bb3552.jpg
a858d52d6dc3b907a49b78026b7b55e9.jpg
fb1d94906c07d3767d2aa3d00bc2caaa.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S7

Latest posts

Members online